MD/Prospecting with Whites DFX

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX series with 9" coil and 18" coil.
MD/Prospecting with White's DFX

Has anyone done gold detecting with the White DFX? I tried using my gold graduation ring to see the difference between a Gold find, and a regular metal to try my luck at md/prospecting but every time the metal find is almost the same as the gold find. What am I doing wrong?

Anyone has any advice on the White's DFX for gold detecting? Thanks.

Upvote 0

golddredgergold

Dec 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX, Gold Master 2, Surfmaster PI, TF900, Falcon MD20, Arc Geo Logger
Re: MD/Prospecting with White's DFX

Hey there,
I have hunted nuggets with the DFX. It is pretty much a lost cause. The DFX ground tracking balance system is no where near good enough for nugget hunting. I suppose there might be some ground out there some where that it may work in but for the most part the nugget would need to be pretty large for the DFX to see it. The ground where nuggets are is just to hot for the ground balance system. When you balance the DFX to the hot ground that pretty much wipes out any small gold right there and the detector is very noisy. I finally got the extra cash together to just buy a decent gold detector. Or if you have a MXT it will work great use that long before the DFX. I love my DFX but it is no gold machine not even by a long shot. Anyone that says it works OK for this is pulling your leg they have never really used it to hunt nuggets in nugget ground. I really wish they would not have even put a prospecting mode in it. Just left the slot open for custom programs. A little tip if you try the DFX because it is all you have then run "Relic mode" and set the discrimination to accept down to -30. Use a 4X6 shooter DD coil and that is about as smooth as you can get the DFX to be and still see a nugget of decent size. A rice size nugget will air test and the DFX will see it but put it on the ground and ground balance the DFX on the hot ground then check and the nugget will be gone.

Hope this helps you out.

OP
OP
LuisTH

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX series with 9" coil and 18" coil.
Re: MD/Prospecting with White's DFX

golddredgergold said:
Hey there,
I have hunted nuggets with the DFX. It is pretty much a lost cause. The DFX ground tracking balance system is no where near good enough for nugget hunting. I suppose there might be some ground out there some where that it may work in but for the most part the nugget would need to be pretty large for the DFX to see it. The ground where nuggets are is just to hot for the ground balance system. When you balance the DFX to the hot ground that pretty much wipes out any small gold right there and the detector is very noisy. I finally got the extra cash together to just buy a decent gold detector. Or if you have a MXT it will work great use that long before the DFX. I love my DFX but it is no gold machine not even by a long shot. Anyone that says it works OK for this is pulling your leg they have never really used it to hunt nuggets in nugget ground. I really wish they would not have even put a prospecting mode in it. Just left the slot open for custom programs. A little tip if you try the DFX because it is all you have then run "Relic mode" and set the discrimination to accept down to -30. Use a 4X6 shooter DD coil and that is about as smooth as you can get the DFX to be and still see a nugget of decent size. A rice size nugget will air test and the DFX will see it but put it on the ground and ground balance the DFX on the hot ground then check and the nugget will be gone.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks a lot for the info. I actually bought the DFX thinking it would be a good all around detector, but I am finding differently now.

The only detector I have is the DFF, so I will try the hints you gave me and see how it works.

BTW, what would be a decent to good gold detector and how much more or less would it cost?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread