Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Dec 2009
    San Antonio, Texas

Best spot on earth for nugget hunting?

What say you and why?

Please take all factors into account as I may end up moving there one day :-)

Frank

us
    Aug 2006
    chowchilla, ca
    Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2
    1 times

Re: Best spot on earth for nugget hunting?

Down Under
    BIG NUGGIES

us
    Nov 2009

Do you think the Aussies who are serious nugget shooters can make a living at it?

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal 6er
    Down Under
    BIG NUGGIES

us
    Jan 2008
    Villa Rica georgia
    gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
    54 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

the ones who do won't talk about it !
    no matter where you go,there you are!

us
    Aug 2006
    chowchilla, ca
    Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2
    1 times

The only difference from a real job and making a living nugget hunting your on your own time
    How much you make is on how hard you work...

Joe

us
    Nov 2008

Australian forums have some real nice nuggets. Don't think there is that much open ground like here in the states like BLM. I've read about those aussies getting permission and what not from people and mining companies. There is probably some open areas available, wish I could go there. Saw awhile back about 3000 oz cleanup on an alaskan forum too. But that was heavy equipment.

au
    Enjoy Lfe. There is not much left as we know it.

Oct 2009
    Queensland
    Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
    1 times

Undoubtably Western Australia, then Victoria, then North Queensland. Yes there are many Aussies who make a living from it. Jonathon Porter is one. Check out Aurumaustralis. He has been doing it for years and has been lucky enough to find many huge nuggets, but he works darn hard for it and spends months at a time away from home.

The Cat

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    198 times

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    2063 times

Not 1 in a million are able to feed themselves detecting. As a retirement thing,weekend warrior or hobby it is righteous. You absolutely must be a 100% outdoorsmen with cash and equipment to pull you through. It helps greatly to live in/by/close to the goldfields so you don't have to live like a animal for months at end. My camps have showers, hot food, cold drinks,swamp cooler and plenty of screen rooms to get away from the bugs,bees and critters. I can go a week at a time with not so much as a single person wandering into the forest and it's RIGHTEOUSLY calm, quiet and keeps ya tough as nails doing everything the hard way. Over 50+ years a mining have seen rules, regs and environutz BS that has closed many of the great areas, regulated us to death and now camping,atv, and all forms of guns are under attack too. In dayz of old mining was simple and easy but now complicated to the point of distraction-tons a au 2 u 2-John------have golden dreams in the night whilst ya wait for the job to open tommorrow

us
    Dec 2009
    San Antonio, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Hoser John
    Not 1 in a million are able to feed themselves detecting....
    I wonder if that is an indication that Gold prices are too low or if there just isn't much left

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    2063 times

In almost 50 years of detecting it has been almost everywhere from $45-$1,200+ and as in any biz it breaks down to the ol' ECONOMIC VIABILITY. Ifn' it don't pay how can you play?? Insane costs and rules are a huge detrament now to any form of mining anywhere. Public lands are being closed(gates going up everywhere)access denied(no more atvs)and regs and rules(camping restrictions/closures/theft/vandalism) are doubling just about every year. Private property is king-as always-and keep it small ,lean and quiet for success-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

us
    Dec 2009
    San Antonio, Texas

as far as Australia..does anyone know of any nugget hunting vacation packages there?

Thanks!
    Frank

us
    Nov 2009

A quick googling turned up these:

http://www.prospectingvacations.com/australiagold.html

http://www.squidoo.com/goldnuggets#module12505569

http://www.gold-net.com.au/advertisements2.html
    (this last one has an old ad for 2004, but you might check the site further for more leads)

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by inthedark
    as far as Australia..does anyone know of any nugget hunting vacation packages there?

Thanks!
    Frank

au
    Sep 2004
    Eaglehawk
    GPX
    337 times
    Banner Finds (4)

hi, the best place for finding large nuggets and yeilds of gold in the world at the present time is Sudan in Africa.A lot of the best p1 mds for gold are being shipped straight there. I live right in middle of one of the largest gold feilds in Australia and my family goes back 5 generations. Simple the cost of such a trip to Australia will make a huge hole in your pocket. With the right md travel and expences your looking for no change out of $15,000. thats before you have found anything.Gold can be found in all australian states. Sorry too be truthful the cost is the key factor and the other is you need to stay a while.

tinpan

au
    Mar 2009
    adelaide
    GPX4000,SD2200

I might be a bit biased but i would say western Australia.
    There is a few that seem to be making a living out of it but i think they might have
    their ups and downs as well.

Can only talk of my own experiences but i find research,research and more research
    normally points you in the right direction.
    Tinpan is spot on about the cost,your not guaranteed a return for what you put in,
    either time or money.

And yes the available area has dim minished of late,but there is resources you can
    use the 20a which allows you to prospect on exploration leases is one that comes to mind.

But when your bent over digging a signal the sun scorching the back of your neck and your throats
    getting dry and you reach into the hole and it takes four fingers to grab the nugget and pull it out.
    YOU BLOODY RIPPER
    That's why i like western Australia.
    Cheers Chappy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors