Gold detector-Garrett Scorpion or Fisher Gold Bug II?

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Upvote 0

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
its all a matter of preference........and what you can afford. You pay for what you get.

db

Willy

A better comparison would be between the GB II and White's GMT.. maybe even throw in a Eureka Gold. The Gold Stinger is a dinosaur and Garrett really should do an upgrade. I've used 3 of these detectors: GMT, GB II, and Stinger. ..Willy.

Desert_Rat

Jun 11, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Amigo II/Diablo uMax/Sidewinder
The GPAA is do there annual gold show. I was the GBII as low as $600 new. No one was carrying the Garrett, which should say a bit. Take a look at the Tesoro Lobo also. If I were getting a VLF nugget machine, I would look at the GBII or Eureka.

Here the link to the GPAA http://www.goldprospectors.org Check for the show in your area, you'll come out with some very good deals. :thumbsup:

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nobody uses the Garrett Gold Stinger anymore. I originally didn't get the GBII because it's only manual ground balance, and that can be a pain in the butt sometimes. I like auto ground balancing, that's why I got the Lobo Super Traq for my first detector, also it has a very large coil selection (about 8). Last year I got the GMT, and I must say that auto tracking feature is the best I've seen. It's also really nice that you can run it in manual ground balance mode. The iron ID feature is really cool because it doesn't take any sensitivity away from the detector like a discrimination mode would.

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for the replies! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I usually do feel that you get what you pay for, but still being a noob I'm not sure how to best compare other than the experiences of the more 'learned'! At this point I haven't even found a good place to go for gold, but I want to someday. I did take my Silver Umax on one gold 'venture', but we didn't find anything that day. The guy I was with had a gold detector and came up empty, so I really never got to see if my little Silver would even pick up anything...other than the wheelbarrow full of nails I'm used to finding! LOL..

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_sunny: Own the GB2 and Tesoro LST with all coils and ALWAYS have had great results no matter how trashy,hot,or boulder strewn--love them small coils-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Willy

I played around with a GB II and didn't find it to be as sensitive as the GMT in that ground. Sure love the ground tracking of the GMT. One thing I failed to mention is that, like the MXT, the GMT 'Iron grunt' and ID can incorrectly call a good target iron in bad ground. This generally happens with tiny stuff and is not unique to White's detectors. ..Willy.

Matt (CA)

Jan 7, 2009
I'm kinda new here, but been thinking of getting one of these prospector machines. I read the posts and get sort of confused. People give opinions but don't support them with information.

From what I can understand the GoldbugII sees smaller particles cause it has a much higher frequency. But how small a nugget will the Stinger see? Also, since the Stinger runs at a lot less frequency, would it handle tougher minerals better? I mean, just how good is the GoldbugII in bad soil by comparison?

Has anyone actually done a side by side test that can give some results and tell us what their minerals were at? This sure would be helpful.

Willy

I did a side by side test between the XTerra 70, MXT, and GB II, and used a Gold Stinger for a few years. I've already posted my results. Essentially, the MXT came out tops in bad ground. I now swing a GMT. ..Willy.

Matt (CA)

Jan 7, 2009
Willy can you tell me where you posted that stuff? That ought to be good to see.

I don't get it. The MXT did so good, why do you swing a GMT instead? Geez, this is confusing to a noobie.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I have used the Gold Stinger for about a year now, and dug thousands of targets with it. I don't have any nuggets in my immediate neck of the woods, so I only used the stinger to find the higher concentrations of black sand in the gold producing river through Edmonton, and that's where I panned for the flour gold. (the pic below is from many years ago of the flour gold I got in Edmonton, before I was metal detecting.)

So my thoughts are, it is an old machine, and it's been around for a long time. Garrett used the same Groundhog Circuitry in the present Stinger as it did in many other machines in the past because it worked well. Now it's not a depth machine by no means. You will have to spend a lot more money to get a machine designed for gold for greater depth, with the top end Minelabs going for over $4,000.00. So what you will get with a Scorpion, is a detector which will find match-sized gold nuggets and larger in lower mineralized soil down to about 4 inches, deeper if they are larger. If you want to get the nuggets which are deeper, you either have to hit a spot which hasn't had much prospecting activity, some luck luck or an expensive detector. The nice thing about the Scorpion is it's price, (will get you into nugget prospecting for less)it's Groundhog circuitry to assist you getting some iffy signals on gold, a manual ground balance to get even greater depth in higher mineralized soil, an auto-turn on and go for both true all metal mode/motion discriminate mode and finally a motion discriminate mode for general coin/relic hunting. It also has a TR mode, which some use to help distinguish hot rocks and also for ore sampling.

gold.jpg

I have discovered that the Scorpion really sounds off on gold rings, silver rings as well as the older round aluminum pulltabs. It is the "BEST" detector I have ever used for Canadian clad, as Canadian coinage is made out of nickel, steel, zinc or steel. So, yes it's an older machine. It takes 3 x 9 volts (recharge ables work great) batteries, which can only be inserted after you remove the detector housing. But what you are getting is a good solid built machine, made in USA and designed to get gold and also works well as a coin shooter brand new for less.

Attachments

• ring (2).jpg
    ring (2).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 2,701

Willy

The GMT will find smaller stuff than the MXT can. It also has manual GB capabilities and a cumulative iron ID function. That said, I might just get another MXT (or go back to it) since I'm so familiar with it. 1/3 grain (15.4 grains= 1 gram.. 480 grains= 1 oz) is pretty tiny and I could get that with the MXT w. 6x10" DD coil. The GMT will find stuff that's even smaller. It all depends on what you're hunting and where. I'll be picking up a Tesoro Diablo uMax in a bit (pretty stoked with that bit of luck) and will see how it stacks up against the GMT. Should be interesting and those Diablo's are rare as hen's teeth. As for my previous posts.. here's one: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,197949.msg1402065.html#msg1402065 and that's all the searching I'm gonna do 'cause, at heart, I'm a lazy bugger. ..Willy.

Matt (CA)

Jan 7, 2009
Well thanks alot Willy, whipped over and read that post. Good stuff. You seem to try out alot of detectors, so I guess you ought to know what works best on your ground. I seem to recall the Diablo name, but its not made anymore right?
Willy how important is that auto ground track? I see even the GoldbugII does not have it, and people seem to like it and think it's a darn good detector for gold huntin. I guess thats a last sort of question, then I gotta figure out everything before going shopping. Thanks very much.

Willy

Well, ground tracking can be a real help when hunting variable ground. A good tracking system will smooth out the ground responses and make for a more enjoyable experience. That and a really fast autotune can allow one to hunt some pretty nasty ground. That's why I like the GMT/MXT. When hunting more homogeneous ground (like bedrock) manual GB can be a real advantage, giving that extra bit of sensitivity to small/deep targets. That's why I picked up the Diablo (discontinued but sought after by many). I'm an unabashed detector slut and keep trying out different different units, but the ground I generally hunt is rather extreme. In fact, some places here will cause fits on a PI. Anyway, the way I look at it is that it's better to have ground tracking and not need/use it than to not have it and end up needing it. That statement is, however, subject to price. If I get a good deal on a manually GB'd detector (Diablo), I'll buy and and use it in a red-hot second. Actually, there's a very good reason for a newbe to pick up a MGB detector.. doing all the work forces a person to learn about how a detector operates and can give you a better 'ear' for what's in the ground. Despite all the the advances in DSP and fast CPU's, the most advanced computer (though watching the daily news seems to refute this) still resides between one's ears. ..Willy.

Matt (CA)

Jan 7, 2009
Thought of something else. When you say the GMT will find smaller stuff than the MXT what does that mean, like into the ground? People here say that sort of thing but they never say if its in the air or ground. In the air don't matter right? People never say what kind of ground neither. Really Willy, whats the practical diff between these two detectors on such small stuff in the ground?

Willy

Here's an example: the GMT will sound off on a 1/10 grain bit of gold whereas the MXT will go down to 1/3 grain. Stuff that small will only be found at shallow depths or on/in bedrock (shallow). As for the depth.. depends on the ground mineralization and operator experience; maybe an inch or so. ..Willy.

Matt (CA)

Jan 7, 2009
That's about what I figured Willy and thanks alot for all your advice on these detectors. Gave me some pretty good ideas so I think I'll see about that MXT. You really helped out. :thumbsup:

Willy

I actually liked the Gold Stinger when I had it, but had to grit my teeth every time the batteries needed changing. I don't know why Garrett didn't see fit to upgrade the unit; it's still a decent performer. Give it Vsat, better battery setup, and possibly ground tracking, and it would still be a top performer. Maybe throw in tone ID for the coin hunters. I had a response from Monte on Finds Tesoro forum where he gave a bit more info on the Diablo. Shame it went out of production since it may be, in some ways, a better detector than the LST. ..Willy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread