Beach detector

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Upvote 0

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
You need a detector that has a salt mode or that has a ground balance that will handle the salt. (I assume you mean a salt water beach?). Joe

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
read and heard that the white's TDI works very well but they run around $1,500.
take care. ron

OP
OP
D

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Yes, I am talking about salt and I've been all over the board with the settings. There is so much background noise I can't hear a thing. If I get the noise calmed down I lose any sensitivity. It's not so bad in the dry sand but it really goes south in wet sand. I'm still learning the detector but haven't had this problem out looking for gold although I haven't found any yet. Lots of birdshot and everything else. Sorry about being sort of ignorant but we don't have any detector shops near and I'm still learning. Talked to the prospecting shop in Sweethome Oregon at a gold show and they said it is a problem for the GB2 and they recommended a Whites MXT for that type of hunting, but don't get rid of the GB2 as that's what he uses for gold even though he's a Whites dealer. The reason I was looking at another detector is that it would be nice to have some discrimination for coins, rings etc. in areas where I'm not looking for gold. Thanks again, Doug.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Doug Watson,

My guess is that you are not setting the detector up correctly. You said something about still learning. The GBII is a versatile machine. Have you tried the "high mineralization" mode? It should work quite well at the salt beach. Joe

OP
OP
D

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Yes, I've tried all 3 mineralization modes, been all over with the sensitivity, all over with the ground reject, and iron disc settings. I've had the detector for quite a few years and am still learning but I've spent quite a bit of time prospecting with it and don't have any problem ground balancing it or setting it up except at the beach where I can't get the background noise down without losing so much sensitivity that I can't pick up anything. We do have alot of iron staining on our beach so maybe thats the problem. Doug.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Doug,

O.K., sounds like it isn't you. I have heard that up in your neck of the woods some of the beaches are just not huntable due to the extremely high mineralization. If you have a local MD club or individuals in the area ask them. Nothing better than local knowledge. Joe

OP
OP
D

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Thanks, I guess I'll try before I buy if I get a different detector. Don't know of any clubs in my area. The bad part is I know of at least 3 rings lost in a very small area. Well, I'll think on this one some more and thanks again. Doug.

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
If your present detector doesn't work out you might want to try a Minelab Sovereign
a lot of my friends who beach hunt here on the west coast say they are the best .I don't beach hunt a lot so when I do I use my White's M6 , works for me .

OP
OP
D

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Thanks. I've been thinking about a detector with disc. for other than gold hunting and seeing that the beach is 15 min. from my house I don't want to end up with one not suitable for hunting it. The problem is that I really want to buy from a local dealer but the closest one is about 4 or 5 hours away. I'll have to tink this one over for a while. I was thinking about a Whites MXT but I'm not sure now. I'll look and listen some more. Doug.

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
4-H here on Tnet has proven to be strait as an arrow for me. It may not be a 'local' guy to where you live, but its a local guy to where you hang out :D

-Lance

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need a PI (pulse induction) machine for salt beaches. I have an old IMPULSE 8 (out of print) and a Garrett Sea Hunter. The Fischer Impulse 8 has paid for itself about 3 times over. PI's cost a bit more than VLF machines but are just what you need. TTC

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy: Garrett Infinium pulse works in/out of the water and the tide line is where the REAL goodies lie-BUY AMERICAN-the job ya save may be your own OR Tesoro makes 2 great beach machines-1 vlf and 1 pulse and beleagered Arizona could use the biz at Tesoro-John

OP
OP
D

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
I agree completely about buying american. Will look at the PI machines. Thanks again, Doug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions