looking for a detector that has depth-can u recommend a good one?

goldin boy

Mar 13, 2009
Upvote 0

Willy

If you're hunting in bad ground you're looking at PI. Even then, they won't be picking up small stuff. Minelab, Garrett, White's all make at least one PI that's good on gold for prospecting. Don't just up and get any old PI. It generally has to be designed to handle the conditions found inland. A regular diving/beach PI would most likely leave you sadly disappointed. ..Willy.

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500

Attachments

• jpeg.jpg
    jpeg.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 682

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats because you can find gold the size of a potato a lot deeper than you can find micro gold. So how deep is an ambigous question no one can really answer. I live in colorado. I actually find microscope gold. I use the sd2200 minelab

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Willy said:
If you're hunting in bad ground you're looking at PI. Even then, they won't be picking up small stuff. Minelab, Garrett, White's all make at least one PI that's good on gold for prospecting. Don't just up and get any old PI. It generally has to be designed to handle the conditions found inland. A regular diving/beach PI would most likely leave you sadly disappointed. ..Willy.

Willy,

Good to see you here again! That MXT is a gold magnet. I found one nugget so small the best that can be said was that is was a picker in a pan. It was 2 to 3 inches down in NV at Rabbithole. I ran across a pro prospector who was using a minelab 4000 with battery pack on his back. I got 2xs as many nuggets as he did and all of mine were 3 to 6 inches deep. He was digging holes a foot and a half deep for the same size nuggets and was missing those close to the ground. I would not like digging a foot hole in old river gravel. I am getting lazy in my old age. Full SAT. Gain up high and backed off for ground conditions in Prospecting mode, Auto balance to ground and go. It is that simple. I started using the 10 inch coil but soon swithched to the 6x9 dd, witch turned out to be the best. The DX1 probe was useless for nuggets and I removed it. I did use a swingy thingy that I made up with suspenders and a elastic tie down. The MXT then had no weight. I did find one nugget that was 3/4 of an ounce but I suspect even a Walmart special would have found it. It is a heck of a machine! I found out that the pinpointer does not work in Prospecting Mode. I called the factory and was told by a tech that that fuction is used by the detector in Prospecting Mode. I am at the Kamath River right now and if anyone knows any different, let me know.....jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread