thoughts on new gold bug

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok-here it goes ---I am seriously considering buying the new gold bug.I don't want the cabelas version ,as steve stated wait till dealers got there's as it might have software upgrades.(he seems to know what he is talking about,and is very well respected)the new one should be closer to the gb1 as far as operating frequency 19-and should have better depth.the gb2 has a lot higher frequency (better on small gold )but lacks the depth that the 1 had,plus the 2 had a harder time in highly mineralized soil.the new one should be the best of both worlds with better ground balance (ground grab-is the new term).And for the price $499 I believe this would be a big bag for the buck.As this is about the max on my budget.Hopefully they should be out to dealers this month.What do you think?Would this be a safe bet?Or should I consider another ?This will be mainly a nuggett shooter but would be nice for coin ,silver ,jewelry as well.Please bear in mind I am in the N.W. Ga. area (highly mineralized)and most nuggetts would be probably smaller .I plan on using to check bedrock ,river bank,tailing piles,and hard rock.Side note ----------------I can't smell it as good as takoda :laughing7: so I have to cheat just a little :wink: but really want some in hard rock for a specimen or 2.This would help in finding the good cracks in bedrock,and maybe give me an edge.Please feel free to add any thoughts or suggestions as I will weigh them heavily.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
strickman

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is the source of your info?

Greg-in-MI

Apr 5, 2008
teknetics g2 to be avaiable this month also

another version of this detector is coming out this month also the teknetics g2 has the larger coil

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Spend a few dollars more and get a MXT. It operates at about 14kHz and I have found 1/2 GRAIN pickers at 3 inches in mineralized soil in NV. The circuitry for this incredible machine was based on the original GMT. This VLF machine is undervalued by some that, I believe, have another agenda. For gold prospecting in mineralized ground with a VLF, you need adjustable SAT. This allows your detector to recover quickly from hot rocks and bad ground quickly and, with the HyperSAT (super fast recovery) feature of the MXT, there is not much ground that you cannot use the MXT over and be successful. It will find very small pickers deeper than a 50 kHz unit and the added feature is, it is also great finding coins with a Coin Mode with VDI #s and relics in the Relic Mode with VDI #s also. I also have a TDI but for a VLF, it will find smaller pickers than a pulse unit of any make including a ML4500 that a professional prospector was using near me last summer near Rabbithole in NV. This fellow did nothing but prospect for the last 30 years for a living and was successful. He treated prospecting as a regular job and worked at it 8 hours a day, with a half hour off for lunch, every day. He was more proficient than most with his ML4500.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
If only Whites could learn to miniaturize their detectors. With a MXT you still have to buy a eliptical coil to make a good nugget hunter, and the detector is heavy compared to most other nugget detectors. jmo

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
your right duke,mxt has a bulky feel to it.bigger than gmt,no surprise.a year ago,bought the bigger than stock(14 inch elliptical) sierra goldmax coil,put my gmt outta balance.had bought a swingy thingy just for the heavy bungee cord.for my gpx machine.tried the swingy on the gmt,was the cats meow.best detector accessory made.detectoraid.com my gal has a mxt,she has to watch it like a hawk. :icon_pirat:

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
AUDuke said:
If only Whites could learn to miniaturize their detectors. With a MXT you still have to buy a eliptical coil to make a good nugget hunter, and the detector is heavy compared to most other nugget detectors. jmo

You could always use a coat hanger divining rod. It is a lot lighter. :laughing7:

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MXT...5.3 coil. Relic mode.,.disc=0, gain= as much as I can get, ground trigger down, slight threshold. go slow and dig all targets. 6x10 double d coil is fantastic for all around nugget hunting.

Attachments

• freds finds 034.jpg
    freds finds 034.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 362

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
arizonaames said:
AUDuke said:

You could always use a coat hanger divining rod. It is a lot lighter. :laughing7:
So is a F75 and its better than either. : :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread