Flour Gold and best way to refine and sell

themarques

Sep 28, 2008
Hello everyone, first off thank for all your vast information on the do's and dont's in this business. I have been sourcing flour gold for the last couple of months and have accumulated quite a bit.

The question is I am getting ready to sell it but would like to know the following,

i) should I bother to buy one of those Electromelts and refine it myself and which one is the best.
ii)Are there any other tools il require for the refining besides the melter.
iii)how easy is it to use the automatic electric melters
iv)having tested the gold with an acid test it shows me that the gold is around 18k+ how much would I expect to make on an ounce once smelted etc.
v)finally do we expect the price to creep back in the coming months to the 900+ or is that just wishful thinking?

Once again thanks for taking the time to read my thread and look forward to receiving your help. ???

Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

From what I hear refining gold is very hard... :icon_scratch: You need all types of equipment, acids and other things. That can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. People tend to think put it in a hot pan and it will melt and separate. :icon_study: There are refineries that will give you cash for your gold my fav. one is http://www.midwestrefineries.com/

keep @ it and HH!!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: How many ozs?? All refiners have a min. amount they will process-the honest ones anyhow. David fell Co has 35 HONEST years in biz www.dhfco.com they have many options for payment.LA company with extremely fast turnaround-tons a au 2 u 2-John :icon_sunny:

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those companies are great if you want to take less for whats there...and of course if you want to help pay for that big companies advertising, secretaries, CEO's etc. Big companies are in it to make money. After you get done with the fees. well, yeah they cant conjure money up out of nowhere. They conjur it up in fees and giving you less.

There are some things that you should know when picking a refiner.
First off, deal with one people have delt with. Seems like everyone on this board pimps that midwest place...reason why, they found it on the internet. I try to help other Tnet members, I should expect they should also try to help me, and many do. this site is about supporting and helping each other, and should not be about supporting big faceless companies.
There are others out there that pay higher and dont charge fees.
For example. I pay %98 and charge no refining fees. and yes, we do placer all the time for people. but I dont have a huge building to cover, I dont have expensive employees and dont live an extravagant lifestyle. I work and deal in metals.

For your enjoyment I have posted a pic I did just last week, sorry for the low grade cell phone pics, Some of the pics are higher quality. but of late we have been processing 10 to 50 ounces a week.
Of course from there it ends up in coins or bullion form to satisfy the needs of investors and collectors, and a good chuck also gets cast into fine jewelery.

now, about melting gold dust.
Anytime you melt gold placer you get whats called a melt loss. this is the sand, quartz, black sand and everything that is not gold, going into the flux. melt one ounce of flour gold out of the stream, you will not get a 1 oz blob of alloy, it can be as high as %10, look at the pictures I have posted, some of it has black sand and sand in there still, this is normal.
Then you have the alloy. Its usualy consistent on smaller stuff like this dust.
The dust in the picture is about 85% Fine by weight, after a 7% melt loss the gold its self is about %92 fine, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, but on average. gold from this mine is in that range.

Also if you have enough you will have enough to make silver recovery feasible. In the picture shown the small silver blob is just pure .999 silver from gold dust alloy.
Of that 13 oz of dust I got 11.08 oz of gold. just over an ounce of silver, and the rest was copper or melt loss.

Attachments

• Blanks.jpg
    Blanks.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,468
  • 1209081312.jpg
    1209081312.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 9,040
  • 1210081556.jpg
    1210081556.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 8,752
  • GOLDPILE.jpg
    GOLDPILE.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 7,921
  • barsGOLDx2.jpg
    barsGOLDx2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2,904
  • Blanks.jpg
    Blanks.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,128

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: THANX--TOOOOOOO many folks rant and rave at refiners for ripping them off when they don't even know the difference in weight in a troy vs US ounce. I get a chuckle at some who can't figure out why they can't get spot for 12/14 kt gold too ;D There are a lot of honest refiners who have been righteously slandered. This is why I mention Fell-35 years in the biz !!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John :icon_sunny:

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
Dave,
The reason we "pimp" that Midwest place is because we are happy with the service. I respect what you do, and enjoy your posts, but you are also basically a nameless face to me. While most of us have never physically stepped on to the premises of Midwest Refineries, we are happy with the job they do. They are not one of the rip-off companies running ads on t.v.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are ALL nameless faces to each other in this yahoo cyberworld. We all post our thoughts and beliefs---and chance the inevitable round a bs for it. Been doing it on this,and many other forums for over 12 years. I try to meet as many new faces as possible and have also refered folks to midwest myself--only to be righteously attacked--hence Fell--who nobody seems to squak about. look forward to a face to face someday--cup a joe or a cold beer sounds great-tons a au 2 u2 -John

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
True, its sad how some of those TV places only pay about %30

I just find it odd is all. Every other group, club, organization etc I have ever been involved with weather it be Scouts, Rotary, local coin clubs, and local prospecting groups have always looked after there own, supported there own members etc. or have been supportive of people in that said local community to help each other succeed.

A lot of what I see is this unfortunate attitude anymore of big box store or no way.
Go to Joes Burger join down the street or McDonalds...guess who wins. Local grocery/hardware store or walmart...guess who wins. Good old USA or China...guess who is gonna win.
The local gas that is actually cheaper or the corporate truck stop...believe it or not, even when the truck stop is more $$$ and its the same gas, people chose the corporate stop.

somehow in our society there is an "avoid the little guy syndrome" And trust big companies because they know whats best for us right? They will take care of you, Walmart will take care of you, The big banks will take care of you right?

Here is my thought on the whole banking scam that just happend. Yes we are making these. And no we are not as small as just an individual anymore. hence why I have not been on in a long time, too darn busy making things. below is a copper token the size of a silver dollar that we have been making. I think says what It needs too.

Attachments

• HARD1.jpg
    HARD1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,124
  • HARD2.jpg
    HARD2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 2,108

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jewlerdave I found you on this forum also. :icon_sunny:
I sent you a PM on the other forum. Interested in your coinage and your web link works on this forum but not the other one.
I signed up for E-Mail notification at your web site.
Have you ever read the Bankers Manifesto of 1892?
Every one should read it.

http://www.redicecreations.com/specialreports/2005/07jul/bankersmanifesto.html

This is a good one :icon_study:

THE BANKERS’ MANIFESTO OF 1934

Capital must protect itself in every way, through combination and through legislation. Debts must be collected and loans and mortgages foreclosed as soon as possible. When through a process of law, the common people have lost their homes, they will be more tractable and more easily governed by the strong arm of the law applied by the central power of wealth, under control of leading financiers. People without homes will not quarrel with their leaders. This is well known among our principle men now engaged in forming an IMPERIALISM of capital to govern the world. By dividing the people we can get them to expend their energies in fighting over questions of no importance to us except as teachers of the common herd. Thus by discrete action we can secure for ourselves what has been generally planned and successfully accomplished.

hard rider

Feb 12, 2007
HOW ABOUT A PICTURE OF THE GOLD COINS YOU MAKE,I'D BE INTERESTED IN COINS INSTEAD OF A BRICK,THANKS,MEL

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_sunny: J Daves' coind are righteous--and no I don't work for him/not a relative/just after 50+ years a gold grubbn' I know excellent quality goodies-Tons a au 2 u 2-John PS EXTREMELY INTERESTING POST ON GOLDDREDGER.COM--UNDER PROSPECTING--SELLING GOLD!!!! :tard:

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the kind words John
That is interesting to see, I found that post you were talking about, And what he says is true, Colorado Arkansas river Gold does run about 85% thats actually whats in one of the pictures up above.
When its clean. ie no black sand or very little, I will end up getting 85% and one time 86%
I generally, if clean, Just buy it outright from guys at %83
I wish that guy had posted what the refining report said. Id love to see that one.
I am more apt to belie the guy who found the gold than the refiner on that case. I know how anal most prospectors are about cleaning all the black sand out of there gold. And Arkansas river gold is always fine dust. I have found on larger nuggets there can be small rocks and other junk hidden in them. But micron gold, dust, little flakes and colors. Particularly in a river as big as the Arkansas is pretty darn consistent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread