Me & a 2-LB Nugget

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Safari, Explorer SE Pro, & Excallibur II
Me & a 2-LB Nugget

At this weekend's GPAA/LDMA Vein Mountain outing, I had a chance to catch up with William Wilcox, the Nugget Man. He's quite a character, and I enjoyed swapping stories and lies with him. As many of you know, Will found a nugget while detecting in CA that weighs just under 24 troy ounces or 2 troy pounds. He was kind enough to let me hold this beauty and pose for a picture with it. It sure was a great feeling... ;D

Attachments

• nuggetman.jpg
    nuggetman.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,597
  • 2lbnugget.jpg
    2lbnugget.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2,740
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Me & a 2-LB Nugget

kuger said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
kuger said:
Its been said on here already that that kind of gold is hard to sell......fact is,IT IS!!!I have been trying for almost two years now to sell a 22 ozer.Highest bid was $45,000....its not going to get sold for that :thumbsup:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,272395.0.html

That is different, it' isn't that you can't sell it, it is that you haven't got the offer your willing to accept for it.

If it is pure 24k gold the melt value is $23,780.25, you have been offered twice that......

It would be the same as my saying I can't sell my indian artifact bear bladder water bottle that was found in a cave in New Mexico, (I have turned down over $4000 for it) when the fact is I can sell it, I just haven't been offered enough money to tempt me to sell it......

Yea,selling for less is giving it away,thats bad business,you agree??

The value is in how you preceive it.....Something is only worth what you can get for it..............For me the Waterbottle is worth more as the center piece of my artifact collection then the addition to my savings account the sale would give.... For you the nugget is worth more then they are offering, but both my waterbottle and your nugget can be sold....

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

2 years ago that was more than 3X spot!!!! :icon_scratch: What do you expect from that nugget X wise?? Cause it just don't get no better than that in my book anyhow??John :dontknow:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hoser John said:
2 years ago that was more than 3X spot!!!! :icon_scratch: What do you expect from that nugget X wise?? Cause it just don't get no better than that in my book anyhow??John :dontknow:

Well it wasnt found two years ago,and I am no mathmatician but my math doesnt come up with that being 3x,at $1185 an ounce?Then after Uncle Sam gets his cut.
This isnt my piece,and the fact that not many specimens of this stature from Calif still exist adds to the value as well

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You SPECIFICALLY stated more than 2 years ago and then gold was at/below the $500 level thats all,just using your info?? I got no horse in this race-your(friends) righteous nugget and not mine as it'd be a cold day in LL before I'd EVER sell it at any price-John

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hoser John said:
You SPECIFICALLY stated more than 2 years ago and then gold was at/below the $500 level thats all,just using your info?? I got no horse in this race-your(friends) righteous nugget and not mine as it'd be a cold day in LL before I'd EVER sell it at any price-John

John,it was found last summer bud,here is the date I posted it,
22 ouncer!
Posted Sep 17, 2009, 07:28:50 PM

Spot was not $500!If I remember correctly it was right around that time it was a record high.
I sell A LOT of gold,and agree with you if it were mine,it would be in a museum,buts its not. :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger said:
Hoser John said:

22 ouncer!

Spot was not $500!If I remember correctly it was right around that time it was a record high.
I sell A LOT of gold,and agree with you if it were mine,it would be in a museum,buts its not. :thumbsup:

Price of gold on Sep 17, 2009 $1,018.50

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter said:
kuger said:
Hoser John said:

22 ouncer!

O.K.,thats still not the 3x spot as stated.

Non the less we can argue this all day long,bottom line is anybody that ever found any amount of gold knows its worth and although somebody that wants to cheat you is around every corner,the smart ones will hold out till,what is worth is offered.

Price of gold on Sep 17, 2009 $1,018.50

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger said:
Its been said on here already that that kind of gold is hard to sell......fact is,IT IS!!!I have been trying for almost two years now to sell a 22 ozer.Highest bid was $45,000....its not going to get sold for that :thumbsup:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,272395.0.html
[/quote

FACT IS YOUR POST SAYS 2 FRIGGN' YEARS--READ IT

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You win,I mis-spoke,it was found last Sept,I dont know why I said two years,does that change the value?

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

miasdad said:
i would walk that baby right up to the us mint :laughing7:

And the U.S. would pay you (about) $12K and oz., MINUS a mint fee of about 12%.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread