In Memory of Surf ~ TNet Member

surface2

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I am surf's youngest daughter. I'm sure some of you on here know who surf is. This site was his favorite to be on ALL the time. (along with antique-bottles.net) Was this site once an aqua blue color?

I'm sure some of you are curious as to how he died and I see no harm in educating others about it. Surf fell sick in the past month and first resisted going to the doctor (not a fan) and probably believed it was just a bug at first. When he finally got an appointment he got blood work and found he had elevated enzyme levels in his liver, which lead to cirrhosis (he is not a drinker nor known to have hep); which led to a discovery of liver cancer.* A disease that claimed his mother's life. The discovery of cirrhosis and the liver cancer all happened within two weeks. His prognosis was that he had weeks to live. He didn't believe this would be what checked him out. He went into cardiac arrest May 3rd around 4am and lost his life. He was 63 years old.

He was an avid Hawaiian shirt wearer, watcher of crime dramas, lover of mystery fiction, smoker of menthol cigarettes, past Cleveland Indians season ticket holder, e-s-o-t-e-r-i-c, and he LOVED digging for bottles. He absolutely loved antique bottles. He often risked digging in dangerous, often ghetto areas where he did not belong. "But that's where the good ones are at." He once had a group of young black kids throw rocks at him while in the pit "Go home, whitey!", they said. When he first told me, it made me cringe and very upset. I told him to stop going to those areas or he very well may become a victim of violence. "But who is going to mess with the old crazy white guy with sharp tools?" The thought of it makes me smile now. My last good memory with him was going to Sokolowski's University Inn for dinner this past winter. I had never been and I asked him while visiting town if we could go. It is a Polish cafeteria style, roll-your-sleeves-up kinda place. Every time I ate at a restaurant with my dad he said "It's okay." Even at the most upscale restaurants. Out to dinner at Sokolowski's, he said "This is so good." The first time in my life I have ever heard him call any meal that. He went back to the end of the cafeteria line and kissed his hands. "Compliments to the chef!"

2wd22k5.jpg

Rest in Paradise, Dad.

Please educate yourself about liver cancer. It is hard to detect early on, even with check ups. The average age of diagnosis is 63. Men are at a much higher risk of liver cancer than women. To read more: Liver cancer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am pretty young and this is going to be hard, but I will be so strong for you.

*The doctors were not 100% sure if it was metastic cancer or not. We had another doctor look at his charts at a separate hospital that believed it was metastic colon cancer spread to his liver.

14cd1js.jpg

angel_detector.jpg

surf
Silver Member
silver.gif

Join Date Jan 10, 2013
Last Activity Apr 22, 2014 04:43 PM

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/51934.html

Sympathy2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm so sorry you lost your Dad while he was still young! I'm 63 and feel Ive lost a brother! My prayers go out to Surf, you and your family!

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm so sorry for your lost. Surf was an invaluable member to this forum and from what you wrote, a great man. We will all miss him.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear, I am so very sorry you all have to go through this.
You are a dear heart helping and educating others through your sorrows, ty.
May Peace and Love keep you all, always and comfort you all.
RIP Mr. Surf

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
R.I.P. Surf

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was fairly good friends with Surf on here - we talked a-lot in PM's about all sorts of stuff and had many discussions in the threads through out the time i have been here... I am going to miss yah Surf. I don't know what else more to say - you were a good friend.

This is from the year 1815: Reader, while you mingle your tears with the sorrows of surviving friends,hear the loud, the emphatic language, which such a life, and such a death, address to you... Do they not proclaim that "vital religion forms the loveliest character here, and is the best, and the only preparation, for a better world?

Rest easy Surf !

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My prayers go out to you and the rest of your family.Thanks for letting us know.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy diggin Surf! Condolences to your loved ones. Bet you,ll have a house built of old bottles to welcome them.

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sorry I did not know him. But he sounds like a great guy. Lost my Mother to Cancer also. Sorry for your lost.:sadsmiley:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. Surf was one of my friends here on TNet. He and I saw eye to eye on ID-ing items. Thank you for letting us know the details; I sure it was difficult for you to write about him, and we certainly appreciate it. He will be missed by many here on TNet.

May God bless you and your family.

Rest in peace Surf.

Sincerely,
Breezie

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very sorry to hear. ..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rest in Paradise, SURF Chug and Red

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am sorry for your loss,surf was the best, i always liked his comments and sad to hear he is gone.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so sorry for your loss. Surf was always so nice and helpful sharing his knowledge . When he gave you a thumbs it meant you had nailed it. He will be greatly missed.

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Thank you for posting. I am so very sorry for your loss.

He was one of my favorite people here. Treasurenet and I will miss him and his exceptional contributions to the site.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A memorial for Surf will be set up possibly tomorrow on TNet's Memorial thread.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our thoughts and prayers and hugs to you and your family.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so sorry about your father.
His intelligence.. wit.. And kind heartedness made its way through my computer screen every time I conversed with him on anything.. Or I was lucky enough to benefit from the depth of knowledge he brought to treasurenet.... His passion was obvious as I'm sure it was outside of this relatively small venue.
Peace to you and your family... And thank you for taking the time to relay this news.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread