"Go anywhere" transport

alexnz

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
New Zealand
"Go anywhere" transport

Hi from New Zealand. Its winter here but the gold fever is keeping me warm (and there is no 'bad weather' only 'bad clothing'). I have build myself a " go anywhere maschine" a while ago, for when i can't get any further in my Ute, because of a closed gate or a tight track etc., even my trail bike i couldn't lift over gates and when it comes to having to be quite(!) i just pedal (not uphill). It has a 4 stroke 30ccm Honda engine, does 40km/h and i put a 3 speed 'Sturmer Archer' gearhub in that works as a gearbox, 'sweet as', cuts walking times by a third. The best big gold here is hours of 'tramping' away.I just take my detector apart and put it with the other gear into my backpack. Your folks are lucky, have a bloody good summer. AL.

Attachments

• august (6) MOD1 PUBLISH.jpg
    august (6) MOD1 PUBLISH.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 394
  • Inhz_1401 (57) MOD 1.jpg
    Inhz_1401 (57) MOD 1.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 390
  • Inhz_1401 (63) MOD 1.jpg
    Inhz_1401 (63) MOD 1.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 400
  • IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 053.jpg
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 053.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 383
Upvote 0

goldbrick

Jun 11, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
Re: "Go anywhere" transport

Hi Alex, Thanks for posting the pics of your bike and the beautiful pics of NZ. In the USA hardly anyone rides a bicycle for prospecting, most people use ATV's. That may change soon as our Forest Service is implementing illegal road plans in our National Forests that severely restrict where you may ride motorized vehicles at certain times of the year.
L8tr,
Merton

Kiwijohn

Dec 10, 2008
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Excalibur 1000 Garrett Pro Pointer

Hi Alex

I live on the other side of the 'Hill' from you. Nelson.
You are braver than me to ride that bike on the roads ;D
Good luck with the gold.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

You guys are so lucky to live in such Beautiful Country. That motorized Bike looks awesome. well built and solid. BTW welcome to treasure net, hope you'll take off your back pack and stay awhile . we need more Great thinkers and tinkers from beautiful places like NZ. :icon_thumleft:

Would a Chainsaw engine be the equivalent size of engine to mod a bike like yours ?

OP
OP
alexnz

alexnz

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
New Zealand

MD Dog said:
You guys are so lucky to live in such Beautiful Country. That motorized Bike looks awesome. well built and solid. BTW welcome to treasure net, hope you'll take off your back pack and stay awhile . we need more Great thinkers and tinkers from beautiful places like NZ. :icon_thumleft:

Would a Chainsaw engine be the equivalent size of engine to mod a bike like yours ?
Hi mate, about a chainsaw engine: yes they come in all sorts of ccm ratings and can be used but the difference is that they are 2 strokes and need to have the fuel premixed, are bit more noicy, smoke a bit, vibrate more and pollute the air heaps as they burn the oil with the petrol. have fun, AL.

OP
OP
alexnz

alexnz

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
New Zealand

goldbrick said:
Hi Alex, Thanks for posting the pics of your bike and the beautiful pics of NZ. In the USA hardly anyone rides a bicycle for prospecting, most people use ATV's. That may change soon as our Forest Service is implementing illegal road plans in our National Forests that severely restrict where you may ride motorized vehicles at certain times of the year.
L8tr,
Merton
Hi mate, yes an ATV would be handy but many tracks over here are really tight and a bicycle can be legally used even on some national park tracks (with the motor not running), plus access can often be gained by using commercial forestry roads, but they have locked gates, hence a motorized transport that can be lifted over gates (not even to talk about 'me being a motorcyclist from way back' and i enjoy riding on 2 wheels). have a nice summer.... AL.

OP
OP
alexnz

alexnz

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2009
New Zealand

Kiwijohn said:
Hi Alex

I live on the other side of the 'Hill' from you. Nelson.
You are braver than me to ride that bike on the roads ;D
Good luck with the gold.
Wow, small world....you've been at it for a while the way it looks like.... yes, biking on the road is bloody dangerous, done quite a bit of motorcycling in my days, one needs to ride as if one was invisible, anticipate 'all sorts', a good mirror to see the dangerous suckers coming, etc.... I just got into the gold buzz and i am still waiting for that first nugget to get me really hyped up....
done lots of tramping (trekking) and looking for 'greenstone' (jade, bowenite) etc. in the past, now i have another excuse to go on a mission....
just done a short trip into the hills (lots of small trips now to sort places out for bigger trips when springtime comes) to a place i had not been before (only 1 hour by road but then hours of rugget and steep country to traverse by foot (the harder to get to, the more gold should be left)), that use to have some of the biggest nuggets in the district (in NZ that means, realistically, up to 8 oz) and like so often the map and google earth deceived me and the hill turned out bigger than what i thought AND i got 'bluffed', ended up on a nice rock outcrop beside a mossy stream in the middle of nowhere for the night, a good fire kept me warm (and a good sleepingbag, matt and bivibag), prospected that stream the next day...., on the way home broke the rim on my bike (still usable), then lost one of my fuel bottles and had to push uphill for an hour, but the weather and scenery was good, so i didn't complain.
Just found a official prospecting map on the net that shows you in colour the potential for gold prospecting (low, medium, high) with reef locations, old alluvial gold occurrence etc. (even if the creeks with the biggest nuggets are not identified on it), and transferred it onto the topomap.... checking those places out alone should keep me busy for my remaining 20-30 years (if lucky).
AL.

"A problem well-defined is half-solved"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions