Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Upvote 0

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
You need to research detectors. Your looking for a VLF or a P.I. for gold. Some of use love whites and some minelab. This subject has been beat to death. All I can say is research them all. Whites and Minelab are the top two gold detectors, and the most expensive on the market. But they work. The guys I know who make a living from nuggets (over 70 grand a year but there never home) are using these detectors. :thumbsup:

IDdesertman

Dec 8, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, Gold Bugs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think for small nuggets fairly shallow like you describe a Gold Bug 2, GMT or MXT would actually do better than the higher priced machines that go deep. You could get any of those machines for less than a $1000.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_sunny: Detectors are like women--one mans pleasure is anothers pain ! I much prefer the GB 2 and the Tesoro LST-smallest coils for ease of use(less weight,move around objects much easier,more sensitive to smaller gold) and MADE IN AMERICA BY AND FOR AMERICANS-best warranities too--oops and keep that extra $$ 4 grand in your pocket where it belongs-tons a au 2 u 2-John :thumbsup:

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
I would also agree that you want a GB2, GMT, or MXT for your needs. A PI detector will not pick up the size gold that you are after. The GB2 and the GMT will with the GMT being better in hot ground.

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
I would disagree with what was said about a P.I. not picking up small gold. Using a 10x5 Joey Elliptical mono Search coil made by coiltek (213.00) you will find pennyweight and smaller all day long. It's all about the coil.

DsrtBpr

Jan 25, 2009
SAZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD/GPX, White's TDI, GMT
Here's my opinion and hope this helps. I've been swinging detectors for quite some time now and over those years I've bought traded and borrowed just about every make and model. Some do better than others for sure. Today I own a White's GMT, a Gold Bug 2 and my trusty ol' friend the Goldmaster 2 she sure can sniff em out and ain't never let me down!
Now if you don't mind diggin and swingin a ton and the extra few grand, shoot for the ML cause she goes deep and runs smooth in hot ground. But green and swingin 10 hours or so you'll be a hurtin unit come morning and that may be enough to put her in the dust collector instead of working.
If most your diggin is 8" or less and freckles stick to the Gold Bug2 or Goldmasters. Cons-She (GB2) only speaks one language all the time but a trained ear and in experienced hands, she's as smooth as silk. I found I get slightly more depth with my Goldmasters and I love the language they speak! She smile's when she's found it and you'll get to know that language intimately if there's gold to be had.
My advice is to find a good dealer and run em all, in the end, you'll know who goes home with you.

Take care and happy hunting!

DsrtBpr

OP
OP
B

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Thanks for the replies. I have an XT 70, but it drives me nuts on hot rocks, and doesn't seem to pick up small nuggets over about an inch away.

Willy

i had an XT 70 and found that while it was more sensitive than the MXT (HF DD elliptical vs 6x10" Eclipse) the MXT has a MUCH better ground tracking system, which makes it functionally better. The F75 is more sensitive than either.. with the stock coil to boot, but no tracking. I'd say "Bite the bullet and get a GMT"; it's about the best VLF nuggetshooter out there. A runner-up would be the MXT. ..Willy.

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi barber,

I will go along with the people who say try a detector to be sure. Any of the better nugget hunting VLF's will work but may not detect the wheat grain size nuggets to the depth you mentioned. To be honest, a lot depends upon the nuggets and their characteristics.

As for a PI, absolutely make sure to test them. PI's do not like small gold nearly as well as a good nugget hunting VLF unit, contrary to all the propaganda out there.

As a perfect example, I have a few nuggets commonly referred to as "invisible nuggets" I use for testing that even the newest ML model can't detect even though they are several almost a half gram in size and I have had several of the better known GP owners try. Some Whites TDI's will get a whisper if these nuggets are rubbed on the coil, but that is all. These same nuggets generate a nice strong signal on a VLF, but can only be detected to maybe 3 inches or so.

The point is, there is much more to the nuggets than just the size that makes a nugget detectable with a PI. Very coarse small nuggets have a tendency to be even harder to detect than very solid small nuggets.

The PI will work much smoother around hotrocks, but if it can't detect the gold, then it will be too smooth. So, once again, make sure to take time to test different detectors to see what works and what doesn't for you.

Now, I have a TDI, a ML SD2200, a GS 5, and a specially designed light weight low powered PI that can detect much smaller gold better than any of the other above mentioned PI's and I wouldn't say for certain that low powered PI would work fine on the gold you mentioned without trying it.

As for the nugget hunting VLF's, I have a Fisher GB 2, a Whites GM 4, a Tesoro LST, a Treasure Baron Gold trax, a ML XT18000, an older Lobo, and another older ML VLF. Of those detectors, I give the edge to the GB 2 or the GM4, with the XT18000 a close second. The XT18000 does have a little better auto ground balance in my opinion and is a little easier for a novice to use in my opinion. The LST is good also, but not quite as good on the real small stuff.

Once again, people's preferences are not the same, so it really is a good idea to test any and all models you think you might want to use to see if it really fits your needs. What one person might like another may not and visa versa.

Regardless of the one you end up with, I strongly suspect you will not be able to detect most of the smaller wheat grain size nuggets more than a few inches deep at best.

Reg

OP
OP
B

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
Thanks for the replies. Is the Minelab 18000 the same frequency as the old 16000? I have one of the old Minelab 16000, but haven't tried it.

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XT18000 is a three frequency detector. One can select 6.4K 20k or 60K. The older 1600 only had one frequency I believe, the 6.4k. The higher frequencies did a little better on the smaller gold such as you mentioned. You might try your xt1600 to see how it does if you have any of the gold available for testing.

Now, one reason I gave the GB 2 the slight edge is I like the disc feature. It works very well even on the small gold. At least it does on my unit. In really bad areas where there are a lot of the pesky red hotrocks, one can use the disc mode to eliminate them. You do lose a little depth when using the disc mode, but in bad ground it is better than giving up.

Reg

OP
OP
B

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
How is the Scorpion on hot rocks, that's what drives me nuts. I really appreciate all the replies, and all the patience with my questions.

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
personally i don't sell metal detectors and don't care what you buy, but let me repeat what i said in the infinium vs 2200 forum. I just got back with four quartz pieces about three inches square and they where about four inches deep. I had to bring them home and put them under the microscope to see the gold. That was the sd 2200 minelab. If there is somebody out there selling the 2200 for 1200.00 dollars you better jump on that if your going to get serious about chasing gold. I have been doing this since the early 60's and I have used every brand imaginable and have never had anything impress me as much as that 2200.When we first got the 2200 we was about ready to trash it because we didn't think anything would detect as small as what we were holding in our hand. We were wrong.

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
hello all,my experience as a gmt owner,last couple years,wheat grain sized pieces,gmt any coil woll get it at 2 to 4 inches on average.you would definitely be in manual tracking,checking gb very often,run slightly positive gb.they are easy to pinpoint with and not much digging.as a ml 4500 owner,7 months,and yes,as someone above posted,commander 8inch round,6inch round sniper,6x10 joey mono,these coils approach the gmt in very small gold detection.when im done searching all the available shallow bedrock,i could then put on larger mono coil,say a 14r or 14e,and continue to hunt the deeper bedrock that my trusty gmt could never hope to succeed in.i always carry 3 extra coils.did i sell my gmt upon getting the minelab? NOPE,still love the gmt.enjoy occasionaly taking both out in the field same time.thats rarely practical.when theres only shallow bedrock,known in advance,gmt detector of the day.after learning the 4500,digging the sometimes huge holes required,gmt can be relaxing experience.but when the gmt was my only stick,i was always wondering what i was leaving behind,in the deeper material.from everything i have read,a tdi or a 2200 ml with extra coils ,either would be a great starter pi. and far more affordable. :icon_pirat:

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Beyond any doubt, get a MXT with a 6X9 coil. With the auto balance and better depth than a GB2, you will be finding nuggets, if they are there, within 10 seconds of turning the unit on. You also have the option of other modes like coin and jewelry, and relic modes. It is truly one of the best machines that any amount of money can buy.....jim

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Willy said:
i had an XT 70 and found that while it was more sensitive than the MXT (HF DD elliptical vs 6x10" Eclipse) the MXT has a MUCH better ground tracking system, which makes it functionally better. The F75 is more sensitive than either.. with the stock coil to boot, but no tracking. I'd say "Bite the bullet and get a GMT"; it's about the best VLF nuggetshooter out there. A runner-up would be the MXT. ..Willy.

I couldnot agree more, Willy, except that I would opt for the MXT first and the GMT second. The MXT gives you the added fuction of being able to coin shoot and relic shoot with the 2 extra modes.....jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread