Fisher Gold Bug 2 vs. Whites GMT. Ill find out.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher Gold Bug 2 vs. Whites GMT. I'll find out.

Well,
I've owned 2 Gold Stingers for many years, possibly 20 or more. Difficult to remember. I also own a GTA500 ("out of print") an Impulse 8 (out of print), and other md's, some going back to the BFO days. The F4, I believe, was a mistake. But those all have their own stories. I have purchased a GB2 recently and have a GMT on the way. It's time to enter the 21st century! In style! No need to sing the praises of both machines again ... I have kept myself up on the posts. Of course, I am biased to certain detectors I have owned. I have kept notebooks on them during the learning curve period. Now I will keep books on both machines, side by side, to test one against the other. I'll find out. TTC

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

lordbaltimore

Greenie
Feb 12, 2011
Northumberland
Detector(s) used
whites MXT and S.E.F. 12 x 10 dd coil,,Golden Mask 4 with S.E.F. 8 x 6 dd coil,,Mikron NRG 150 with 10 x 8 dd .
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Fisher Gold Bug 2 vs. Whites GMT. I'll find out.

extractor said:
Hi Terry Both are great detectors. I think ya might favor the Gmt. :coffee2:
hiya guys,,,fancy the gmt am going to Ausie in a couple months,,,tell me can the gmt pick up coins n jewelery?? and does it work on a salt wet beach???

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lordbaltimore,
Is that handle somehow another acronym for Voldimort?

And good morning, USA northern California time that is, and yes the GMT will locate ALL metals and will do some special filtering in and around ground mineralization. Now I've never used it for coin, jewelry, general detecting but I've found nails with it, pieces of foil, sections of old rusty tin cans and the like. Attached is a picture of what I like to detect with it!

Seems like Nitro should chime in on this question as he's the expert with the GMT and can be found on that brands forum. Like All other detectors it will take time to learn the GMT and that requires watching the videos provided with the detector and they are online as well. And then reading the manual especially any part that talks about special features of the machine. Planting a test garden or taking it to the ocean with you. Practice, practice, practice and then do it all again. It took me awhile to 'start' to be able to use the machine and last year it all came together for me, it was a great adventure!

Ok, time to get on with other aspects of my life. Good luck, try contacting Nitro(i think its Nitro54).............. 63bkpkr

Attachments

• 185_8515.JPG
    185_8515.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,419
  • 185_8515.JPG
    185_8515.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,153

lordbaltimore

Greenie
Feb 12, 2011
Northumberland
Detector(s) used
whites MXT and S.E.F. 12 x 10 dd coil,,Golden Mask 4 with S.E.F. 8 x 6 dd coil,,Mikron NRG 150 with 10 x 8 dd .
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

thanks for that,mon ami,,and no it aint another acronym,,its the real thing,,,%$&"@<!!",,the gmt looks like the one for me,,i know the minelab g,ps are the boys,,but i just dont have enough for a second mortgage,,and besides that looks like a bunch of fair gelt you you found,,also i notice it picks up the very tiny bits too,,,thanks again,,best o luck in the sun,,and see you on the heap,,,baltimore

GarryinFL

Greenie
Oct 7, 2011
FL
Detector(s) used
White's GMT

TerryC said:
Frank,
I have no doubt the coil is waterproof. I will soon find out if the Ground balance or threshold is affected by the wet environment. Tnx. TTC

Hey Terry,
I'm getting into this gold prospecting hobby and am thinking about purchasing the White's GMT MD. Have you used your GMT in shallow creek searching? I am purchasiing some property in Ga that has a creek on two sides. An old gold mining ditch is on the property. I don't know if there was ever any gold found there but I figure I'll do a little searching in the creek but want to select a reasonable priced MD that will work in shallow water. Thanks. GarryinFL

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

GarryinFL said:
TerryC said:
Frank,
I have no doubt the coil is waterproof. I will soon find out if the Ground balance or threshold is affected by the wet environment. Tnx. TTC

Hey Terry,
I'm getting into this gold prospecting hobby and am thinking about purchasing the White's GMT MD. Have you used your GMT in shallow creek searching? I am purchasiing some property in Ga that has a creek on two sides. An old gold mining ditch is on the property. I don't know if there was ever any gold found there but I figure I'll do a little searching in the creek but want to select a reasonable priced MD that will work in shallow water. Thanks. GarryinFL
Garry, Tnx for the response.... this thread itself borders on an archive slot yet I cannot say I've put either machine in water enough to call it a definitive test. Sorry. The GMT is a VERY good and sensitave machine. As I may have mentioned above, I favor the GB2 because I like manual ballancing as apposed to auto. Also, be aware that the water temp may cause the ground balance to change somewhat until the coil temp stabalizes. With that said, you may have fits going from dry (warm) ground to water (cooler) then back to the ground. Try to stay on (in) one or the other. Was I of any help? TTC

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

i remember someone mention guns and fingers

me and my GMT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions