gold nuggets on mountion

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends what the terrain looked like millions of years ago.Many Tertiary river gravels are found on mountain tops and are sometimes terrifically rich

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are two types of placers that can be on a mountain side. When weathering attacks a gold bearing vein or bedrock deposit, and the gold is not moved and is concentrated in place by oxidation and other chemical processes, this is called an eluvial placer. When this material moved downhill by various weathering processes, it is called a colluvial placer. If this material somehow ends up in a stream or river, then it is called an alluvial placer. This is one where water is the primary mover and concentrator.

slimfarris

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2008
Hi everyone, I found my first nugget at Stanton on a Why not Prospecting Claim on the side of a ridge about 14-15 feet (vertical) or 20-25 feet linear from the crest. Used a ML4000 and was near power lines so lots of EM interferance. 2.9 grams. I am sure it was mostly luck but found it after 7 weeks after getting my detector. I read several forums and AZO had a post by Montana about how Au was formed with lots of good info submitted by Reno Chris a mining engineer I believe. The washes had so much trash I had decided to give it a try. Like the say it is where you find it. Good Luck and just keep swinging.

flyspekau

Apr 2, 2008
Fresno Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Yes side of hill in area where hydrolic mining accured, all nuggets many different sizes not on bedrock just sitting shallow under red dirt probably followed the erosion of the hill is my guess from some source thats not been found

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find most of mine on the side of a hill. I only detect the creek if it has bedrock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread