Gold Bug 2 or GMT I need help deciding

excaliber

Apr 27, 2010
I have read every post on this site about both these detectors. I just can't decide which one would be better for me. This will be my first detector.

I'm in Idaho. I'm looking for a Nugget shooter that will be able to work benches, drainages and tailing piles.

Both of these units have a great following but I was hoping some of you who have these units can comment on things like depth they will both detect, Ease of use for a newbie and coil size for mineralized areas?

For those that have experience with both is one better than the other and why do you think so? They are close in price are they that close in performance?
One last thing. I see a mess of Gold Bug 2's for sale but hardly ever see any GMT's for sale. Any takes on that?

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you read all these: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,252713.0.html
and you still cant decide, then you probably cant go wrong either way. :dontknow:
I think the posts by Steve Herschbach on that thread should answer your questions as he owns and operates both.

I wish you well. I chose the GMT and am very happy with my choice. It does good in highly mineralized soil, has great depth for nuggets and also picks up small flakes as well. Plus it's easy to use. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

snakejim

Dec 18, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer, White's GM3, GMT, GM24K, White's Pulse scan TDI, Sierra Pulse Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since this is your first detector I am going to recommend the GMT because of the automatic ground balance and tracking. The Gold Bug 2 is known for its ability to find the smallest gold when fitted with the small coil, but it is strickly a manual ground balanced detector. Manual ground balance for some folks is a painful and sometimes frustrating task especially in highly mineralized variable ground. The GMT comes in 2nd place for small gold and actually will find the larger pieces deeper than the GB2 in that really bad ground. You will be grateful that the GMT takes care of the ground balancing so you can dig more targets instead of wasting time turning the ground balance knob.
RSJ

WildernessAU

Dec 25, 2009
I just went throught this debate as well. After reading everything I could find on each detector, I chose the Gold Bug2. It didn't take too long to learn the ground balancing, but you certainly have to experiment with the mineralization switches as those truly affect the detection depth of the machine.
I have the 6in coil and have found sub-grain pieces of non-ferrous metal at up to 2inches.
The main reason that I chose the GB2 is because of its capability to find tiny gold which will aid me in finding locations to highbank and further explore.

My only suggestion to you is pay alittle more....go to a reputable/experienced dealer that carries both detectors and try them both out.
The added depth of the GMT may prove more usefull in dredged tailings piles.
D

ColoradoGoldman

Jul 9, 2009
Falcon, CO.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300,Whites Pulse Scan TDI, Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Hi Excaliber.
I know this off topic, but I just want to give you another choice. I have been doing this for over 40 yr and feel I have used most if not all the better gold detectors. Knowing what I know and if this will be used for other detecting, then the MXT with 6X10" DD coil for gold is hard to beat, the depth is great for a VLF, and I for one don't care to dig sub grain gold all day and end up with 1/2 a gm in all. I would prefer to use a high banker or drywasher to get more for my time. The MXT will find some real small gold at a much greater depth than both of the GBII and GMT because of the freq of 15 KHZ. It is funny that the new GB Pro has a 19 KHZ freq to find gold deeper. The MXT will also do coins & jewelry as well as a great relic mode. With that said, if I was only going to nugget hunt I would get a Whites TDI Pulse Scan PI. It will handle any minerals in the soil like basalt, blacksand, hot rocks, iron, cold rocks you name it. I have found pickers the size #7 bird shot at 4-6 inches, 1/2 gram nuggets 7-8 in. With the 6X10" Jimmy coil it should find gold almost as small as the MXT at even more depth. I hope I didn't muddy up the water to much :icon_thumleft: You can't go wrong with any of these detectors.
Good Luck abd Keeper Swinging
CH

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MXT all the way Bro.......great advice from the above.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a GM2 & a GB2 .....I kept the bug .....just my 2 cents.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Excaliber,
If I may add.... a GOOD salesman will make a broom sound like the machine for you! You have an edge on those walking into a showroom= the guys here have already taken them OUT FOR A SPIN. Everyone of these guys know their machine is the BEST. Now to really throw in a monkey wrench, NONE of them are lying. Just remember, detectors are incapable of lying. You just have to learn what the machine is telling you. It won't be 5 10 or 50 hours but more like a 100 or more before you become bilingual. At that point, the sound is what you will depend on... not the other bells and whistles. Oh, BTW, my fav for gold is Garrett's Scorpion. Good loooong track record. Good luck.... TTC

OP
OP
E

excaliber

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for all the information. You are going to laugh but I'm still up in the air. The more info I get the more confused I become.
First I was all set on the GB2. Then I was convinced after reading posts the GMT would be the better all around detector especially for a newbie. Then I see most guys around here are using the GB2. Now I'm not so sure what the heck to do?
I may just end up buying both so I don't have to decide on one or the other.

I'll let you know how this all shakes out.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
different people tend to gravitate towards different machines,kind of like some prefer blonde-some brunette etc... some machines have a big learning curve-some don't.what ever you decide make sure you learn what your machine is telling you.that is the secret.some people can out perform others with a lesser machine.the secret is LEARN YOUR MACHINE!!!and you will do well what ever you chose.best thing to do is try out several and go with the one you feel.

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
Hi guys, This is a topic that I dont think will ever have a clear cut winner. Both have their place in different ground where one will out shine the other & vice versa. Short answer would be to buy both, or try both, use them, & on sell the one you feel isnt as good as the other in the ground you mostly will be operating in. Other wise you will drive yourself nuts trying to get an answer that is going to satisfy you, just as what is happening here with you right now. If you get one over the other then you will always be wondering how well the other MAY have performed.
If you decide to get one over the other with out trying the other, it doesnt sound like you can go wrong either way. But then just be happy with your choice & dont procrastinate over how well, or how much better the other May have been,
Very good advice by TCC.......I am skeptical about the Scorpion these days though with what other machines that are available now. Maybe his was a freak off the production line LOL :icon_scratch: but like he said. A detector in the hands of someone that knows his machine inside out is a very powerful tool. KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE is every thing.
Good luck & happy hunting

JW :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: Detectors are like women-one mans wonder is anothers nightmare. Like women try it out before you buy or you will spend a lifetime in righteous regret!!Always buddy up in a club or outing settings and learn from hands on experience before you plop down any hard won greenbacks. I run the GB2 and the Tesoro Lobo Supertraq for trashy areas-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :icon_thumright:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Fisher Goldbug II, White's GMT and the Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq are THE TOP THREE VLF metal detectors for gold - period. No other VLF machine on the market today can touch them. The best of the three? You are walking into argument city there! That said, I will take the Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq :headbang: EVERY time. Why? 1) I can find gold the size of a BB in bad, mineralized soil 2) Easy to use and ground balance 3) LIFELONG (that's for-ever!) WARRANTY 4) Made in Arizona :notworthy:

Cheers! - Terry

excaliber said:
I have read every post on this site about both these detectors. I just can't decide which one would be better for me. This will be my first detector.
I'm in Idaho. I'm looking for a Nugget shooter that will with it in heavybe able to work benches, drainages and tailing piles.

Both of these units have a great following but I was hoping some of you who have these units can comment on things like depth they will both detect, Ease of use for a newbie and coil size for mineralized areas?

For those that have experience with both is one better than the other and why do you think so? They are close in price are they that close in performance?
One last thing. I see a mess of Gold Bug 2's for sale but hardly ever see any GMT's for sale. Any takes on that?

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
The MXT is better than the GMT,Lobo, or the GB2 and the F75 is equal to or better than any of them for nugget hunting.

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I just jumped the gun and got a GM1000. There was a used gold bug 2 with just 1 coil and no headphones for $500, or the GM1000 just a little more with my mil discount. It was over budget, but figured it was a smart move

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm in Idaho. I'm looking for a Nugget shooter that will be able to work benches, drainages and tailing piles.

If I were in Idaho in your shoes right now, the GMT. Idaho still has plenty of big gold, I'd want more depth than sensitivity to smaller stuff.

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a noobie to nuggetshooting, but have been prospecting for 3 years now. I tried using a White's Sierra Super Trac. Not a good choice, the biggest reason, no threshold (sound). I recently found a GMT in a pawn shop for $280! He didn't know what he had. It works great. Want wait to go out with it! Good luck with your choice.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread