Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

May 2005

Whats the Price on a Oz of GOLD LEAF FLAKES

Hi all just wondering
    I have bought a Oz of GOLD LEAF FLAKES for $100
    To me I feel the price is well worth it.
    I am wondering if I could buy a few more Oz
    of the GOLD LEAF FLAKES at the same price will it be worth it?
    It looks like there is a lot of gold in the bottle lol

if I buy 10 Oz of GOLD LEAF FLAKES for $1000,,,will that be a deal

I weight it and its a tad over 1 Oz minus the bottle...I know after a few Ozs you can get it melted down at little cost,,,thats if you have a lot.
    Too me at $100 a Oz,,,its kinda worth it because golds $1100 a Oz on the market

The Gold don't float (No water in bottle},,,its filled in the bottle to the top with gold............JT

us
    Feb 2010
    Northern Calif
    Gold bug/Spectrum XLT
    1 times

Re: Whats the Price on a Oz of GOLD LEAF FLAKES

Here is some information on the 'gold leaf flakes' you have bought. As always, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is:

When browsing through auctions of gold coins, buillon etc, you have probably noticed gold flakes being sold most often in vials. They are most often portrayed in the auction as being large vials filled with pure gold. To the new collector of gold this may seem as quite a deal to come upon, immediatly using the "buy it now" option or bidding several dollars. Any auction listing gold or any other precious metal obviously lists its weight. The weight however is always absent with these gold flake auctions. Why? After researching i found that Gold leaf is only a few micrometres thick. The value of a gold leaf the size of a large gold coin is only about $0.20.

What is metal leaf? Leafing is a thin foil of some nearly pure metal, often gold. If made by hand, small pieces of metal are placed between sheets of parchment and pounded repeatedly with wooden mallets. As the metal thins out, it forms large sheets. These sheets are divided and the process repeated. The final sheets of metal are trimmed, cut to various sizes, and sandwiched between sheets of paper to protect them. A small amount of metal will result in a sheet with a large surface area but only a few atoms thick.

The same leaf you find in the vials for sale on ebay is the same leaf you find in a number of desserts and liquors like Goldschlager. Obviously if it is cheap enough to be used as a decoration in food products it is practically worthless to the investor. I think it is unethical for a seller to sell gold or another precious metal and not list the weight of the metal. He is simply trying to present the metal in a way to project a valuable commidity where almost none exists.

May 2005

Thanks for the reply.
    I have panned for gold and this gold looks like the gold you get
    at the end after all the black sand is gone in the gold pan.
    Well if its what you say,I am glad I only wasted $100 then lol....JT

us
    Apr 2008
    Quartzsite AZ
    TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
    2 times

A troy oz. of pure gold is a troy oz of pure gold, regardless of the thickness.

us
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits."~Albert Einstein

Jan 2007
    Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
    249 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by AUDuke
    A troy oz. of pure gold is a troy oz of pure gold, regardless of the thickness.
    EXACTLY. You're goal is to verify if the leaf is actually gold and how pure it is. If it is 24 kt., and there is at least 1 troy oz. in the bottle, then you've gotten a heck of a deal. Remember the old high school science question," What is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?" A pound is a pound is a pound. Ergo, a troy oz. is a troy oz. is a troy oz.

Have the gold leaf pieces tested for quality and go for it. If you compact the gold leaf into a lump, does it change the value? NO. If you take a lump of gold and hammer it out into a thin sheet, does it change the value? NO.

Purity is the key.
    "Dobie created the HUNGER............Von Mueller said, EAT". comment by HELM Associates on the dedication page of their book, Treaasure Lead Generation.

gb
    May 2008
    uk
    tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
    13 times
    Banner Finds (4)

It must be a big bottle!
    Who needs Cartwheel Pennies anyway?

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    953 times

Here is a Web Site selling Gold Leaf Flake for $315 / Pound...http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1608881

At roughly $1150 / oz, that would resell for $13,800.00...or a profit of 44 X investment cost...

Do you smell something?

The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

May 2005

Well I was able to cancel my credit card and the order will be void............
    As most of you say,,,,,they try to screw the unknowing new comers(I guess I am kinda a new comer since I have panned for gold a few times in Calif}
    They don't like my canceling,,,screw them allll lol.........JT

au
    Enjoy Lfe. There is not much left as we know it.

Oct 2009
    Queensland
    Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
    1 times

I have seen this stuff come out of China before. The only thing gold about it is the colour.
    Try burning it with a cig lighter...

The Cat

ps. don't buy any more...

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB
    63 times

Quote Originally Posted by stefen
    Here is a Web Site selling Gold Leaf Flake for $315 / Pound...http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1608881

At roughly $1150 / oz, that would resell for $13,800.00...or a profit of 44 X investment cost...

Do you smell something?

Might be cheaper to go to a hobby shop & buy a Gold Leafing kit. Last one I bought to repair a picture frame only cost like $10 give or take. Never thought about it really. Hmm..... Now ya got me thinking! I might have an envelope with $13,000 of gold laying in a drawer in the work bench.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    2310 times

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    953 times

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyThunders
    Well I was able to cancel my credit card and the order will be void............
    As most of you say,,,,,they try to screw the unknowing new comers(I guess I am kinda a new comer since I have panned for gold a few times in Calif}
    They don't like my canceling,,,screw them allll lol.........JT
    Well done me laddy
    The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance

us
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits."~Albert Einstein

Jan 2007
    Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
    249 times

Back when the restrictions on gold ownership were lifted in the U.S. and the value was allowed to match the world gold values, manufacturers had to come up with a substitute for gold. There were manufacturers who use gold to trim figurines and other items and needed something CHEAP that still LOOKED like gold. I think that material was also used in some gold leafing books.

Sounds like MAYBE some thieves, errrrr, businessmen have a large supply of that fake stuff and are running a con job. I mean, how else could they afford to sell $1000 gold for $300.
    "Dobie created the HUNGER............Von Mueller said, EAT". comment by HELM Associates on the dedication page of their book, Treaasure Lead Generation.

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    953 times

$300 bucks is probably still a ripoff

us

Jan 2007
    249 times

Quote Originally Posted by stefen
    $300 bucks is probably still a ripoff
    My point exactly. I should have put that $1000 gold in quotation marks to stand for "phony" gold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors