All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq,with vaquero as a decent unit but NOT quite up to TLST. GB2 is a great unit but NO disc will definately drive ya up the wall,any additional ability is advantageous-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks John. As for the GB, i meant the original Gold Bug not the GBII. The GB II Is to specialized.

I guess what i was looking at was the GBSE, Special Edition. That one has a ground balance, threshold, and disc. and operates at 19 Khz.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rebel,
I have recently bought both the GB2 and an GMT. The GB2 (and Scorpion) is too specialized for all around searching. And like stated above, no discrimination. I have found the GB2 is SENSITIVE. Take an ordinary staple, cut it in half, throw it on the floor, and now find it. The GB2 will! The piece of staple weighs about .01 to .02 gram. Small! If you are going for gold, as in flakes or lode, buy the GB2. Coinshooting, a more general machine is better suited. TTC

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry. I am considering the Garrett Scorpion, Tesoro Vaquero, Gold Bug SE, and an older Whites GM/4b. Would you happen to know anything about that one?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rebel73153 said:
Thanks Terry. I am considering the Garrett Scorpion, Tesoro Vaquero, Gold Bug SE, and an older Whites GM/4b. Would you happen to know anything about that one?
Rebel, The GMT is the first Whites I've owned.... and only about 2 months now. I could not comment on the GM/4. There are several on the net that will certainly help you there. Maybe you can get Kuger to expound on the MXT. There are several makes that will be comperable, in that price range. The Scorpion? No disc.... well that's not exactly true.... but to keep away from most trash while coinshooting is to use a coin to "set" the disc at about 8.5. Don't dig any "half" signals... only the BAM BAM signals. Use the motion disc or TR. Don't use the all-metal-mode. And that's only for starters. I won't go into why I like the machines I have (some are "out of print") because my two typing fingers would be blistered before I finished! Suggestion: check with the advertisers on this net then go with the md that BEST fills the LIST of functions (you will make) to fill your needs. Did I help? TTC

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the GM/4 and love it! It really don't have a DISC. either but it does have a iron id. feature which if the soil your hunting isn't real minearlized is pretty accurate. It has been 97% accurate with me.
I've found tiny flood gold with it on the surface, to an inch down, really small stuff! If you were to take it to a tot lot and detect you'd probably find it to sensitive and give up. Any little foil from gum wrappers, foil, just general trash will give a good signal no iron grunt which then you'd think was a good target to dig only to end up with trash. If you end up getting one I can tell ya how to set it up and just little tips to get ya started.
HH

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not used any of the Garret or Tesoro machines,but can tell you the M.X.T. actually has three different modes Coin/jewelry&Gold,all of which work very well.I am a relic hunter,so I hunt with no desrimination and have found very small gold with it.I would honestly put it up there with my GMT,or the GB2 for gold if you know how to use it.
It also has a saltwater mode....but I have never beach hunted nor probably will.If nothing else I would look into them :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all of you. I have been rethinking this and i may just go with a specialized unit for just gold instead of trying to get one to do it all. I just tried my Sidewinder with a small match head sized nugget and it will give a tone if it is within an inch or so of the coil. But it won't pick up a smaller sized picker piece. So unless the Vaquero is a lot better i guess i need a special Gold only unit for sniping. Thanks again for the tips and info.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air tests prove absolutely nuttn'---put that nugget in hot ground a couple a inches deep and then see what happens. A detectors ability to GB through earth is the ONLY true test of whatzup with performance. Hence the nugget detectors absolute specialization in it's GB capabilities-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser John said:
Air tests prove absolutely nuttn'---put that nugget in hot ground a couple a inches deep and then see what happens. A detectors ability to GB through earth is the ONLY true test of whatzup with performance. Hence the nugget detectors absolute specialization in it's GB capabilities-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Yes,exactly!!

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, i took that same match head sized nugget and put it in the bottom of a plastic gold pan and covered it with some sand with some black sand in it and small rocks. With the 8" coil i couldn't get close enough down in the pan to pick it up but with the 4" coil i was able to pick it up from about an inch and a half. So i guess in a pinch it will work but i still want a better gold machine. Trying to decide between the Gold Bug SE/Pro, the Garrett Scorpion, or Tesoro Vaquero or Lobo as a dual purpose machine. Which one you think?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO on any Fisher products now-toooooooooooo much changes,models and hassles. Garrett antique TR?VLF now way hose, Lobo or Vaquero as used but not abused EVERYWHERE as in looksee at Craigslist and various forums-John :icon_sunny:

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
You may have already made a decision, but seriously consider the Whites MXT. It is made exactly for what you want.
(yes, I own one)
The Cat

Dave45

Dec 31, 2004
The Lone Star State
One thing Iv learned about detectors, get the one you want and learn it, watch ebay tnet and get the one you want.
Iv had the high end machines and find I like the detectors without the vdi I dig more instead of looking at the screen. Right now I run the sovereign elite with the 15 in. wot for cashe hunting it will get a coffee can at 2 ft. or a mason jar about 16 in, for gold nuggets and the beach I use the military mine detector the F1A4.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Wildcat said:
You may have already made a decision, but seriously consider the Whites MXT. It is made exactly for what you want.
(yes, I own one)
The Cat

I agree and it will find small gold deeper than a GMT or GB because of the lower freq. A gold machine must have a variable SAT. The MXT has this feature plus a HyperSAT feature for very bad ground conditions where gold is usually found. Plus, you have 2 other modes besides a prospecting mode.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 309

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread