All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scorpion is a outdated TR machine with lousy GD capabilities in comparison to GB1 & GB2 BUT the new 3 is such a convaluted mess with so many changes you'll find it next to impossible to compare as at least 3-4 configurations in such a short time a mess is on the way. New owners playing insane games,great thread in here on the trials and tribulations,make that take your cash and bait and switch,and switch and swith yet again and again-UGLY- >:( John

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
For better depth for small gold get a MXT

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys but they don't really answer my question. Will either of them find small gold at any depth at all? Being out-dated don't matter to me as long as it work. Heck, i am out-dated too. :D

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
With the proper coil the GBII, Tesoro Lobo ST and the GMT will all find the size gold you are looking for if their is not too much mineralization.The MXt is also a good gold detector with the eliptical coil. The Scorpion in a relic and probably wouldnt work well for you. All detectors with manual GB, balance pretty much the same way. The "New Gold Bug" may be ok if you can figure out the one you want.(SE, SE Pro, GB Pro, GBIII, new GB.)

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, they got that many models of the Gold Bug out? I have the Eldorado coming but was told it won't work well enough even though it does have a ground balance adjustment. I guess because it only operates at 10Khz. But i would think there would be that much difference between it's 10 and the GB's 19. Or is it something else that makes the others better?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rebel, I have owned the Scorpion many years. I also own the GB2 (see my video?) The GB2 will pick up a gold speck the size of a # 7 1/2 lead shot at 2". Scorpion don't even peep.... not a wimper. I would, from personal experience (recorded) recommend the GB2. On the video you will see the balance routine is VERY easy. Once balanced, if you have a warbly threshold (really low volume), back off on the gain till the threshold smooths out. TTC

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry. I am leaning more and more towards the Gold Bug. Now i just need to sell the Eldorado and then find a GB. :D

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rebel73153 said:
Thanks Terry. I am leaning more and more towards the Gold Bug. Now i just need to sell the Eldorado and then find a GB. :D
Rebel, Just to clarify, I am talking about the GB2. Not Pro or SE or (simply) GB. GB2 is sensitive enough to pick up the salts and minerals IN YOUR HAND! It is powerful. Gl TTC

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry for the update. I did know you meant the GB2. I don't think i want one that sensitive just want one that will find gold the size of bird shot, not each and every speck of flour gold. One like that would be beeping all the time where we go. The ground is loaded with flour gold.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rebel, The flour gold will not set the GB2 off.... unless in collectable pockets. But the ultimate choice is yours alone. The GB2 is recommended by popular gold authors such as Chris Ralph and Jim Straight. If there ever was a detector that was TOO powerful, none others would sell! Gl on your choice. TTC

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info and advice Terry. Gives me something else to think about. Take care and good hunting.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold bug pro will hit on it !had to wait since april for mine ,not to mention raise a little h3ll .but i am glad i did wait - so far i believe it will be worth the wait . it does hit on some very small stuff in all metal . in disc. mode you do lose sensitivity [as do all detectors] but i hit on a nugget in trash - square nails ,black sand and hunks of rust . this was a test in the yard -but i wanted to know if it could do it . the test nugget was a couple of inches deep ,and it was small . i was trying to get used to it . i haven't got to use it in the field yet . hopefully soon ......

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Strickman, that was what i was hoping to hear about the GB. I hear a Lot more good about them than the Scorpion.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish i could tell you how it does in the field ,honestly I can't ..... I have been working out of town and have not got to try it out yet .......... I will as soon as these honey do's go away !!!!!!!! that's why I have been testing it out the best way I can .... honestly I was very P!$$3d about the whole deal about the gold bug /se/pro deal . but this was my only chance to get a dedicated gold machine that I could afford .... so I waited , and waited ,and waited ... I was upset and very hard to convince [trust me ] but in my honest opinion , I do believe it was worth the wait .did I think that out loud ? :icon_scratch: I do believe it will work well for what I bought it for . It will hit on small gold , and I have tried a friends gold bug 2 it will hit small gold as well , but the pro has a good ground grab feature that works well and I do like that ! I did use his , bear in mind it was a good machine as many others can testify to that ..... I think I got the biggest bang for the buck ,and think it could pay for itself in short order .At the right place - it could be impressive .....

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Gold Bug SE vs Scorpion/Strickman

Yea, i keep hearing a lot of good things about them. I see where a few places still have them listed for $499. Just wish i had that much right now to spend on one. I have my Tesoro Eldorado up for sale now so i hope to sell it soon and have at least part of the money for one. I have heard they are really easy to set up and go to hunting compared to some of the others which is a plus.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
I think the gold Bug 3 is a good nugget hunter for the money, but in my limited testing it doesn't seem to be as sensitive as the GBII on very small gold. The GB 3 is more versatile and the ground bal is easy to use,. It is light wt. and well balanced. Also cost less than the GBII.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you buy one make SURE it is the gold bug pro !!!!! many are selling the s. e. as the pro ! the pro will say pro on the face plate ........price has went up ....

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there have been modifications to the s.e. ,each time they have upgraded there was a name change .pro has better ground balance [ground grab] ,supposed to better as far as hot rocks etc... several others as well . just as the s.e. is better than the cabelas version .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions