Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
no! If you draw a line from NW corner Az to SE Az, the gold producing areas are south of that line.

OP
OP
goldhat

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Arizona and the great southwest!
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Fisher F-Pulse Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info AUDUKE..... would be nice to hear from others to see what their thinking is.

goldhat

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
lost mine of sycamore canyon south of williams. river of silver out north and east of canyon diablo. all those claims north of flagstaff was a hoax. eighteen gold mines around camp verde. also a manganese mine out old salt mine road. halite crystals at the salt mine at camp verde

icyman61

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you tell me the locations of place or where i can find maps of camp verde where i can search?

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goldhat,

Based on the link that Goodguy gave you and what AUDuke mentioned it would look much like this give or take,

arizona.png

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goldhat,

Based on the link that Goodguy gave you and what AUDuke mentioned it would look much like this give or take,

View attachment 745928
AZViper. Your map would probably be more correct if the dividing line went from its location nw to Flagstaff, then a little more ESE from Flag. The gray area is mostly up on the Mogollon Heights, also called the Colorado Plateau. A GREAT BIG sedimentary area, indicating an inland sea..... not condusive to gold occurrence. If you look for AZ mining districts, I don't think you will find any on the Colorado Plateau. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A short piece of the Wikipedia decription.... The Mogollon Rim's limestones and sandstones were formed from sediments deposited in the Carboniferous and Permian Periods. Several of the Rim's rock formations are also seen on the walls of the Grand Canyon. In many places, the Rim is capped or even buried by the extensive basaltic lava flows.
The uppermost sandstone stratum of the Mogollon Rim, called the Coconino Sandstone, forms spectacular white cliffs, sometimes several hundred feet high. This formation of the Permian Period is of aeolian (windblown) origin and is one of the thickest sand-dune-derived sandstones on earth. TTC

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The map says it all. Nearest good area to you would be in the Bradshaw Mountains. Lynx Creek near Prescott Valley is a good spot.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are two maps, both from Eldrid Wilson, that show gold occurrences in northern Arizona. The first is of placer districts. The second is of lode districts. As you can see, north and east of Flagstaff is DEVOID of districts. The credentials of Mr. Wilson are indisputable. Based on these publications, and others I have, I am convinced that the looking for gold on the Colorado Plateau (Indian Reservations notwithstanding) would be futile. TTC

placer.jpg lode.jpg
EDIT: Eldred Wilson
Eldred.jpg

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AZViper. Your map would probably be more correct if the dividing line went from its location nw to Flagstaff, then a little more ESE from Flag. The gray area is mostly up on the Mogollon Heights, also called the Colorado Plateau. A GREAT BIG sedimentary area, indicating an inland sea..... not condusive to gold occurrence. If you look for AZ mining districts, I don't think you will find any on the Colorado Plateau. TTC

Was only a quick drawing based on what AUDuke had mentioned. Should have done my homework...

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC is correct. I can tell you this for certain though...there are meteorites on the Colorado Plateau. An "out of this world" treasure that is equally (if not more) exciting to find as gold.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was only a quick drawing based on what AUDuke had mentioned. Should have done my homework...

No problemo, AZV. Gold has actually been found in and around sedimentary rocks (limestome lenses would be one). The problem with the Plateau is it is HUNDREDS of feet thick and much is lava covered. NOT a place where most miners would want to look! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread