Abandoned Mines In Colorado

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Probably at the Mining claims office or where ever they file the mine claim plats at, Also I would buy a Radon Detector as well, some of those mines have very dangerous levels of Radon in them.

chucktx8

May 10, 2005
MOON, we camped at Clear Creek years back & explored the mountains, which had mines & old log cabins all over. You had to walk to most of them. Don't know if you can still get back in there now. You can pan in the ARK. River, gold in every pan. Go to Granite & drive up the road behind the store & those MT. are covered with mines & old cabins.
Hope this helps, Take Care & Have Fun.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think anything is truly abandoned up here; it all belongs to somebody. Lots of this area is national forest and they've started putting up signs warning about removing archeological and historical relics. Check with the national forest folks. When I'm out, I'm always prospecting, which I believe is legal, unless I'm on someone's claim. I've never been confronted by a Ranger. Better yet, call up Gold n Detectors (sp?) in Golden, CO. They're pretty good old boys and would probably answer your questions. And I don't work for them or nothin, but I guess I'm givin them a free plug. I done business with them and they treated me alright.

OP
OP
MoonWalkThePlank

MoonWalkThePlank

Oct 10, 2009
Rogers, Arkansas
Hey thanks for the responses guys.. Im definitely going to add clear creek to my list. I would like to just have a map with a bunch of places such as ghost towns and mining camps marked on it and just spend the entire spring using a GPS to search from place to place.

If you are out prospecting and that is legal who can scold you if you happen to unearth an artifact???

chucktx8

May 10, 2005
I read a article about the BLM arrested this guy for removing stuff from along the Oregon trail, I later met him at Rye Patch, & he told me this Ranger was talking to him asked him if he found any thing, & he puled out some modern bullets, wire, & purple glass, normal junk that we usual find, They gave him a ticket & he had to appear in court, He beat it but it still cost him over $2500 for lawyer. chuck

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I anybody asks me if I found anything, my standard answer is always," Not a thing, but you never know."

Cheezie

Greenie
Aug 14, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much National Forest land so little time, my brother and I are planning an April trip to CO, can't wait. I'll be looking for you claim jumpers and I'll have my water gun ready. No really, I'll drink a beer with ya'll, just hope it's not too crowded out there. Happy Goldin'

Chuck

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
much of the sangre de cristo range has been withdrawn from claims (yes i mean national forest not wilderness area) south of poncho springs. just run the geocommunicator where you see all kinds of closed claims but no current ones those will be the areas you would be interested in. for 15.00 you can get a rock hunting permit for up to a ton of rock for two weeks from the saguatch blm. i found this out when iwent to file a claim. this way you don't have to worry about being on someones claim the goverment already stole it for you. happy hunting. it is a good area.

Wild Boulder Bill

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few years back I visited a gold mine in Colorado that was old but being re-worked.
The entry to the mine was a tiny shack built up against the mountain.

The folks there pointed out a scattered bunch of holes in the mountainside with tailings that were mines worked in the 1800's.
Interesting stuff. Like was said though, it all belongs to somebody.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
There are over old 6,000 gold mines in Colorado shown at:

Search the Mineral Resources Data System

Get the google earth file & it will show locations & link to reports. Some locations are spot on while others can be off. Usually they are close to the exact location but I have found some a mile away.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a list of archeological/historical sites so you know where to stay away from. You will hear from some agencies that they refuse to tell you so you don't go out and dig'm up. BUT they are more than happy to ticket you when you do by accident. Stock answer-I don't know nuttn',I ain't seen nuttn,I ain't found nuttn' and leave it at that as they can/will take all your equipment and vehicles also that brought you to commit this crime sic sic sic. Fines,community service,even jail/prison for repeaters as evidenced on tv(wild justice) and personal experiences with associates who knew better-John

Gold Rover

Feb 19, 2014
Western Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hwy. 550 between Durango and Ouray is a great place to visit if you are interested in old mines. It'll keep you busy for days. After that, you might think of a trip up La Plata Canyon out side of Durango. Great mining history in both places.

Dec 27, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anything not claimed on national land belongs to all american people

I don't think anything is truly abandoned up here; it all belongs to somebody. Lots of this area is national forest and they've started putting up signs warning about removing archeological and historical relics. Check with the national forest folks. When I'm out, I'm always prospecting, which I believe is legal, unless I'm on someone's claim. I've never been confronted by a Ranger. Better yet, call up Gold n Detectors (sp?) in Golden, CO. They're pretty good old boys and would probably answer your questions. And I don't work for them or nothin, but I guess I'm givin them a free plug. I done business with them and they treated me alright.

It all belongs to all of us until a location is claimed. if its national land and not closed it can be claimed by anyone and until it is it is the right of american people to go there and explore. if you lay claim to any open old mine everything at the sight is yours to do what you wish..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread