Steve have you had a chance to put the new GMZ through some testing?

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

Well, I did a little head to head finding a few small nuggets. I'd find them with the GMT, then check with the GMZ. This was stuff a few grains to less than a grain. In most cases, either due to the small size or the depth or both, the GMZ would not detect nuggets the GMT would.

But that is exactly what I'd expect. You are comparing a unit selling for under $500 to a unit selling over $700. If you want the best spend the bucks.

I think testing is more valid when limited to a price range. If you look at car comparisons, they compare at a certain price range. Comparing $20,000 cars with $30,000 cars usually just proves when you spend more you get more.

So really it is more a question on how does the GMZ compare to other nugget detectors with an MSRP under $500? The MSRP on the GMZ is $479.95. Since there are not any others, the GMZ wins hands down. The closest you can get is the Tesoro Vaquero for MSRP of $525. That would be a fun head-to-head comparison. Given that the Vaquero is lighter, offers more coils, and has full range discrimination and a theshold based all metal mode, the case can be made that the Vaquero offers the better value, as both can probably be had for about the same price after discounting. But as to how they would fare in a head-to-head comparison I can only guess at this time. I've used both, but not at the same time. My guess is they'd be pretty close.

Steve Herschbach

OP
OP
golddredgergold

golddredgergold

Dec 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX, Gold Master 2, Surfmaster PI, TF900, Falcon MD20, Arc Geo Logger
Thanks for the info Steve!

This is exactly what I was looking to know.

Have fun out there!

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Steve; After using it how would ya guess it would work at the beach?

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

On a salt water beach it would depend if the ground balance control could null out the signal from wet saltwater sand. There is no discrimination control or salt setting on the GMZ. I do not know if it can or not. If not, you'll be detecting the sand.

Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

You are right. I knew that but forgot. Getting old I guess!

"The Salt position provides the ability to search in desert regions with the heavy concentrations of conductive salt or alkali in the ground."

Should help on the beach. But it would do so by knocking the small gold sensitivity down enough to not pick up the salt sand, in which case it would be nothing special.

Wet salt sand and small gold (earrings, thin chains) read the same. Tune one out, you lose the other. Just the way it is.

Steve Herschbach

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread