Still have my old whites 4900

KipInOhio

Greenie
Dec 26, 2009
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Master PI, Fisher Goldbug 2, Fisher 1270, Keene 2-inch dredge, underwater ROV 75ft depth.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, I'm a new member to TreasureNet but have been detecting for almost 35 years.

I have had my old Whites 4900 since it was new. In its day it was sold as a prospecting detector, multi-turn ground balance and TR-DISC modes. Over the years I have found allot of coins and rings with it. Many of the rings (gold) were found on Hilton Head beach right up to the surf line. I never had a chance to try it in hot soil since we don't have any in Ohio.

I have read that the lower the freq the greater the depth in a detector. I have searched on-line but could not find any specs as far as the 4900 operating freqs. so I don't know how it compares to the newer machines.

Does anyone remember this old detector?

Were there ever specs published on this detector?

Thanks Kip.

Upvote 0

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Is it blue or black. If it is one of the black ones it will go deep and work well in minerlized soil and someone really knows how to use it, and I mean really knows that machine, they will be able to do just about as well and sometimes better than the guys with the newer machines.

OP
OP
KipInOhio

KipInOhio

Greenie
Dec 26, 2009
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Master PI, Fisher Goldbug 2, Fisher 1270, Keene 2-inch dredge, underwater ROV 75ft depth.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is the Blue box.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reverse disc is the units strong point and as all TR units it is good on ore analysis too.TR are lousy on hot ground and salt beaches but anything beats nothing too-tons a au 2 u 2-John

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
If it is the blue one and has GEB ( ground balance) it is a decent machine and you can still find stuff with it. I don't think it will have the depth of the black ones though.

OP
OP
KipInOhio

KipInOhio

Greenie
Dec 26, 2009
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! From what I have heard so far, the whites 4900/d ( blue box with geb, sat, disc, tr ) still might hold its own out in the field.

And maybe I will find a used Blue Max coil to put on it one of these days.

What had me thinking about it was the way the new detectors are rated by frequency, I was hoping to find some reference or way to determine what frequency the 4900/d operates at?

Is there a way to measure the frequency of a detector?

OP
OP
KipInOhio

KipInOhio

Greenie
Dec 26, 2009
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6.5 no kidding!

I always felt confident this was an excellent do everything detector less the meters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread