Newbee / SoCal Desert Nugget hunting

DaveyT

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2009
I'm going to be looking for nuggets in the Southern California desert. What is the best metal detectors for this type of treasure hunting? I'm new to metal detecting but want to get serious about it and I don't want to waste my money buying the wrong detector. From what I've seen so far, it looks as if a PI detector would best suit my needs.

Any help would be appreciated.

DaveyT
Riverside, CA

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DaveyT

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2009
X-Terra 70 & MXT

There seems to be a consensus forming between the forums I'm active in around two specific models for all around treasure hunting (coins, relics & nuggets). Both seem to be priced around $800

Could I get some input as to what you all think of these two models?

Minelab X-Terra 70
Whites MXT

Thank you,

DaveyT

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: Goldbug 2 or Tesoro Lobo supertraq are definately my choices,used'm both for many years and never disappointed-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :headbang:

Yellow Hammer

Nov 17, 2008
Anaheim Ca and Quartzsite Az
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200v2/GP4500
Hey Davey,

The PI detectors are the only way to go here in So Cal hands down. First of all lose the team treasure hunting you have up graded to nugget hunter. You will find most of us nugget hunters in So Cal and AZ
are using Minelab's. The SD2200v2 and the 4500 are the first choices of the guys who do this for a living. You will want to join the GPAA or the SPMA. The GPAA has some great claim's up on the cajon pass and off the 10 near red cloud mine (lots of nuggets). The SPMA has claim's near Blythe and the potholes near yuma (read the history of the potholes).

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Davey,

The PI detectors are the only way to go here in So Cal hands down. First of all lose the team treasure hunting you have up graded to nugget hunter. You will find most of us nugget hunters in So Cal and AZ
are using Minelab's. The SD2200v2 and the 4500 are the first choices of the guys who do this for a living. You will want to join the GPAA or the SPMA. The GPAA has some great claim's up on the cajon pass and off the 10 near red cloud mine (lots of nuggets). The SPMA has claim's near Blythe and the potholes near yuma (read the history of the potholes).
Hey hammer,
I'm looking through my gpaa claims guide and I dont see any claims in the Cajon pass area, other than the crystal group near silverwood. I've heard there's not much there other than really fine stuff. Is it worth detecting the crystal group claims? I've heard some people who have done real well in yucca valley say about 70% of the gold they found out there can be found with a vlf. Of course if I could afford a PI I'm sure I would be happy to test that out!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd definitely go with a PI (Minelab dedicated gold machines: SD2100 and up) if there's lots of nasty hotrocks and extreme mineralization. If it's an area that's not super severe, the Gold Bug 2 is a proven gold getter.

All the best,

Lanny

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have to go with a PI, take a look at the White's TDI series. For about $1800 you can get a new, top of the line TDI Pro. Much better than shelling out $3000-$4000 for a decent, used Minelab that isn't trashed.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have to go with a PI, take a look at the White's TDI series. For about $1800 you can get a new, top of the line TDI Pro. Much better than shelling out $3000-$4000 for a decent, used Minelab that isn't trashed.

(DaveyT--hope you don't mind if I jump in here for a bit to ask nuggetshooter a question.)

Do you have a TDI Pro? I've never used one, but I'd like a little input on them, if you've got some time.

Now, back to you DaveyT--you can buy a good used SD-2100 or 2200 Minelab, and they are excellent nugget finding PI's; moreover, they won't cost you an arm and a leg either--the cost will be less than a new TDI Pro--but I can't vouch for the TDI Pro as a nugget finder.

(Back to the rest of you.) If someone wants to post some things about the TDI Pro, I'm all ears. For starters, I'd like to know what the features are compared to the 2100/2200 (I have the 5000, but it's much, much more expensive--a serious investment). However, I'm always interested in what the competition is up to.

All the best,

Lanny

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey hammer,
I'm looking through my gpaa claims guide and I dont see any claims in the Cajon pass area, other than the crystal group near silverwood. I've heard there's not much there other than really fine stuff. Is it worth detecting the crystal group claims? I've heard some people who have done real well in yucca valley say about 70% of the gold they found out there can be found with a vlf. Of course if I could afford a PI I'm sure I would be happy to test that out!

Atom,
I don't have my guide in front of me, but there are 2 GPAA claims, one in Lytle creek and the other off the 138.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, but I MUST disagree on the TDI. Very few serious nuggetshooters use this machine. I swung one for about 200-hours, and I was underwhelmed. I know two people that found nuggets with one. Both were 3-grams or better and less than 5" deep. In other words, A GMT, Goldbug II, or Lobo Super Traq will outperform the TDI. If you are going to hunt gold with a PI machine, do not waste your time with a TDI. Get a used Minelab, or just hunt VLF with one of the machines mentioned. Gold prospecting is expensive and hard. Shortcuts and going cheap leads to pain and ruin in the goldfields

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't have a TDI, but I had been planning picking one up this year. After reading your post Terry I'm going to have to investigate a little further.

minerjoe

Nov 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
ZED,2300,4500,t2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
cheaper is as cheaper does..... my money is with gpx and t2, now i have a GB2, but cant even use it where i live, but in the desert its good.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry,

Thanks for the 411 on the TDI. It's always nice to hear from someone that's been out hunting with a machine and that's willing to share what he's found.

Much appreciated--I value your opinion greatly.

The Minelab PI's have never let me down. In fact, they've always performed in a fantastic manner. I've used and tried a variety of VLF's, and maybe I just like how a PI handles the ground, but they sure simplify detecting for me.

One day I'll have to get serious and try a GB II for a longer period of time. The dang things are so light it might be a real pleasant switch just to try things on the lighter side for a while. I have some detecting buddies that have found pounds of gold (yes, pounds) with those GB II's, and they swear by them.

Well, all the best,

Lanny

tigergold

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to Reno/Tahoe area have u done any looking in those areas i have a v3i and need some help with settings we have mostly sand in Texas

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Davey: I know you have many people with all kinds of advice from kindness and help. I find personally it is a good idea to check out & Google the many metal detectors on youtube. You may it to yourself to see the actual field tests done with the many MD's there. I had checked out the Whites videos by Gold nugget hunter Mr. Jimmy Serrera who shows how to ground balance the Whites Goldmaster GMT E-Series. I saw how you can get a "Hot Rock' & Ground balance it out then a gold nugget "Picker" on the hot rock and the GMT picks up the small nugget on top of the hot rock which was made "invisible"! I then bought a used GMT on ebay for $500 including "free shipping"! It pays to do the research. I do not plan of spending Thousands of dollars in a expensive PI machine from Austraila. Australia had very harsh minerals in their soil and Whites does a lot of shipping of its Md's to Australia because just that! I am not going to say one is better than another but I like getting the best value for a quality machine with ease of use with the programing pre-sets already set as a foundation to start with. This helps me save time so I can spend time sooner to "Nugget Shoot" which I am into. I know you can be more prepaired to make your best choice on a great MD with out breaking the bank... Good luck friend. Golden T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread