Pocket hunting...Anyone know of articles of books

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Yes, as a matter of fact I have several.... unfortunately I'm not at home right now.... get back to ya in a bit! :)

OP
OP
F

FrankMD

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2006
Thanks Jeffro. Thanks Ilook forward to your info. By the way, I just moved from Eugene Oregon to Maryland. I lived out there for 15 years.

Frank

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
"The Elusive Pocket Gold of South Western Oregon" by Tom (T.H.) Bohmker
Cascade Mountains Gold
PO Box 242
Independence, OR 97351
(503) 606-9895

Tom is an interesting fellow, very passionate about gold mining and pocket hunting. While much of this book describes SW Oregon mines and pockets, the information he has packed in here on searching techniques is quite valuable. If anyone deserves to hit "the big one", its Tom.

"How to prospect for Pocket Gold" by Verne H. Ballantyne
Mountain Publications
PO Box 8008, suite 252
Glouchester, MA 01931

A very small book dealing directly with pocket hunting and nothing else, the information presented is simple and easy to read, yet precise.

"Getting Gold: A Gold Mining Handbook for Practical Men"
By J.C.F. Johnson, F.G.S.
London: Charles Griffin and Co., LTD.
Exeter Street, Strand, 1905

This is the fourth edition, and out of print. Hard to find, but worth it if you can lay your hands on one. Outcroppings, lodes and reefs are discussed at great length.

"Handbook for Prospectors and Operators of Small Mines" by M.W. von Bernewitz
McGraw Hill Book company, New York and London, 1943

Out of print as well, but great info if you can find one.

Good luck out there!

BTW, where were you at here in Eugene? I was raised out in Santa Clara, been here quite a while. Ever join up with the Bohemia folks?

OP
OP
F

FrankMD

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2006
Hi Jeffro. Thanks for the info on the books, that's great.

I lived out near the Baily Hill market on the west side of Eugene. I never did join up with the Bohemia folks but I am a life member of the GPAA. I did some prospecting around Gold Hill and some paning in a few places. Never did too well. i've actually found more gold in Virginia so I'm looking forward to doing some more prospecting back here. Have a great day.

Frank

AZNuggethunter

Greenie
Mar 8, 2004
Prescott Arizona
Detector(s) used
Lots of Minelab's
I agree with Jeffro about Tom. It is his time.
I wished he would have left out Oregon in the title. Tom did a great job on sharing his insight and great knowledge in his book that is good across the globe and not just in Oregon.

"The Elusive Pocket Gold of South Western Oregon" by Tom (T.H.) Bohmker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions