Looking for Metal detecting sites in Raleigh, NC area

Does anyone know any places around Raleigh I can go metal detecting. I just bought my first metal detector and I'm really itching to try it out. I was really kinda bummed out when I found out that so many places frown on metal detectors. I wanted to go out tomorrow and Jan 27, 2006 and do some MDing but I really don't have any idea where to go, without risking getting in trouble or angering someone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think I am most interested in nugget hunting but at this point any type of metal detecting sounds good. If anyone is from the Raleigh, NC area and wants to go out tomorrow morning or could tell me a place to go give me a call (919) 342-5132 and ask for John or send me an email at [email protected] . I don't mind paying a fee if I have to.

John

Upvote 0

jimfnc

Greenie
Sep 12, 2004
i live in greensboro (100 miles west of raleigh to those not in the areas). I'm still trying to figure out where to go. I did joing the GPAA organization and they are sending a book of mining sites (state by state i think). The Map of North Carolina Gold (www.goldmaps.com) shows a couple mine sites north side of Chapel Hill, a few between Chapel hill & High Point, then the bulk to the south & west of High Point. I've got a beach detector (Excalibur) but not a specific gold detector. If you find a place legal to hunt in the area I'd be interested. jim

Thanks for the reply Jim,
I went out yesterday to a city park that is fairly new and did a little detecting around the edge of the forest. I kept finding clipped pieces of a chain link fence though. After digging up the fifth piece of chain link fence, I decided I better find a better spot. I bought a Gold Prospector Magazine and I read about the GPAA that you mentioned. I am going to join myself and see if that helps me find some good spots. I read that the GPAA has claims that members can mine/detect on, so that could be cool. I just bought a Minelab GP-3500, I read some reviews and it seemed it was a good gold detector ( good chain link fence detector for sure :) ). I'll let you know if I find a good spot.

John

jimfnc

Greenie
Sep 12, 2004
I have been looking at the GP-3500 specs and it seems very impressive, and hoping to get one some day. Have always beleived in quality equipment. I have has similar results in some local parks. The GPAA is such a minor investment compared to all the other equipment. The other forum in Treasurenet - dredging/panning/sluicing has a number of informative posts for NC. They mention a large number of places, but not always clear where nugget hunting with a metal detector is allowed versus panning. I have read the National Forests are open to hand panning only, and any detecting can get your detector confiscated.

Sandpit

Jan 28, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Nautilus 2Ba & Tejon
jimfnc,
You can metal detect in the Uwharrie National Forest at Troy, N.C., but you have to apply for a permit. Which requires you to identify area of use and a map. Process supposedly takes three weeks and permit is good for three months. No fee for permit. LOL

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found a nice large piece of lead in a raleigh glenwood avenue park which was recommened in another post on this site.
I also found 2 quarters ;)
I will return there soon for further detecting as it used to be a childrens home in the late 1800`s
Good luck and its near downtown.

For gold you might try any creek west of chapel hill which is in the slate belt of the east coast.

jimfnc

Greenie
Sep 12, 2004
(i posted this on another site)
The following publications may help. Several are out of print - i purchased used on www.abebooks.com a website market for thousands of booksellers.
1. Gold Deposits in North Carolina by Herman Bryson 1936
North Carolina Dept of Conservation and Development - Bulletin 38
covers Eastern Carolina Belt, Slate Belt, and all the other belts in NC
2. Gold Resources of North Carolina by P.A. Carpenter III
North Carolina Dept Natural Resources - Information Circular 21
2 editions: 1972 and 1978 i got both - they are different
3. Metallic Mineral Depositsof the Carolina Slate Belt by P.A> Carpenter III
North Carolina Dept Natural Resources - Bulletin 84 - 1976
detailed description, mine by mine - nice map! - Slate Belt only..

wakeforestgold

Greenie
Jul 26, 2014
wake forest nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hi john

there is an association here in raleigh that do search using metal detectors. but with a paid subscription i guess.

please let me know if still interested
thanks

rgmaggi

Jun 12, 2016
Apex, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking buddies to go treasure hunting with

I live in Apex, and I am looking to explore and go metal detecting in NC. I live i Apex, NC. Reading, researching, exploring and hunting historical treasures.
R

meeulk

Jan 2, 2009
Apex, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Apex, and I am looking to explore and go metal detecting in NC. I live i Apex, NC. Reading, researching, exploring and hunting historical treasures.
R

I live in Apex, too. From researching, it seems there aren't a lot of spots we can detect legally. Even city parks (which I thought were legal) really aren't. I'd love to find more info on the rules in Wake County. I'm not one to go knock on doors, and what's the point in having a metal detector if we can't use it?! :dontknow:

"Wake County Parks Metal Detector GuidelineThere is not an official County ordinance that prohibits the use of metal detectors in the County's parks,but rather this is governed by our Division's internal guidelines and policies. Our guideline on the use ofmetal detectors is that you can use a metal detector to look for an item you have specifically lost, but notto "treasure hunt" in general.Our guidelines are based on several parameters including: that several of our parks are on leased landand some of our leases prohibit the use of metal detectors in specific parks; that Wake County Parks,Recreation & Open Space has a "No Collection" policy that does not allow visitors to take things (naturalor man-made) from the parks; and finally, all of our parks contain either historically significant historicstructures, or documented cemeteries that we do not wish disturbed."

rtp_guy

Jan 22, 2014
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Minelab CTX 3030
Fischer Gold Bug 2
Garrett AT Gold
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's MX5
Titan 9000
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Apex, too. From researching, it seems there aren't a lot of spots we can detect legally. Even city parks (which I thought were legal) really aren't. I'd love to find more info on the rules in Wake County. I'm not one to go knock on doors, and what's the point in having a metal detector if we can't use it?! :dontknow:

"Wake County Parks Metal Detector GuidelineThere is not an official County ordinance that prohibits the use of metal detectors in the County's parks,but rather this is governed by our Division's internal guidelines and policies. Our guideline on the use ofmetal detectors is that you can use a metal detector to look for an item you have specifically lost, but notto "treasure hunt" in general.Our guidelines are based on several parameters including: that several of our parks are on leased landand some of our leases prohibit the use of metal detectors in specific parks; that Wake County Parks,Recreation & Open Space has a "No Collection" policy that does not allow visitors to take things (naturalor man-made) from the parks; and finally, all of our parks contain either historically significant historicstructures, or documented cemeteries that we do not wish disturbed."

In Durham here. I'd love to get together to detect or prospect in the Triangle. I have a load of gold mining items (3" Proline dredge, Gold Cube, multiple sluices, Miller table), as well as a few detectors (Garrett AT Gold and Minelab Excalibur II). If it involves diving for gold, I also have a compressor on my dredge, drysuit, semi-drysuit, wetsuit and diving gear. I'd be interested in anything from a quick detector trip to an ongoing gold prospecting opportunity. PM me if interested.

Delmarvapackrat

Greenie
Sep 13, 2013
Holly Springs, NC
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, just wanted to add my 2 cents for what it's worth: My hubby and I walked around Bass Lake in Holly Springs, they have a 2-mile walk laid out that goes around the lake. There were piles of quartz rock along the trail and I could see what looked like flakes of gold in it! Not pyrite. Of course, no one can prospect there.

Bobby Dazzler

Feb 10, 2019
Raleigh NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600. Minelab Profind 35. Minelab Gofind 40.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seeking sites and/or club

hi john

there is an association here in raleigh that do search using metal detectors. but with a paid subscription i guess.

please let me know if still interested
thanks

Hey i live in Raleigh and am looking to join a local club that does hunts. I am interested if still possible...

Any information would be helpful thanks!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here! Just bought an equinox 800
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: North Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread