Fisher Gold Bug 2 vs. Whites GMT. Ill find out.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher Gold Bug 2 vs. Whites GMT. I'll find out.

Well,
I've owned 2 Gold Stingers for many years, possibly 20 or more. Difficult to remember. I also own a GTA500 ("out of print") an Impulse 8 (out of print), and other md's, some going back to the BFO days. The F4, I believe, was a mistake. But those all have their own stories. I have purchased a GB2 recently and have a GMT on the way. It's time to enter the 21st century! In style! No need to sing the praises of both machines again ... I have kept myself up on the posts. Of course, I am biased to certain detectors I have owned. I have kept notebooks on them during the learning curve period. Now I will keep books on both machines, side by side, to test one against the other. I'll find out. TTC

Upvote 0

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Re: Fisher Gold Bug 2 vs. Whites GMT. I'll find out.

TerryC said:
Well,
I've owned 2 Gold Stingers for many years, possibly 20 or more. Difficult to remember. I also own a GTA500 ("out of print") an Impulse 8 (out of print), and other md's, some going back to the BFO days. The F4, I believe, was a mistake. But those all have their own stories. I have purchased a GB2 recently and have a GMT on the way. It's time to enter the 21st century! In style! No need to sing the praises of both machines again ... I have kept myself up on the posts. Of course, I am biased to certain detectors I have owned. I have kept notebooks on them during the learning curve period. Now I will keep books on both machines, side by side, to test one against the other. I'll find out. TTC
Dear TerryC;
I have the GMT and it's a wonderful VLF detector, however it's a bit complicated at first. I'd advise anyone who purchases a GMT to take a week or so and LEARN the machine in order to get maximum performance out of it. It's an incredible piece of VLF technology and deadly in the hands of someone who is skilled enough to know all of it's arcane settings.
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey Lamar,
Thanks for the vote of confidence on the GMT. The nice thing about owning both models at the same time is the feedback on the features, and settings, will be immediate and recordable. I have spent hundreds of hours on most of my detectors. The idea that someone can learn enough about a machine in less than, say, 50 hours to become expert enough to sound like an authority, is nonsense. The shame is that most will quit before that 50 hours to put down a perfectly good machine just to buy another and find the same faults. Thanks again... I'll post results as I move along. TTC

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi Terry Both are great detectors. I think ya might favor the Gmt. :coffee2:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

extractor said:
Hi Terry Both are great detectors. I think ya might favor the Gmt. :coffee2:
Extractor,
Actually, I favor the Gold Stinger! But, I will swallow my pride and put the "Model T" down for awhile. It'll be close by, though, if the testing shows older is better. My aim is to go past the ad rhetoric and test them feature to feature... depth to depth... and then hopefully making an objective rather then subjective evaluation. I'm excited to be in this position. Thanks. TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The Whityes GMT came in today. Now time for testing.. unit to unit. First. Kellyco. If the folding lockblade knife that came with the unit is your idea.... drop it...! It is a toy, not to be used in an emergency situation. The bad lock will give way when it is most needed. I threw mine away minutes after looking at it. Now: the info manual is thick and concise. It also looks like a special plastic piece has been added to hold the coil in a more secure angle. Nice. The shipping box is HEAVY DUTY. A handle was found inside to turn the box into a travel case. Nice. Note: I am not a professional tester and do not get paid for this or any other comments. More to come....... TTC

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006

Hi there TC, Look forward to your comparisions & thank you in advance for doing this for all our benefits. I too have looked over many posts regarding the two detectors. You must know the Gold Stinger very well to speak so highly of it in todays choices of detectors.

Good luck & happy hunting

Regards

JW :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Zior

Sep 19, 2010

G'day Terry

Mike from Australia, registered here today to search for exactly this topic! Thanks for the effort, any updates? Keen to hear your finds

Cheers

highdesertranger

Sep 23, 2008
so kalifornia
Detector(s) used
gmt, falcon md20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

hey terry, i too am learning the gmt i would love to hear about any little tricks you uncover. one thing i found that the little plastic piece that kellyco supplies to hold the coil in position is a pain in the you know what. when prospecting i have found that you want your coil to be able to be adjusted quickly. for example you are detecting a creek bed and want to move up the side of the creek and the terrain goes strait up with that piece on your coil you have to stop readjust then go on. i found it much easier to leave the plastic bolt not so tight then you can just lightly push the coil against any surface to get the proper angle. also ounce you find a target you can set the detector down and flip the coil over to check your dig with the old split the soil in half in your hand or scoop and run it past the coil. like i said i am no professional but this is what i found though trail and error. highdesertranger

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

"High"desert and "Hi" Zior. The raw footage for my video is done....yes. Now I have to edit out the "goofs" I made. I have not put the small "angle" plastic on either. For the same reason as you explained. The GMT is a great machine, but Whites (I believe) shot themselves in the foot on this one. On page 17 of the included manual they say go to manual ground balancing for the "ultimate control" for the tiniest flakes. Now I've gotten nuggets up to 1.5 grams out of a sluice and some flakes but larger pieces are rare indeed! Since flakes and pickers will probably grace my pan more often than nuggets, I must go for the manual balance idea and find the flakes. The GB2 and GMT will both detect a PIECE of staple but the weak signal will probably get lost in the ground chatter expected in highly mineralized ground. Now, except for the time I have on my Scorpion, I am not all that versed in electronic prospecting. The GMT and GB2 are both amazing me with what I must learn! I have about 10 hours total on both machines and I am nowhere near ready to "hit the creek" with them. Iron trash, yeah, I'm digging my share of BB's. But, if I was in a park, it would be pulltabs. I've picked up two horse shoes and a (burro?) shoe. Them's not trash to ME! I'll keep ya posted. TNX TTC

Attachments

• IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,911

Zior

Sep 19, 2010

Great stuff Terry

I'm moving house atm, will be looking for one of these 2 detectors in about 3 or so months. Looking forward to your future reports

Take care

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

YOU SAID,....The GB2 and GMT will both detect a PIECE of staple but the weak signal will probably get lost in the ground chatter expected in highly mineralized ground. :laughing7:

Don't bet on it. .........As you learn each machine you will tweek the manual settings better and better. I have found gold so small you would get disgusted trying to separate it in a scoop full of material. :laughing7:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

frank said:
YOU SAID,....The GB2 and GMT will both detect a PIECE of staple but the weak signal will probably get lost in the ground chatter expected in highly mineralized ground. :laughing7:

Don't bet on it. .........As you learn each machine you will tweek the manual settings better and better. I have found gold so small you would get disgusted trying to separate it in a scoop full of material. :laughing7:
WOO HOO!! Thanks Frank. That's the kind of shot in the arm I need. Very encouraging. Question: Will the GMT balance need to be re-done when dunking in the creek? My PI machine "goes quiet" when submersed in salt and needs to be re-set, even if just the coil hits the wet sand. How about the GMT in a shallow creek? Tnx TTC

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOO HOO!! Thanks Frank. That's the kind of shot in the arm I need. Very encouraging. Question: Will the GMT balance need to be re-done when dunking in the creek? My PI machine "goes quiet" when submersed in salt and needs to be re-set, even if just the coil hits the wet sand. How about the GMT in a shallow creek? Tnx TTC

I have never had the oppertunity to use the GMT around water. You had better check with the manufacturer and find out about that before you dunk the coil to be safe.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Frank,
I have no doubt the coil is waterproof. I will soon find out if the Ground balance or threshold is affected by the wet environment. Tnx. TTC

Captain Fred

Greenie
Oct 26, 2010
Henderson, KY
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport, White's MXT, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Garrett Grand Master Hunter, Garrett Ace 250

Terry, Any more discovery on the gold machines????

Fred

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Captain Fred said:
Terry, Any more discovery on the gold machines????

Fred
Hi Cap'n. No resonable "finds" yet, except some clad while "training" and recording the results. Tomorrow morning I start out for the big "Bunk" roundup in AZ (Gold Basin) this weekend. I will give it my best to be able to report a good find. I will then hit Stanton, AZ and from there, Duisenburg, CA., both LDMA patented claims. Then back home in about two weeks. I've found tiny nuggets and flour at Stanton before so I don't think I'll get skunked. I'll post the results. Tnx. TTC

joedog

Jun 21, 2010
Jackson, California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

Hello, its been awhile, how are things going with the comparison. I am looking at the gold bug. didn't your profile read Murphys CA.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

joedog said:
Hello, its been awhile, how are things going with the comparison. I am looking at the gold bug. didn't your profile read Murphys CA.
Yes, joedog, my profile DID say Murphys, CA! It's refreshing to find some are paying attention to detail! But I am now on the road in my RV. My shakedown druise. Busy. Came up from Quartzsite to get my dog and buy a trailer. The comparison period is over. I have chosen the GB2 as my gold getter. I gave the other to my brother, TimC, another Tnetter. My choice, of course, has absolutely no bearing on the abilities of both machines. BOTH are killer machines for recovering the tiniest of gold nuggets. I have yet to find my first nuggy with my machine. All my testing has been with nuggies already in the poke. So, now go out there and pick your machine. Start moving dirt and find that gold! TTC

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Terry,
Good to hear you are out and about! Have fun on your journey and I hope the GB2 treats you well, even really well!!

I had a job interview Tuesday of this week and it went well at least as far as I'm concerned. Will something come of it? I've a large handyman job going on right now but it should be complete by next week. The weather has been so beautiful that I've been thinking about heading into the mountains to do some research work mostly with the detector, GPS unit, Map, hand saw and the like. We will see what time and mother nature deals each of us.

63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread