Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:help: Clubs--be they gold/gem mineral/ or detecting. Newbie learning curve is murder. Clubs are full of great retired folks with claims, expertise, and time to address the issues that you need to know. Think local yokels with smaller being much better. Outings, cookouts and family values will enhance your life and make learning much more pleasant-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks hoser..

My cousin met an old geologist retired, who used to work for the province.

He just prospects now, and offered to take us out sometime... I'll be up for that indeed!

I may leave the detector at home for that one, and 'pick' his brain instead.... on the local area.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_sunny: A HA --Canada the new home of the free!! I never prospected in Canada although I used to have a couple a dealers up north. A lot of the good ol'boyz use detectors too. Never leave home without it!! tons a au 2 u 2 -John :thumbsup:

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
GioTheGreek said:
thanks hoser..

My cousin met an old geologist retired, who used to work for the province.

He just prospects now, and offered to take us out sometime... I'll be up for that indeed!

I may leave the detector at home for that one, and 'pick' his brain instead.... on the local area.

There are a few of us Canadians around lurking here. I wondered what part you were from and checked the map in your profile, but it seems your out at sea. Somewhere between Maine and Nova Scotia. Hope the weather is good for sailing. Arrrrr... (A Captain Highliner joke just came to mind.)

Regarding learning nuggetshooting. Think of it as a really painfully drawn out Mavis Beacon Typing Tudor course after you've had an accident and have your head and hands wrapped in bandages, with only a tiny slot in the head bandage to peek through and a single finger protruding from one bandaged hand. It's the peek and poke technique. Basically, trial and error, with lots of pain thrown in and sore aching muscles from having traversed towering teton like raggedy rocky ridges and more craggy cavernous crevices than you ever thought existed. Not to mention the insects, those blood thirsty malicious menacing marauding mosquito's and the wildlife, the wild and woolly wasted weekend woodland partyer known to come out at night and cause seemingly unending disturbances, only to be discovered under a rock, or log by a passing probing nuggetshooter.

Ok, time for me to get some more coffee into me, so I'm off for the evening.
Don't worry, I'm near the other end of the country.

F.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Functional, Ha, great post. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

By all means learn all you can from as many books and old dudes you can get out with. Experience is the best teacher and that learning is still part of the fun.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
:hello2: :hello:

Always pay attention to the news reports in late winter of avalanches and early springtime mudslides. :read2: These are the precursor of summertime discoveries, (and sometimes major injuries if your not careful). :help:

F.

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha awesome stuff guys.

Im still laughing at Functionals description....

Im in Saint John, NB Functional hehe.

I've been prospecting a bit this summer... and havent really gotten into sluicing and all of that.

Im trying to learn more about the minerals and rocks... basic geology stuff. I definitely know where there is exposed bedrock. We have a handy tool, a mineral occurence database at our provincial site.

It gives you all of the locations where gold occurences have been found.... and GPS coordinates. That's a start but... placer gold is one thing, finding that nugget is another.

Gold is here.... and I must find it :)

What are some quirky spots you find nuggets in your area? Aside from exposed bedrock.... or is that the best place to look, always?

I know I know, gold is where you find it :)

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_sunny: old hydro pits have multiple raceways that carried away the junk rock(and tons a gold too) that are ripe for detecting. Bedrock that leads to a well rounded rock included highbar are a virgin spot waitn' for your detector. The farther out in the boonies you go the better the gold gets. easy to retrieve and it's been tapped usually. DEEP water is my favorite as poundage abounds where bookoo testiculiar fortitude is required to retrieve the oro puro. Road construction, landslides, flooding washouts, fires and subsequent erosion and on and on and on-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great stuff Johnny!

Thx guys, Ill have to learn more about the hydro pits :)

Tons of au 2 u2 lol!

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
GioTheGreek said:
Haha awesome stuff guys.

Im still laughing at Functionals description....

Im in Saint John, NB Functional hehe.

I've been prospecting a bit this summer... and havent really gotten into sluicing and all of that.

I don't know what the laws are in NB, but here in BC, you can't sluice without a claim and permission to use one. About the only thing you can use outside of a claim involves recirculating systems that don't disturb the fishies.

Im trying to learn more about the minerals and rocks... basic geology stuff. I definitely know where there is exposed bedrock. We have a handy tool, a mineral occurence database at our provincial site.

It gives you all of the locations where gold occurences have been found.... and GPS coordinates. That's a start but... placer gold is one thing, finding that nugget is another.

Gold is here.... and I must find it :)

Rule # 1. If you find black sand, there may be gold.

Rule # 2. If there is no black sand, there is no gold. (If you don't believe this rule, or choose to ignore it, go back and review Rule # 1.)

What are some quirky spots you find nuggets in your area? Aside from exposed bedrock.... or is that the best place to look, always?

I know I know, gold is where you find it :)

Gold, like most things on the planet, share a common tendency to obey the laws of physics. But, be you a nature lover, a physicist, or prospector, sometimes people don't pay attention to the laws of nature and its little quirks. For instance. Being heavy, one would naturally expect gold to stay at the bottom of a river, but I've scrapped the moss off of the sides of boulders to rinse out the moss and pan out the concentrate, (nature did most of the work for me). High dry old creek beds and other mineral deposits at higher altitude thrust up by volcanic, glacial, or actions involving plate tectonics are other examples. Don't be afraid to look up. Or down, or side to side.....

Once you find some of that shiny yellow stuff, you might want to check out this webpage and others on the site:
http://prospecting.50webs.com/meltingsmelting1.html

And if you live near the the ocean, you might try some nugget shooting on the beach if you have a good MD. Salt water messes with detectors, but some more than others.

F.

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome stuff man...

I have panned out to black sand before, but still no gold yet. :)

Thanks for the tips, Ive got a prospecting course on disk that my cousin just took, and plenty of reading material :)

It's gonna be a long winter.... :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread