Nugget Shooting w/ MXT 300 ***Need advice***

Sierra Kid

Feb 7, 2009
Mojave Desert CA.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300, Falcon MD20
Hello all. Maybe I'm dong something wrong here. I set my MXT up like instruction manual says to for prospecting mode, but it is just too noisy. I find myself going to "Relic" mode and having a better time. I am picking up small stuff so I know its working. Am I missing something by avoiding "Prospecting" mode? There is very high ground mineralization and hot rocks every few feet. Any info would be great. Thanks, Cork

Upvote 0

thoughmas

Greenie
Jul 30, 2008
Sounds like you need to turn the sensitivity down on your machine. I have the Minelab X-terra 70 and in highly mineralized ground I have to turn the sensitivity and then it quiets the machine. However, the catch is that the machine won't detect as deep. I havent used a White's but sounds similar to what all detectorists experience from time to time.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might need to try a DD coil for the high mineralized ground.A small coil works best.

Nullers

Mar 11, 2007
Ridgecrest, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2 White's MXT
I've not had much luck using my MXT for prospecting, been using the Eclipse 6X9 DD. I am able to find bird shot at about four inches, just no gold :'( I prefer to use my GBII for gold hunting.

I'll be interested to hear how you make out with your MXT.

Best of luck to you,
nullers

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
I junked my MXT it did not work for gold but for coins it was great. Now all I use are minelab detectors but that is my choice. Interference can also be caused by powerlines, thunderstorms, hotrocks and mineralization. If you can find a coiltek or nuggetfinder mono coil it might help but don't count on it for gold. Been there done that.

OP
OP
Sierra Kid

Sierra Kid

Feb 7, 2009
Mojave Desert CA.
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the advice. I would like a Minelab, but man they cost$$$$. A buddy also has a GBII. I may look into that for now. Hard to beat the Minelab though. I watch the Youtube videos. They look awesome. Glad its not operator error! For the short term, I'll continue to use Relic mode. Cork. ???

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Nullers said:
I've not had much luck using my MXT for prospecting, been using the Eclipse 6X9 DD. I am able to find bird shot at about four inches, just no gold :'( I prefer to use my GBII for gold hunting.

I'll be interested to hear how you make out with your MXT.

Best of luck to you,
nullers

If you are finding bird shot then it is you and you are not over gold. Turn the sensitivity down to where it is stable, switch on auto ground balance, unless you are over a patch of really bad ground with lots of hot rocksthen ground balance on decent ground for the area and put the ground switch on the right in ground lock, and turn the Sat up to super sat if necessary. It is not a PI but will go deeper and find probably as many nuggets as a GMT or GB2.......Learn your detector and do use the head phones.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

The MXT is the machine of choice at Ganes Creek, Alaska. Hundreds of ounces of nuggets have been found there with the MXT, and they run circles around the Minelab PI units. The reason is hundreds of deep iron and steel targets for every nugget. The PI guys basically dig junk all day while the MXT guys eliminate the vast majority of it and get the gold.

You can use any mode to detect for anything. The sounds change and the meter readout changes but there is little depth difference between the modes. Virtually everyone at Ganes run in Relic Mode with the disc know set just at "2" or a smidge lower. Iron will honk and non-ferrous will chirp.

Note that whenever possible you should dig everything. But if time is limited and the junk thick, like around old campsites, digging everything can be counterproductive.

See http://nevada-outback-gems.com/MXT_files/the_mxt_faq.htm

Steve Herschbach

IDdesertman

Dec 8, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, Gold Bugs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll 2nd what Steve said. Run in Relic, turn the gain all the way up, and set the disc at 2. The machine will either grunt or chirp at you. Dig the chirps....

OP
OP
Sierra Kid

Sierra Kid

Feb 7, 2009
Mojave Desert CA.
Detector(s) used
Here is the coil I am using: 300 LTD 12" Searchcoil
Its the standard coin that came w/ the MXT-300.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Dig a hundred bird shot then maybe, you will dig a nugget.....

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

Jim hit the nail on the head. The 12" concentric is a great coil for low mineral ground (like Ganes) but for high mineral go DD. That pretty much always meant the 5" x 10" elliptical but you now also have the choice of the new 10" round DD or the smaller 4" x 6" elliptical.

If you get into severe hot rocks the Relic Mode set as I described can drive you nuts. Non-stop honking on hot rocks. If you get into rocks that cannot be adjusted for as Jim describes, flick the trigger switch forward and it will suppress the iron honks. This quiets the machine considerably. Note that you are simply rejecting the rocks and that nuggets next to or under the rocks will be lost. But I've found this to be the only way I can run the MXT at my own mining claims at Moore Creek and keep my sanity. An alternative is go to coin mode and crank in just enough disc to reject the hot rocks. Again, there will be gold losses but sometimes you have no perfect solution. Places like that are really what the TDI was designed for.

Use a VLF when you can, use a PI when you have to.

Steve Herschbach

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
You guys need to remember he is not Alaska or the great white north. He is in Southern California. It's diffrent down here. I hunt the El paso range, Randsburg and Yuma. This is where the PI's shine along with the sun.
Where else can you hunt in the dead of winter at 75 to 80 deg. But back to the point If you can't scrap 1200.00 for the minelab SD2200v2 then go with the GBII. I know where you will be hunting and it will work. Up in your area I run a 10x5 coiltek Joey or the new 6" coiltek both mono's if I want to go deeper move up to the 16" mono.
It's all about the tone buy a nugget to know the tone. Trash will sound different. Invest in a good set of head phones like black widows or gray ghosts they will set you back about 125.00 but worth it.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

I'm not forgetting anything. The question was about tips for using the MXT, not what PI to use. I'm all for PI units and use a GPX-4500 myself. But if somebody wants tips on their MXT or whatever then that's what I'll offer. Alaska is far from a homogenous situation as it covers an area the size of the western United States. I own claims with hot rocks bad enough you can't tune them out with a Minelab SD (my GPX will do it) but I can still come up with gold there with an MXT. I'm not saying it is my preferred alternative for that situation but if it was all I had I'd still bring home some gold.

Steve Herschbach

OP
OP
Sierra Kid

Sierra Kid

Feb 7, 2009
Mojave Desert CA.
Detector(s) used
Jim, Steve, Surferjoe,

I appreciate the help. I will set my MXT up per your input and give it a shot. Hopefully in a few weeks i'll be posting some nuggets. ;D

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
I am sure that you will. I had a goldmaster v/stat for years that was 4 generations behind the MXT. The GB2 or GMT will find smaller nuggets close to the surface because of their higher frequencies but the MXT will go deeper with the lower frequencies. With the PIs, you will have to dig everything but you will be digging deeper. The MXT is an excellent choice for a VLF with a 6x10 DD coil. Happy hunting! Steve and Willy know what they are talking about.

Nullers

Mar 11, 2007
Ridgecrest, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2 White's MXT
I would like to thank everyone for the information. I'll have to plug in the DD coil and give it try the next time I'm out :thumbsup:

nullers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread