110 KB · Views: 7,948
Upvote 0

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
Re: WELCOME STRANGER "NUGGET"

A nugget that size should weigh about a ton! That would make you superman to be even able to lift it. ??? ;D

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The REAL Welcome Stranger mass was found in australia by one of my Oates relatives many years ago.I have the whole story in my library somewhere,as to weight,date and story associated with it.Would you believe back then they MELTED them monsters down instead of preservation!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI, I HAD A GOOD LAUGH WHEN I SAW YOUR PHOTO AND WOULD MAKE APRIL FOOLS JOKE AND THE IDEA THE WELCOME STRANGER BEING FOUND UNDER THE ROAD IS NOT CORRECT .THIS IDEA CAME FROM THE FACT THE WAGON AXLE BROKE UNDER THE WEIGHT OF THE GOLD ,WHEN TRANSPORTED TO TOWN.

TINPAN HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If I recall correctly, the "Welcome Strainger" nugget weighed 168 pounds.
That guy is holding it as though it only weighed 10 pounds. :P

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

author=bk ]
If I recall correctly, the "Welcome Strainger" nugget weighed 168 pounds.
That guy is holding it as though it only weighed 10 pounds. :P
~~~~`
A) Replica, prob plaster of Paris painted Gold. heheheh

Tillk Eulenspeigle

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original weighed 210 pounds.

It was discovered in 1869 by John Deason and Richard Oates. Deason and his partner Oates were working at an Australian goldfield and hadn’t been having much luck. Their creditors were becoming insistent, and the ground was stingy in giving up its gold. But all that changed the day Deason broke his pick on a rock hidden at the base of a stringybark tree.

http://members.westnet.com.au/likelyprospects/welcome_stranger_nugget.html

GG~

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I knew Hoser had gold on his blood!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx much GG as that story even has more info than my records. I was gonna post them but those much more current-thanx much-John

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That must have been quite the sight when that big monster nugget was first pulled from the ground. Over 9500 pounds that the bank paid them for the gold was quite a sum for then.....actually quite a sum for today too. Thanks GG for the link and the story. :hello:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx much GG as that story even has more info than my records. I was gonna post them but those much more current-thanx much-John

The direct family Tree

Grandfather James Oates 1752-1809
Grandmother Jane Tonkin 1763- ?

Father Richard Oates 1799-18?
Mother Elizabeth Burnett 1796- 18?

All are buried in the church yard in Pendeen Cornwall [ St John the Baptist] [ Anglician]

1841 Census Cornwall_ Parish _St Just Village _ Bojewyan

Father Richard Oates [ tin miner]
Mother Elizabeth Oates
Children One Richard Oates 13 years old.

1851 Census Cornwall Richard Oates still living with his parents Trade - Shoe maker 23 years old No other children to parents ?

left the UK in 1854 to go to the gold rush of Victoria

The Colony of Victoria Electoral Roll 1856 Forest Creek[ Castlemaine] Division Fryerstown Miners Right used Richard Oates
Worked a Gold Claim in Derwent Gully St Just Point Bendigo
1858 present at the burial first wife of John Deason- Margaret nee Davey Buried with their first 3 children - Back Creek Cemetery [Bendigo]

Worked a claim at Golden Gully Golden Square Bendigo 1861 Left Bendigo with John Deason and his second wife Katherine for Moliagul in 1862

5th Feb 1869 while Richard Oates ploughed the near by Bulldog Paddock to grow food , John Deason found the Welcome Stranger. Found in the Bulldog Gully on the Black Lead .

After finding the nugget Richard Oates returned to Cornwall UK and married Jane Blewett Prenrose daugher of a local farmer near where he grew up

Returned to Victoria and purchased a farm at Woodstock-on -Loddon [Marong] *800 acres"

Richard and Jane had four children

Richard 1874- 1955 buried Bendigo Cemetery
Sarah Elizabeth 1875 -?Buried next to her husband at Dunolly
James Penrose 1879-?
Annie Jane 1880-? Buried Next to her father Marong Cemetery

Richard Oates died 29 Oct 1906 It is still unknown if he died on the farm or in the township of Marong He lay in a forgotten unmarked grave for 92 years until his great grand daughter and her son paid for a proper grave stone. Joan Burridge nee Oates

I,m curous to know where your family tree is connected?

tinpan Sessile Oak Leaf Buckle[ circa 1860] Sessile Oak or "Cornish Oak" [Overcus Petraea]
National Tree of Cornwall . Found in the area between Derwent and SparrowHawk Gullies Home to 4000 cornish goldminers and the main town is Called St Just Point after St Just in Cornwall UK.

Attachments

• 100_2768.jpg
    100_2768.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:skullflag:Thanx much Tinpan--when I finally get home and search to find info I'll post to add to your great info. In the US-california specifically-we dredgers have been forced from our homes by dredge ban so in another place doing my thang,sure miss home, but NOT as much as open and notarious mining for gold. THANKS again much appreciated-John :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread