My nugget shooting *exploration* arsenal

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear group;
Here is a pic of the equipment that I prefer to use when I go nugget shooting in an area that I am unfamiliar with. My arsenal includes:
Minelab SD2100v2 w/2 pc. fiberglass Otto* shaft & sheepskin arm brace
Coiltek Pocket Rocket Lith-ion battery pack w/extra battery & charger
DeTacc Signal Amplifier w/external speaker
Koss headphones
18" Coiltek round mono coil
14" Coiltek round Mono coil
11" Coiltek round mono coil
10 X 5 Coiltek "Joey" Mono coil
Minelab harness modified w/extra pouches
Claimjumper bungee cord
Plastic scoop
2 quart canteen w/grape Kool-Aid :icon_thumright:
2.5 lb. hammer
German surplus entrenching tool w/pick
Small forged trenching/digging tool
Large broad tip chiesel
Large pointed chisel
Garmin GPS
Whistle
Black pouch w/Leatherman tool, 10X loupe, small gram scale, Super-Glue, spare AA batteries, spare curly cord, nylon bolts/wing nuts, coil to shaft gaskets, etc (ie. anything that can get lost and mess up my day)

This pretty well covers the equipment that I prefer to use whenever I am detecting in an area that I am not familiar with. If I happen to find some nuggets, I will return to the spot with my GP-3000 and a selection of DD coils in order to *clean up* any and all nuggets that I may have missed with the SD-2100v2, and trust me, the SD-2100 can *overlook* very small nuggets, especially the ones that are close to the surface.

Please note that I prefer mono coils with the SD-2100 as they seem to be the best performers. The DD would coils seem to be dogs on the SD-2100, yet they perform admirably well on the GP-3000 with only a slightly loss of depth. I've been asked how *slight* is slight, and I estimate that on the GP-3000, DD coils only sacrifice 10-20% of the depth of a like mono coil, however on the SD-2100, DD coils seem to have about half of the working depth of a like mono coil.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Attachments

• SD-2100Setup.JPG
    SD-2100Setup.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 510
Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Exceptionally nice outfit! Well done.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
lamar

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Lanny in AB said:
Exceptionally nice outfit! Well done.

All the best,

Lanny
Dear Lanny;
Thank you for your kind words, my friend. I could not help but notice that you are in Alberta. I was not aware that there are any significant gold deposits located in that area and if my assumption is correct, then I am very surprised. May I ask if you reside close to Rocky Mountain House?
Your friend;
LAMAR

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lamar--actually there was a gold rush in Edmonton Alberta--mostly flour gold but lots and lots of it--check it out on the Internet--quite interesting. People today are still getting gold out of that river.

However, I like the bigger gold, chunks and nuggets, so I spend most of my time in British Columbia (Canadian province that fronts the Pacific Ocean), with prospecting trips off and on to Montana, Idaho, Arizona, and Alaska. Rocky Mountain House is quite a ways from me--I live right close to the American Border with Montana--and I've yet to visit Rocky Mountain House. It's still on my list of places to visit someday.

The only coarse gold in Alberta that I'm aware of is the stuff of legends--lost mines, and such. I have a friend whose grandpa had a claim up near this area in the Rocky Mountains (about an hour from where I live)--he found nuggets the size of his thumb--showed them to his grand kids. One of them hired a lawyer to research the claim, but all of the records for that period (the time the claim was filed) were destroyed in a fire in the late 1800's--so much for that gold.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread