Big Ten Gold Maps - Any Good.???

Ray-King

Hiya all,
Am hoping to come over to Califonia next year on a gold prospecting holiday with a MD.
Have read alot about Big ten's Gold Maps.
Can anyone tell me if,
A. They are a good source to find gold hunting areas and
B. Are they reliable for sending the maps they sell.
I don't mind parting with the cash if i know i'll get the maps in the post.
I've been caught a couple of times by fraudsters in the past and don't want to be had again.
also i'd like to know if anyone has any of the maps and find they are good or bad etc.
Many thanks in advance for any help on this matter.
All the best and happy hunting to you all.
Ray.

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I've never ordered from them, but I know they have been around awhile. Their maps are available all over and have been for several years. I picked up a set for Oregon a few years back. saves a lot of time in trying to research it yourself.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the CA set. There is no specific info other than a gold dot in the vicinity of a mine or where place gold may have been found. But the dot is about the size of the happy faces above and covers a large area. I guess as a relative locating device they are pretty good.

Do you know where you want to go specifically?

rodeohog

Jan 16, 2005
I bought the maps for the southeastern area (SC,NC,GA,AL) and found no great value per se in them. Sure, they have the little yellow dots where gold apparently has been found sometime in the past, but most of the information can be gleaned from very little research at the library or internet. Telling me where an old gold mine is does not get me permission to prospect there, and many if not all of the sites are on private property, under water, or have a housing project on them. So unless the yellow dot is on public land, aka, national forest, BLM, or other such place, you aren't likely to be doing any prospecting. At least that is true for here. I can't speak for other areas, especially western states where there may be a lot of public land available. Again if the yellow dot is on a piece of property you have access to, then it can be very usefull to get you on a creek that has produced before and that can be worth the cost. My map on NC has puuulllenty of yellow dots, but I bet if I went to the ones not on public lands I would find either a no trespassing sign, a mall, or a "gold pan for $10" sign. This is not to slight the producer of these maps, a very kindly gentleman who sent me my maps before he even got payment, just that that is the way things are. Hope this helps

Steve

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
I agree with most everyone here. The maps are a good place to start, but should not be used as your only source for finding gold.It shows where gold has been found in the past,so that is a good place to start looking.I would also check the Geologic Survey of the particular state i am researching.My maps date from 1983 so they should probably be updated.I know of a few places on the SC maps that don't show gold but i know that there is some there.

OP
OP
Ray-King

Ray-King

Thanks all for the information and advice.
Will take it onboard and do some more research and will keep this Forum posted of any finds if any.???
Fingers crossed.!!!!
Thanks again,
All the best to you all and happy hunting too,
Ray.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Hi Ray
Do you know where in Calif you are going to visit. Are you metal detecting only or interested in other methiods on prospecting. Also the time of year in inportant. In the summer the temp in the desert will make you wish you were in hell. You could detect in the Mother Lode along the rivers and if it gets to hot just jump in. Also there is panning and sluceing etc. My suggestion would be to make connections with someone on this or other forums for info on where to go. Maybe someone will take you to club claims as a guest. California covers a large area but I think these forums will zero you in more than the maps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread