Recommended Equipment for 1st nugget hunting trip

thoughmas

Greenie
Jul 30, 2008
Hi everyone! I appreciate all the great conversations going on in this forum. Last year I picked up a Mineline X-Terra 70 and I've been detecting around my city (Sacramento). I can now say I really know my detector and I'm planning a trip to placer county, CA (motherload) this spring for some nugget hunting. I already have the high frequency coil for this VLF detector.

What kind of supplies should I bring? Here's what I have...

Detector with a few coils.
Miners pick with rare earth magnet at end
Bucket
Gold pan
Gloves
Shovels
Maps of BLM owned land and where claimed up land is located in Placer County, Ca.
A few knives

I'll be going up there with 1 or 2 buddies.

Do you think its necessary to bring a gun? I dont own one right now but I have enough time to buy one. If so what caliber is recommended? Is it necessary for the Sierras? Anyone ever have to use a gun while detecting/nugget hunting?

Any advise would help and if you could share your experiences from your first time nugget hunting that would be great as well.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
P

pippinwhitepaws

a nice little pry bar is a wonderful tool...i have been up in that area, and while the rocks are round, they really stick together...sad to loose a nugget signal because you didn't have a prybar to check it out.

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
You might want to pick up a GPS unit. as far as the rare earth magnet I would say no because if it get near your detector box or your wallet it can wipe out the memory on the detector and destroy the mag strip on your c cards. As the gun goes small and compact I carry a HK 45 cal it heavy and not a compact. You should go no smaller then 40 cal. Don't even think about a 9mm. Take this advice from a 20 yr scout sniper.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
srferjo714 said:
You might want to pick up a GPS unit. as far as the rare earth magnet I would say no because if it get near your detector box or your wallet it can wipe out the memory on the detector and destroy the mag strip on your c cards. As the gun goes small and compact I carry a HK 45 cal it heavy and not a compact. You should go no smaller then 40 cal. Don't even think about a 9mm. Take this advice from a 20 yr scout sniper.
I ditto that entirely on the gun part.....but know the laws in Kalif,you might end up gun less and on the way to jail if you dont. :wink:

DsrtBpr

Jan 25, 2009
SAZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD/GPX, White's TDI, GMT
I good comfortable pair of "Non-Metallic" metal detecting boots for sure!

5.11 Tactical boot like the Desert HRT or Converse Foot Pursuit 100% non-metallic.

Happy Hunting! DsrtBpr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: Read the map legend--it specifically states that it does NOT LIST plots smaller than "80 acres" and are purt' near worthless as to claims. You must hit the county tax office to ascertain who owns what in a specific area. With all the posted claimjumpers caught AND PROSECUTED in placer county--you don't want to be one of them with his mug on the internet for millions to see--printed out and put on the shoot first list!! I know of at least a dozen miners on multiple forums who have done this,even posted out on a claim in clear creek canyon too!! GREAT IDEA!!tons a au 2 u 2-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions