Looking to buy first detector

Old and Slow

Greenie
Sep 30, 2010
I posted a question over in the "Head to Head Comparisons" forum about frequencies. I'm looking for an all around detector. I realize that there is probably no one detector that does everthing well but I would like to have the most versatile one for my first machine. I will be doing coin and jewelry hunting and since I live near the Mother Lode in California I will be doing some nugget shooting.

At this point I'm looking at three detectors: White's DFX 300, White's MXT Pro and the Minelab X-Terra 705. The MXT is recommended for prospecting but not the DFX. I'm wondering why. The MXT's frequency is 15kHz. The DFX has two frequencies with the highest one being 15kHz. The DFX has a prospecting (all metal) mode so why wouldn't it be as good as the MXT for nugget shooting?

What do y'all think?

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New models in EVERYTHING SUCK--look at the bait and switch 3-4 times by the new owners of Fisher utilizing the customers as stooges-HUGE POST ON THIS FORUM --many months innumerable models. Close the wallet and back off. OLD Fisher great but new has proved absolutely NOTHING to the consumer but hassles,bs,and your cash is your own but err on the side a caution on ANY unproven product and I am NOT a dealer trying to sell ya a unit either-retired with 50+ years a detecting and sales--John

John Tanner

Sep 30, 2010
Hi Hoser,

I tend to agree that the release of the new unit was a fiasco. I followed that thread with interest because I was very interested in the evolution of the Gold Bug. I had the David Johnson designed original Bug and the DJ designed GB2 and both were excellent so I couldnā€™t wait for the new DJ designed Gold Bugs which incorporates decades of technological advancements. I am glad I did because I believe the GBSE is one of the finest prospecting units ever made and I have personally used most of them.

I find it funny when you and others say the old Fisher was ā€œgreatā€ this was a company that went bankrupt because they couldnā€™t make a detector anyone was willing to buy and were inept in sales and marketing of the units that did work-I donā€™t think thatā€™s a ā€œgreatā€ company but should be classified as a horrible one-but then I majored in business when I went to school so what do I know. They offered lifetime warranties when they knew the ship was sinking which is deceitful because they knew their ā€˜lifetimeā€™ was probably only good for the 5 -10 years before they went under and even sold LT warranties when they knew they were shutting the doors then left everyone hanging with virtually worthless ā€˜lifetimeā€™ warranties - I call a company that does that ā€˜scam artistsā€™ not a ā€œgreatā€ company. Good thing someone stepped up and took care of those customers-I respect the new Fisher for caring about the name and legacy of Fisher Research Labs when the ā€˜greatā€™ old Fisher really could care less. The fact that they honored the LT warranties and my CZ21 warranty might make me more loyal to them then I should be but I am grateful.

But I digressā€¦..The new Goldbugs may have had their share of problems over the past year-they still easily out-feature, out price and outperform the competition-they donā€™t outweigh them as they are easily the lightest around and thatā€™s good for my sore old armā€¦ā€¦.. Get back to us after you actually use one because if you still think its not a good unit somethingā€™s gotta be wrong.

JT

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John T,

I agree that FT did the right thing in honoring the LT warranties, but I believe that was required of them, isn't that what is done when you take over an established company, legally if you buy and use an existing name you buy and honor the warranties.

I'm sure you noticed that they don't have a LT warranty on their products now, but that is the same with most all detector companies, with the exception of Tesoro, if FT wanted to be TOPS in this field in the eyes of consumers I would think they would've kept the LT warranties after they took over.

I own Fisher metal detectors, and love them, with how the New Gold Bug introduction was handled really gets to me, why release a detector before it was ready, I think they shot themselves in the foot with how they released this new model, it was the talk of the metal detecting community when first announced, now I know of many that have a sour taste in their mouths when you mention Fisher because they were some of the first to buy the new Gold Bug and now they don't have the latest and greatest from Fisher.

I may change my mind, we'll see what the future holds as how FT proceeds after this, and if they have learned that they can't use the consumer for a guinea pig, everybody/companies makes some mistakes but most come out and tell you up front that a mistake was made, if they would've been up front with the progression of how the new GB was being released or stepped up and explained the issues and maybe offer an upgrade to the latest Gold Bug this would be a mute point.

Skip

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's why I was upset , I just wanted what was promised -not a lesser model . In the end ,I waited for the pro .I got the pro . I did have to wait [since april ] but now it's over -I am glad I waited for the pro . So far it seems to be a good machine . And would recommend it to anyone . Just make sure you get the model you want . And for what it's worth , Kellyco did their best to get me my detector as soon as it was released ,their hands were tied - but they did do well in the end . I would purchase from them again as well .

John Tanner

Sep 30, 2010
I agree with most Skip,
Honoring the warranties was certainly not required-but the right thing to do if you want to maintain a credible name which is really what FTP was buying. The LT warranty offering around 1999 was pretty much just a band aid for a company that was bleeding to death. FTP did not have to honor any warranties when buying a company if that were the case they would have to honor all the old Tek LT warranties that were voided when they went under many years ago.
A LT warranty might work for a small family owned company like Tesoro but would be disastrous for a company wanting to continue to compete for significant market share AND develop new products going forward and I think Tesoro is an example of this with no new products=they simply live on the LT warranty which probably sucks up much of their potential working capital for R and D.

I have compared my Gold Bug SE to a dealers new ā€˜Proā€™ version and it is identical in everyway-when I asked Fisher about it they agreed that they were the same and the differences were ā€˜minimalā€™. They said the SE was just an introductory price for a limited time to get them into users hands because they knew it would be a great detector. If new revisions needed to be made then or in the future they would continue to do them like on the T2 but nothing would be earth shattering. They also said the Cabelas unit was different but still a great unit for the price and was never offered to the dealer market. I am more than happy with mine for the price even if I paid the current $699

JT

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why are you just limit yourself to those three? Garrett have excellant machine and also Tesoro butttttttt the machine is only as good as the one operating it. i have used the Tesoro lobo its not only good at nugget hunting but also good at coin hunting and good depth for relic hunting i am waiting for my Scorpion to come in and do testing on it . garrett also has the At pro comming out that can be used underwater and on dry land with excellant depth price on it around 700.00 lower

OP
OP
O

Old and Slow

Greenie
Sep 30, 2010
Thanks for all the input guys.

I bought an MXT Pro a couple of weeks ago. I'm learning hoe to use it. So far I'm very happy with it.

John Tanner

Sep 30, 2010
Good luck you have a good detector in the MXT and they are a great company to deal with-It wouldnt be my first choice but it would be in the top 4 for me....

JT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread