Whats the Price on a Oz of GOLD LEAF FLAKES

JohnnyThunders

May 10, 2005
Hi all just wondering
I have bought a Oz of GOLD LEAF FLAKES for $100
To me I feel the price is well worth it.
I am wondering if I could buy a few more Oz
of the GOLD LEAF FLAKES at the same price will it be worth it?
It looks like there is a lot of gold in the bottle lol

if I buy 10 Oz of GOLD LEAF FLAKES for $1000,,,will that be a deal???

I weight it and its a tad over 1 Oz minus the bottle...I know after a few Ozs you can get it melted down at little cost,,,thats if you have a lot.
Too me at $100 a Oz,,,its kinda worth it because golds $1100 a Oz on the market

The Gold don't float (No water in bottle},,,its filled in the bottle to the top with gold............JT

Upvote 0

golddigger65

Feb 2, 2010
Northern Calif
Detector(s) used
Gold bug/Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is some information on the 'gold leaf flakes' you have bought. As always, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is:

When browsing through auctions of gold coins, buillon etc, you have probably noticed gold flakes being sold most often in vials. They are most often portrayed in the auction as being large vials filled with pure gold. To the new collector of gold this may seem as quite a deal to come upon, immediatly using the "buy it now" option or bidding several dollars. Any auction listing gold or any other precious metal obviously lists its weight. The weight however is always absent with these gold flake auctions. Why? After researching i found that Gold leaf is only a few micrometres thick. The value of a gold leaf the size of a large gold coin is only about $0.20.

What is metal leaf? Leafing is a thin foil of some nearly pure metal, often gold. If made by hand, small pieces of metal are placed between sheets of parchment and pounded repeatedly with wooden mallets. As the metal thins out, it forms large sheets. These sheets are divided and the process repeated. The final sheets of metal are trimmed, cut to various sizes, and sandwiched between sheets of paper to protect them. A small amount of metal will result in a sheet with a large surface area but only a few atoms thick.

The same leaf you find in the vials for sale on ebay is the same leaf you find in a number of desserts and liquors like Goldschlager. Obviously if it is cheap enough to be used as a decoration in food products it is practically worthless to the investor. I think it is unethical for a seller to sell gold or another precious metal and not list the weight of the metal. He is simply trying to present the metal in a way to project a valuable commidity where almost none exists.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyThunders

May 10, 2005
Thanks for the reply.
I have panned for gold and this gold looks like the gold you get
at the end after all the black sand is gone in the gold pan.
Well if its what you say,I am glad I only wasted $100 then lol....JT

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
A troy oz. of pure gold is a troy oz of pure gold, regardless of the thickness.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AUDuke said:
A troy oz. of pure gold is a troy oz of pure gold, regardless of the thickness.

EXACTLY. You're goal is to verify if the leaf is actually gold and how pure it is. If it is 24 kt., and there is at least 1 troy oz. in the bottle, then you've gotten a heck of a deal. Remember the old high school science question," What is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?" A pound is a pound is a pound. Ergo, a troy oz. is a troy oz. is a troy oz.

Have the gold leaf pieces tested for quality and go for it. If you compact the gold leaf into a lump, does it change the value? NO. If you take a lump of gold and hammer it out into a thin sheet, does it change the value? NO.

Purity is the key.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
It must be a big bottle!

OP
OP
J

JohnnyThunders

May 10, 2005
Well I was able to cancel my credit card and the order will be void............
As most of you say,,,,,they try to screw the unknowing new comers(I guess I am kinda a new comer since I have panned for gold a few times in Calif}
They don't like my canceling,,,screw them allll lol.........JT

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
I have seen this stuff come out of China before. The only thing gold about it is the colour.
Try burning it with a cig lighter...

The Cat

ps. don't buy any more...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Here is a Web Site selling Gold Leaf Flake for $315 / Pound...http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1608881

At roughly $1150 / oz, that would resell for $13,800.00...or a profit of 44 X investment cost...

Do you smell something?
Might be cheaper to go to a hobby shop & buy a Gold Leafing kit. Last one I bought to repair a picture frame only cost like $10 give or take. Never thought about it really. Hmm..... Now ya got me thinking! I might have an envelope with $13,000 of gold laying in a drawer in the work bench.

S

stefen

JohnnyThunders said:
Well I was able to cancel my credit card and the order will be void............
As most of you say,,,,,they try to screw the unknowing new comers(I guess I am kinda a new comer since I have panned for gold a few times in Calif}
They don't like my canceling,,,screw them allll lol.........JT

Well done me laddy :hello2:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when the restrictions on gold ownership were lifted in the U.S. and the value was allowed to match the world gold values, manufacturers had to come up with a substitute for gold. There were manufacturers who use gold to trim figurines and other items and needed something CHEAP that still LOOKED like gold. I think that material was also used in some gold leafing books.

Sounds like MAYBE some thieves, errrrr, businessmen have a large supply of that fake stuff and are running a con job. :dontknow: I mean, how else could they afford to sell $1000 gold for $300. :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
$300 bucks is probably still a ripoff :icon_scratch:

My point exactly. I should have put that $1000 gold in quotation marks to stand for "phony" gold.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Am wondering about measurements.

"only a few micrometres thick"
and
"a few atoms thick".

I usually work with American measurements but have been forced to use metrics occasionally.
As I recall, a milimeter is .0394 inches.
A micron is .000394 inches.
Don't know what a micrometre is.
As to the thickness of atoms, uh, far beyond me.
Anyone ever measured gold leaf in inches?
My guess would be near .001
(How many thousandths are there in an inch? There must be millions of them they are so small)

Have the same problem when someone says "12 ga. steel".
Have to look that up as the only 12 ga. I have throws about a 3/4" projectile.

Grey

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Here's what I got from a 5" x 5" box full of gold leaf flakes!

It weighs over 13g ;D

Attachments

• nugget 002.JPG
    nugget 002.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,453
S

stefen

Shawn...all I can say is that you should wear a hat the next time you're out in the noonday sun :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread