Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aug 2005
    Nevada
    XLT, GM3, GM4b
    7 times

test nuggets

I dont have any test nuggets, is it easy to melt fine gold down into a nugget say with a mapp gas torch?
    Or can it be used as is in a small vial on string?

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    1878 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: test nuggets

Detectors read the tiny pieces as one-go for a good 1/2-1 gram nugget-trade fines for a small nugget and glue to a red poker chip for ease of retrieval-tons a au 2 u2 -John

May 2005

I have used this one for years, [img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test Nugget.jpg 
Views:	872 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	344164  

us
    Jul 2009
    IL South of 80
    Fisher CZ5

Go to eBay and you can buy any size test nugget you desire. Then apoxie it to a clay or plastic poker chip.

us
    Apr 2008
    Quartzsite AZ
    TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
    2 times

gold melts at approx 1950 degrees F. I doubt if Mapp gas will do it. A US nickle is about the same conductivity as gold, just cut a small piece off of a nickle. Just as good and a lot cheaper.

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    1878 times

close to counts in horseshoes and handgrenades only--look at a notch machines notch capabilities and the proof is self evident-rings(mixed gold)semi work too BUT pure american gold is usually much purer than fabricated gold. There are places in Georgia and Kalif that their respective states geo dept has analyized at some up to 99%--mother natures real oro puro--tons a au 2 u2 -John

us
    Apr 2008
    Quartzsite AZ
    2 times

No two nuggets are exactly the same in their conductivity. Gold from one area is different from gold in another and a nickle falls in the same range. I defy anyone to tell the difference between a piece of a nickle and a piece of gold of the same size. and shape with a detector, I have been detecting since the 1960's and nugget hunting since 1982, and I can't do it. I have found gold nuggets from 60 percent to around 93 percent in this country, never 99. Generally, the finer the gold the purer it is.

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    1878 times

Every states geo dept has the reports and analysis of compositions-READ AND EDUCATE--John

us
    Apr 2008
    Quartzsite AZ
    2 times

Results speak for themselves

Oct 2005
    Clatskanie, Oregon

I use Clear Fingernail Polish to attach my nuggets to plastic Poker Chips. I like the White Chips best.

us
    Jun 2009
    republic of trinity usa
    gpx4500,gmt
    5 times

ahh, why bother. open yer tackle box,grab some small split shot,rip some in half.hammer half each size flat.if only large weights,put on wood block,chop to size.plan b go to tackle shop.cheaper than gold sounds the same.lead and gold conductivity nearly the same.run a minelab 4500 regurlarly and gave a friend my test nug other day 1gram. guess what im usin? (wheres dat takle box?)

us
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits."~Albert Einstein

Jan 2007
    Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
    227 times

Why not just go to a local jeweler who does repair work, and buy a snippet of 18 or 24 ct gold.

Or, buy your sweetie an 18 or 24 ct. yellow gold necklace and have the jeweler remove one or two links for your test target. Simple. You get loads of "sugar" and your test samples. Remember Christmas is only 3 weeks away.
    "Dobie created the HUNGER............Von Mueller said, EAT". comment by HELM Associates on the dedication page of their book, Treaasure Lead Generation.

us
    Dec 2009
    San Antonio, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by robbor
    I dont have any test nuggets, is it easy to melt fine gold down into a nugget say with a mapp gas torch?
    Or can it be used as is in a small vial on string?
    There are alot of paydirt dealers on the web. They usually salt the bags with a few small nuggets.

Not overly expensive and you can get some panning practice also.

google 'buy gold paydirt' and you will find them

Frank

Reg

Aug 2007
    Pueblo, CO
    White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
    98 times

Hi Robbor,

Auduke is correct, no two nuggets are the same. What makes nugget hunting even more complicated are the conductivity extremes that can occur. These extremes will not have nearly the effect on a VLF but will certainly make a big difference on a PI.

As an example, I have a 1 grain nugget I can detect easily with my PI but I also have an 8 grain nugget that is extremely difficult to detect with most PI's. A good VLF designed for nugget hunting will detect them both.

A lot of people are not that familiar with the fact that gold or the detection of gold can vary to such extremes. The character of the gold can influence how a nugget is detected as can the purity. A coarse rough nugget may be much harder to detect than a nice solid one. Crystalline gold could be even worse.

Silver is a great conductor but mix it with gold and a gold nugget becomes quite different in how it reacts on a detector because of the change in the conductivity. The change can be so dramatic it isn't funny, especially when using a PI.

Here is a link to a chart that displays the conductivity of gold as it is alloyed with other metals. Now, the chart may not mean much without knowing the conductivity of other metals, but as an example, add a little silver to gold and the gold goes from a high conductor (pure gold) to a low conductor that is quite similar to lead in how it is detected.

On a PI such as the Whites TDI, the tone of a target can change with the conductivity of the metal, meaning low conductive targets can generally be distinguished from high conductivity ones. This works great for separating silver and copper coins from other objects, but not so great when nugget hunting. As an example, a 1/4 oz or larger near pure gold nugget may cause a nice low tone, but a less pure 1/2 oz nugget from another location may cause a high tone. When using the TDI, it helps to know more about the gold and how it will respond in the area you are hunting.

Again, this conductivity thing isn't as critical when using a VLF but the conductivity aspect still makes a difference. This difference may become a little more noticeable between detectors also, because of the frequency difference of the detectors.

So, what is this long winded post trying to say? Well, one can use a small nugget for a test piece but they can use a piece of lead about the same size also and still be in the ballpark as for having a test target that mimics gold. It all depends upon the gold characteristics. So, Auduke's suggestion of using a piece of a nickel works as well as anything for those who don't have any small gold to make a test target.

Reg

ca
    Jan 2008
    Canada
    F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, Spectrum XLT, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
    427 times
    Prospecting
    Banner Finds (1)

Reg,

I don't see the link referring to a gold alloy conductivity chart. Appreciate it if you have it handy. Thanks,

Jim.
    Time, oh good sweet time...where did you go?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors