Gold Nuggets and Metal Detectors ??

• Thread starter Charles,Oak Island
  • Start date
C

Charles,Oak Island

I have no experience what so ever in this field and would like some info. I use mainly a Fisher 1280X and a Tesoro PIranha and I know how they respond to gold rings and coins. I realize they usually contain some other metal's. Will the detectors respond to gold nuggets in the same way or not ? Also would the PI unit be better for nugget hunting ?

Upvote 0

IronMike

Nov 2, 2003
Sacramento California
Hi Charles. I will try to relate to you what I know.
I prospect for gold nuggets. I used to have a Whites DI Pro but could not find the time to use it so let it go. I started nugget hunting with a Whites Gold Master VSAT. It is a VLF type detector and designed for finding gold. I have found nuggets just over 1/2 oz. with it and some so small they will not be considered as a nugget but a speck. I once found a screw out of someones eyeglasses. This type of detector has a average depth range of up to 6 or 7 inches, depending on the soil conditions. My main detector I use now is a Minelab GP Extreme. It is a PI type unit and is for serious hunters. While it has draw backs such as battery weight, cords and such, the ability of this maching to punch down deep is worth it for me. It has a wide range of coils available for it and more comming out every day. 1/2 oz. nuggets at 2 feet are not uncommon. This maching loves mineralized soil.
As far as your machines, I have no experience with those types. They are VLF types so I would expect that they would act like my DI Pro and they will find gold but not small gold. You would probably find a 1/2 dwt. nugget around 2 or 3 inches depending ground mineralization. Try to get hold of a gold ear ring, the one that looks like a little round ball bearing, as a test target, it will not be much different than a gold nugget. Hope this helps.
Micheal

OP
OP
C

Charles,Oak Island

Micheal,
thanks for the help. The PIranha is a PI unit and hits deep targets. I tried the earing thing with it. With 6 month old batteries it picked it up at about 5 inches.
Thanks

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold jewelry does not react like nuggets.Your 14k ring is 40% nickel and other metal.Ya gotta use a real nugget to get the truth.Find out if tesoro has DD or deep search wide scan type coils for your VLF detector.Go with smaller coils and next size up.PI units,99%,don't get the smaller gold(garrett fizzle is a good example)VLF Tesoro LST,Fisher Gold Bug 2 are great. Soil condition can vary greatly and in some areas you must use pulse,some vlf and other ya just pull your hair out .Email me for site with TONS and tons a tests on it to read.I won't post other web sites on Marcs forum as I don't deem it honorable to use his forum to publically advertize others .jro@ shasta.com Tons a au 2 u 2-John

OP
OP
C

Charles,Oak Island

Guess I sould have given you guys the monkey wrench in my 1st post. I plain on looking in the deeper parts of creeks say 6-15 ft.

OP
OP
C

Charles,Oak Island

looks like I'll be using the PIranha for this and leaving the 1280X at home.

Tesoro PIranha Metal Detector
SLICES THROUGH SALT WATER AND HEAVY MINERALS
The PIranha is a fully waterproof detector that is easy to operate and delivers superior performance when hunting in the most difficult, mineralised soils. High alkaline content soil and salt wet sand beaches are no challenge for this detector. Pulse Induction technology matched with Tesoro's exclusive Printed Spiral Searchcoil give the PIranha much better response to fine gold coins, jewellery, and gold nuggets. The PIranha also offers another Tesoro exclusive: user interchangeable searchcoils in a variety of sizes. This detector has been used to successfully locate undetectable finds; from relics to fine gold chains-on land and underwater

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread