New Guy Here, couple questions about metal detectors?

lurediver

Jun 12, 2009
Hey guys, I've been here on the forums for a couple months and finally just signed up.
I live in Folsom, CA and have been doing the panning and sluicing methods for awhile. Sholving is getting old and now I want to move on and start detecting for nuggets. I have a few hidden areas that would be prime for detecting. I am wanting to get a detector that is good for nugget hunting and easy to use. Without robbing two banks is there a detector that is affordable and would work good up in the rocky Sierra terrain?

I am sure you guys here the same questions over and over again but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: ez 2 DO--THE CHEAPER DETECTORS OF TODAY ARE MUCH BETTER THAN THE EXPENSIVE ONES OF A FEW YEARS AGO. everything (oops) has to do with ground balanceing out highly mineralized grounds. Tesoro,whites,fisher make economical vlf units that do not break the bank-MXT-LOBO ST, Gold Bug 2 are just a few. Buy used and not abused under $400 and there are PLENTY listed all over the net NOW!!! Use the archives on this and many other forums to learn the differences...tons a au 2 u 2 -John :icon_sunny:

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently, Steve Herschbach wrote a good article what might be one of the lowest cost detectors that could be used for nugget hunting. Here is that link;

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=12820

Unfortunately, people have a tendency to forget the original statement Steve made and that is, to find the lowest cost new detector that might work for nugget hunting. Now, over the years I have used several Tesoro's for nugget hunting including some of their models normally sold as coin detectors and had success with most of them. The trick is to learn the benefits and limitations of each detector as well as the best technique to use to set up the detector. On the other side of the coin I have not used the Vaquero so I can't comment specifically on this particular model.

Now, given the lack of particular information, it is extremely difficult to recommend any particular detector. The reason is people are diffent and as such, their preferences in detectors are quite different. What I may like, you may not and visa versa. Then, there is the price a person wants or is willing to pay. Of course, the idea of new versus used is also something to be considered.

Finally, there are the subtle differences which give each detector a little advantage over others.

So, the ultimate decision has to be made by the potential owner. On the down side, anyone just getting started has no idea of what they want because, in most cases, they do not know the differences or even what is available.

In your case, it would help to know if you prefer buying new or would consider a used unit. Then there is the general price range which can alter or limit just what might be within the range you are willing to pay.

Next, it helps to know more about the general area you will hunt. In most cases, this requires you talk to a few active and, hopefully, experienced detector operators in the area to find out just what works and why. Also, you might ask around and see if there is an active local prospecting club. Many times you can obtain a wealth of information from some of their members.

As for a couple of simple reasons of why it helps to ask are; the level of mineralization and how difficult it is to deal with; the issue of hotrocks and how frequent they are as well as the type. Then there is the trash level one has to contend with; and also, one really needs to know the more typical size of gold one might expect to find.

Obviously, there are other questions, but even these few are more than enough to confuse a novice just getting started. It does help if you are familiar with using a detector for coin hunting, but even that can be a disadvantage because there generally is a distinct difference in methods that are applied.

I hope I haven't confused you too much.

Reg

OP
OP
L

lurediver

Jun 12, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys, I was leaning towards buying a used detector. I am just was overwhelmed with all the brands.

Is the White's Goldmaster GMT worth looking into?

Thanks

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
Whites is a very respected brand and though I do not own one the Goldmaster has a good reputation. Having said that let me put two cents in... learning your detector will get you the most for your money. A guy that has an average detector but knows it well will out perform the guy (or gal, sorry ladies) that has the best but neglects to learn it. Yes there are 'grades' and the higher the better but 'knowledge and experience' with your detector is the great equalizer... GL!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey i live in placerville and have a gm4 and have been using a gmt im thinkin of sellin my gm4 ive found a very small piece of gold with it, ;D i know how to use them in our area if you want to check them out before you buy one let me know, we can meet up and you can do a field test.

Jan 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
GMT
I recently purchased a Whites GMZ. retail @475$ I am in the nor cal area and am using it strictly for gold, (and trash of course!)
and really like it. GMZ is easy to use, there are only two controls, ground cancel and sensitivity, this is good for me cuz its my first detector!

First detector, First post, now as for that first nugget............

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You know, I've learned a few valuable things from this thread--thanks guys.

All the best,

Lanny

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
Hi guys, To newbies looking for a gold machine. Good info from Reg, Hoser John & Kevino 1960. Absolutly check out what Steve Herschbach has to say & also what Hoser John said about going over ALL past threads & archives.
The golden rule is that VLF gold machines, not all VLF's are the same;eg coin & relic models, but the higher frequency models like Gold bug 2 (62khz I think) & Whites GMT (48khz I think), are deadly on very small gold, sub grammers & smaller, as long as they are close to the surface & the coil. Ideal for bed rock detecting & very shallow ground. Every thing is a compromise. As you will read. The higher the frequency the more sensertive on tiny gold but you will sacrifice depth. On the other hand the lower the frequency the better the depth on larger pieces of gold. A good balance for depth & senertivity in a VLF machine is the frequency of around 19 khz. Like the old Gold Bug 1. I believe the Gold Bug 3 while not being produced to replace the Gold Bug 2, but is also at 19 khz, is to give a low price entry level for gold detecting. The PI's (minelab SD, GP, GPX series) While not to be knocked for small gold as well in the sub gram range, with better depth than a VLF, but probably not as tiny as a VLF will get on the surface. Some may argue on that comment & I have for one found gold on the very surface with my GP 3000 that wouldnt even register on my scales. But the PI's will go deep deep deep with a large range of coil sizes & configurations to suit many different depths, gold size & ground conditions. The simple answer it so get both. If money is an issue keep a look out on the Gold Bug 3 for a start or go 2nd hand GB 2 or Whites GMT. Some may recommend the Whites MXT or others. Which ever way you go be prepared for a big learning curve. It aint all that easy when you first start out.

Good luck &

Happy golding

Kiwi JW

Sierra Kid

Feb 7, 2009
Mojave Desert CA.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300, Falcon MD20
I love my Whites MXT. I have the 6x9 DD coil and it will find the small stuff. Its a good all around detector, not limited to just gold. There are three modes, Coin/Jewelry, Relic, and Prospecting. I have used it at the beach, the parks and the gold fields. Good Luck!

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
Yep Ha ha I knew that would happen :laughing7: What one needs to do is really really really know what sort of detecting they really really really want to do. Be it coins/relics or GOLD. It is very hard if not imposible to get a VLF machine that is excellent at both. Two that spring to mind is the MXT & minelabs Xterra 70. All be that gold will need to be very close to the surface & it can be very small but very limited on depth. To you newbies.....you see the VLF's have a very good discrimination on verrous (magnetic) objects. So great for knowing with a very high accuracy that the target is iron or steel. Thats good when detecting for coins which are usually made of non ferrous metals & all coins of a certain nomination are the same size, weight & composition of what ever metal they are made from. So detectors can be made to virtualy tell you what the coin is & even how deep it is with amazing accuracy before you even dig for it. So if it is junk you will know & you can walk away with out working up a sweat having to dig the target to find out. With relic's of course they are often made of steel or iron so I guess like gold you need to dig all targets.
Now the reason gold dedictaed detectors dont really have a very crash hot discrimination, & any true blue gold detectorist will dig all targets regardless because the discrimination cant really be trusted, is because in nature a piece gold is never the same purity as another piece of gold. They are all composed of differing amounts of impurities mixed in with the gold, like some will have a silver content of differing amounts, others will have differing amounts of copper, or copper & silver. See where Im coming from? Copper will read different on a detector & silver will read different again & so will gold even again. So when you throw that mix all together in the multitude of differing amounts that the great big natural gold pool down below has sent up to us in umpdean zillion different combinations of gold, copper, iron, silver, zinc, lead etc..... mix's you will now understand why a gold detector doesnt have a good accurate discrimination mode/function. Plus a discrimination mode takes away a bit of grunt in the battery & circuitry of the detector that is best channled into sensertivity & depth. Make sense? :dontknow: Hope that was of some help.

JW

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice response JW--most informative--well-stated, and very interesting. I too dig all targets when I'm chasing nuggets. In fact, I often wonder what I left behind in other areas because when I was a newbie, I wouldn't dig if I thought it was iron or steel. I abandoned that approach after I had some other nugget shooters email me with their tales of sure-fire iron sounds that turned out to be gold nuggets. And, since then, I've had two nice nuggets that sounded exactly like iron--but they most certainly were not iron or steel--they were beautiful, golden gold. I don't use discriminators in gold country--I always hunt in all-metal and dig everything now, no matter how tedious it sometimes is. And trust me, I've dug buckets and buckets of trash.

All the best,

Lanny

Sierra Kid

Feb 7, 2009
Mojave Desert CA.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300, Falcon MD20
Good info. As a newbie I can tell you I have passed over many a "grunt" thinking it was iron. I will definitely rethink this strategy.

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
Good Luck on the detector choice overload.

Here is an informative link.
http://www.akmining.com/forums/showthread.php/13-Latest-Nugget-Detector-Recommendations-for-Alaska

Talk to your locals and remember your detector dealer MAY push his personal favorite. It may or may not be the best for your situation. However he is still a valuable resource of info, tools and contacts.
I am glad I bought from a local dealer, and will continue to.

Lobo ST, Scorpian Gold Stinger, MXT or Xterra 705 May be good choices.

Takes mucho tiempo to learn your machine(s) well. 150 hrs and I think I have the basics and still have more to go. Different coils hit differently.

If you want to ask questions about the Xterra 705 PM me. Lots of nuances to any of these machines I think.

Jeff

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
I dont know about the Gold Scorpion any more. I really think Garrett are well over due for a make over of this detector. There are far better choices out there now & have been for a while. It is funny how people swear by the detector they have & when quizzed it is the only one they have ever had & ever used. Human nature I guess :dontknow: The people to ask & listen to are the likes of Steve Herschbach. They are dealing with detectors every day, All sorts of makes & models. They have tried them all. Some detectors will perform better than others in certain ground & vise versa. Do check Steve's site & comb through & look for all his posts. Let your fingers do the walking & you will find all the answers you ever wanted to know.

Happy golding

JW :thumbsup: :coffee2:

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
I definitely believe in my GMT. Hot rocks around here are a big nuisance, and occasionally you'll tend to ground balance gold out of the picture, but I keep a gold ring in my pocket for that very reason. If I get a suspicious signal, I'll go ahead and ground balance it (very simple... just a few up and down motions over the signal till it quits screaming at you) then toss the gold on the ground and swipe it. If it doesn't scream, then you know you've balanced gold out and it's time to reset and dig that hole.

I like the GMT also because it's just sexy. The designer of the software in it must have been a bit of a pervert, because when you get a low signal it starts to moan at you in a tone like a woman who's just starting to get sexually aroused. As the signal gets hotter, so does the woman's grunts and groans, until finally she reaches an orgasm and screams her lungs out in your ear. I spend so much time laughing at the sounds the GMT makes that it makes it hard to dig targets. I've had buddies laugh at me for laughing so hard about it and tell me they wouldn't be surprised to find me hiding behind a bush with my pants down doing mysterious deeds to my GMT. I'm sure that won't happen, but it sure is much more entertaining than the sterile beep tones of most detectors.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i use a whites dfx 300 with the 12 inch coil and set to relic and tuned up it has a 18 inch reach in depth pretty good depth range if you ask me i have not used it for gold hunting yet but i am having a friend of mine set the settings for depth to use for gold hunting this spring going north on the mighty missouri river and hunting gold in the smaller rivers and streams off of it

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
Nice one Bigwater :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: Thats a great way of putting it. I just didnt have the guts. I am still laughing :laughing7: :laughing7:

Happy golding

JW :thumbsup: :coffee2:

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigwater said:
I definitely believe in my GMT. Hot rocks around here are a big nuisance, and occasionally you'll tend to ground balance gold out of the picture, but I keep a gold ring in my pocket for that very reason. If I get a suspicious signal, I'll go ahead and ground balance it (very simple... just a few up and down motions over the signal till it quits screaming at you) then toss the gold on the ground and swipe it. If it doesn't scream, then you know you've balanced gold out and it's time to reset and dig that hole.

I like the GMT also because it's just sexy. The designer of the software in it must have been a bit of a pervert, because when you get a low signal it starts to moan at you in a tone like a woman who's just starting to get sexually aroused. As the signal gets hotter, so does the woman's grunts and groans, until finally she reaches an orgasm and screams her lungs out in your ear. I spend so much time laughing at the sounds the GMT makes that it makes it hard to dig targets. I've had buddies laugh at me for laughing so hard about it and tell me they wouldn't be surprised to find me hiding behind a bush with my pants down doing mysterious deeds to my GMT. I'm sure that won't happen, but it sure is much more entertaining than the sterile beep tones of most detectors.
what cha rekon them gmt's are going for???? :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: i was wanting the new gold bug,but if i get a gmt even if i don't find anything----------might still be worth the money!!!!!! :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :thumbsup:

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Retail around here they'll run you $795 new. Got mine brand new from an internet site out in California delivered to the door for $600, and the guy threw in a pretty nice set of headphones with it. No trench coat or sunglasses were included though :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread