Looking to buy first detector

Old and Slow

Greenie
Sep 30, 2010
I posted a question over in the "Head to Head Comparisons" forum about frequencies. I'm looking for an all around detector. I realize that there is probably no one detector that does everthing well but I would like to have the most versatile one for my first machine. I will be doing coin and jewelry hunting and since I live near the Mother Lode in California I will be doing some nugget shooting.

At this point I'm looking at three detectors: White's DFX 300, White's MXT Pro and the Minelab X-Terra 705. The MXT is recommended for prospecting but not the DFX. I'm wondering why. The MXT's frequency is 15kHz. The DFX has two frequencies with the highest one being 15kHz. The DFX has a prospecting (all metal) mode so why wouldn't it be as good as the MXT for nugget shooting?

What do y'all think?

Upvote 0

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three detectors in one, that's what the MXT is advertised as being and I'm pretty sure it runs on different frequencies too. Click on the Whites logo above and read up the specifications. I hear lots of good things about them, and have got one pretty high up on my wish list. The new model has ground grab and sunlight readable lcd screen as well. There's so much information and opinion on this site. Scan through the threads and read up all the ones that mention detectors you are interested in. Good luck with whichever one you choose. Nuggy

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SLOW DOWN-CLOSE THE WALLET--your first?? Buy used but not abused and learn to coin shoot--your shooting for the moon when ya don't even know how to walk in the detector field. Nugget shooting kills of at least 90% of the folks who try as the most expensive,hardest,most dangerous form of detecting there is----John educate and prosper for the first 1,000 hours a back breaking labor :read2:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser John said:
SLOW DOWN-CLOSE THE WALLET--your first?? Buy used but not abused and learn to coin shoot--your shooting for the moon when ya don't even know how to walk in the detector field. Nugget shooting kills of at least 90% of the folks who try as the most expensive,hardest,most dangerous form of detecting there is----John educate and prosper for the first 1,000 hours a back breaking labor :read2:

x2!!!!!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Old & Slow and Welcome to the Forum!

What has been Mildly Suggested by Hoser John & seconded by Kuger has some merit to it. Coin "shooting" & Nugget hunting have learning curves that are different and unique from one another but in either case one must also understand the machine being used and therefore I'm a bit unsettled about buying a used machine, learning how to use it and then possibly purchasing a New up to date detector and needing to relearn how to use the new machine. Not waisting money is a good thing and if a used machine suits your needs then it may be the way to go. I believe it is human nature to want the newest/ latest/best machine on the market, that's how I've purchased most of mine but my first one was a used Whites 6000D coinmaster that I paid $225 for in 1976 and it was well worth the money. It is also the machine I've gotten the most out of in the way of learning and coins/jewelry found. Metal detecting requires many hours of ones time first to learn the how too's and do not's and then to find and remove good targets. For myself I must admit that they have been some of the most pleasant hours I've ever spent away from the stress of daily life.

I've been prospecting for several years in NorCal out of Sacramento. I tried the 6000D in the mountains but as it is a coin machine I found only a few coins, some square nails and foil. I now have a Whites GMT and earlier this year I used it to locate my first gold nuggets. It is not a coin machine as it locates ALL metals. It operates differently from my XLT coin machine and I've still have not mastered either machine. That's about $1400 wrapped up in the two modern machines that right now I have little time to work with. Oh, and it helps the hobby/sport a LOT if one is healthy and in good to very good physical condition. Is there a metal detecting club near you? If so, go there before purchasing any machine and talk with the members, being near the gold country they will have lots of "thoughts" about what is good or not.

I've never used a Minelab. I have three Whites machines and one Fisher, the Gold Bug I. When the XLT needed the handle re-rivited to the box Whites went above and beyond the call of duty to take care of my needs, no charge except what I paid to ship it to them. You might want to look at older posts/responses to get a feel for other brands/models and how well the user has done with the product. Also, if you have the time you might even visit Jimmy Sierras store and talk with him/them.

I've talked with several MXT owners and they have found coins as well as gold nuggets with their machines. The search frequencies for coins and nuggets are usually different and there is a reason for that so an all around machine might not truly exist. From my experience the gold I've found is smaller so a machine that is truly a gold machine is better for that purpose. I've given you my 30 cents worth of confusion, I only hope you find something useful in what I've shared. Find a club, talk with the members, all of us are biased towards the machines we own and the Best of Luck with your decision, purchase and the construction of your Test Garden and all that practice.

63bkpkr

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well said '63 :thumbsup:
I will say the MXT is the easiest pick up and go machine there is IMHO.I have found gold coins and gold.It really likes very small brass rivets and shot.It has paid for it self many times over as well.My Dad is about as Techno illiterate as they come and he has found gold with the one I gave him.
The one downside for a gold machine is it doesnt have a manual ground balance.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab X-Terra 705 is a great machine, it operates on different frequencies (3KHz, 7.5 KHz, and 18.75 KHz) which is a good thing when going from coin/relics and then to nugget shooting, the drawback of this is that to obtain/change to a different frequency you have to change the coil, that means a having to purchase several different coils (at least 3 to get all frequencies), and also Minelabs coils aren't waterproof except for a few specialty coils, I not sure if there is a waterproof coil for the X-Terra.
In the past year or two Minelab USA repair service was not the best, but in the last month or so that has changed for the better as Minelab as finally "HEARD" that their customers were not very pleased here in the USA over the support/repair service that was lacking.
The X-Terra is not made in the USA.

The MXT Pro is also a great machine, it's design was based on the GoldMaster's circuitry, which is why it works well for nugget shooting, and why it is better than the DFX's circuitry at nugget shooting (not that the DFX will not find gold nuggets, but I would chose the MXT, because of it's better circuitry for gold), that being said the MXT only operates at 14KHz, which is not so good for the much smaller gold that GoldMaster will hit, but it will hit on gold a small as 7 to 10 grains (around 1/2 gram) sometimes smaller and growl on big nuggets, all of White's coils are waterproof, you will most likely chose to have several coils for the MXT for different hunting situations, the Spider coil that comes with the MXT Pro is a great coil for coins/relics as it will get the best depth and coverage, the Eclipse Shooter "DD" (4x6) Search Coil will get a little less depth but is indispensable for working in "hot" ground and trashy areas, with these two coils you will be set for the best of both worlds of metal detecting.
White's customer service and repair is second to none!!
The MXT Pro is made in the USA.

Skip

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's customer service and repair is second to none!!

AMEN!!!!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
O

Old and Slow

Greenie
Sep 30, 2010
Thanks everyone for your input. Special thanks to Skip for answering the specific question that I asked.

I also found Jimmy Sierra's website:

http://jimmysierra.com/

On his "ask Jimmy" page he also answers the question as follows:

DFX vs. MXT for prospecting

"As far as the frequency goes , the answer is yes. Both operate at 15 kHz in prospecting mode. However, the major difference is in the performance of the units based on their ground balancing characteristics. The MXT has the same aggressive ground balance system as is used on our GMT Goldmaster and cancels much faster and more thoroughly bad ground conditions usually present in gold bearing areas. So even with the same loops and frequencies, the edge has got to go to the MXT"

Thanks again Skip

BTW my name is also Skip

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said though,the auto ground balance on any machine can/will balance out some gold if you let it :thumbsup:

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been a White's customer since 1998....have bought three detectors, and still have two of them....If you go to White's website, request a free catalog, and they will not only send you their catalog, but a terrific coupon book (14 coupons) that have some great deals....You will be very interested in the "packaged" deals they have which includes the detector, pinpointer, etc...you need to negotiate the coupons at a White's dealer in your area....the coupons are good from October 1, 2010 to January 15, 2011...I am in Northern California too....I reside in Sacramento....the customer care and customer service from the home office at White's in Oregon is beyond reproach....really great people....and by the way, these coupon deals are unbelievable! You will not be wasting your time....there is a White's dealer in Auburn....Frank and Dennis are great guys, and I believe there is a White's dealer in the north side of Sacramento....since making an initial investment, and perhaps on a tight budget, this may just do the trick for you...I received the catalog really quick, and very timely....hope this helps....SushiDog

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As said Whites customer service is un rivaled. :thumbsup:

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
Hoser John said:

I second this. I prefer Minelab Sovereign GT. as a first machine, new is about $1000.00 used as high as $950.00 I have seen them as low as $450.00 with a couple of coils. IMHO look for one of these. :thumbsup:

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think at this point, getting information on customer service and customer care from several Metal Detector companies will be very helpful....so I hope many people will chime in with their experience....whenever I was going to buy a new vehicle, do you know what I did? I went to the parts department, sat there, and just watched what went on....just see how they treated their customers....that is how I chose a car dealership to purchase a vehicle from....although you can't go to every Metal Detector manufacturers home office, it gets back to what I have said previously....how are you going to be taken care of AFTER the sale? To me, this is the most important thing I think about before I make a purchase....I am sure there are other Metal Detector companies that have excellent customer service and customer care, but are they offering those killer prices on their merchandise right now like White's? Well, let others chime in, and the only other piece of advice is NOT to rush into anything! Do your research, and listen to people....that's your best measuring stick...I wish you well my friend, and I hope this advice from an 'Ol Dog helps...SushiDog

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you this,a detector was ran over by a vehicle and Whites replaced it(a higher end older detector....bought second hand)it for $100.....how many companies will do that?I could go on and on

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to post all 14 White's coupons in this Forum, but the moderator will probably want it moved to the White's MD Forum....I think it should be posted in both Forums, but I am not sure....If I get permission from the moderator, I will be glad to post all of the deal's (coupons) from White's....(Most of the people at the White's Forum already have a White's detector, and I want to help out people like the gentleman who made the original post that is just getting into the hobby, and making his first purchase)....SushiDog

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TESORO CUSTOMER SERVICE IS #1 FOR OVER 35 YEARS-everything forever is as pure and simple as it gets. Last year good ol' Rusty completely rebuilt a 1985 Golden Sabre FOR FREE-new coil,cables,connectors,tuning pots,wraps,foam insulators, battey door locks and threw in a handful of extra parts FOR FREE and shipping was free too all within a week. :notworthy: :notworthy: NON FINER and yet another great ARIZONA product--buy AMERICAN-the job you save may be your own---John

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! Buy American! White's Detectors are made in Oregon, California....I am glad to see a post of another brand of MD here....I think any manufacturer of any MD is really concerned with the customer service and customer care mindset or they would be out of business....I have always said, "Advertisement costs hundreds, even thousands of dollars, but publicity is free"....SushiDog

John Tanner

Sep 30, 2010
Whites customer service is second to none and their detectors are nice-

The new Fisher Gold Bug SE and Pro are superior units in almost every respect. I have personally compared them side by side and they easily win in these important facets;
Sensitivity to small nuggets
ease of use
performance in bad ground
features
price
warranty
ground information
weight and ergonomics
speed and target seperation

Also take into consideration the engineer David Johnson designed the Whites stuff many, many years ago and he just designed the new Bugs this year-the Whites are great but the new bugs are current advanced (by many years) technology---literally.......
David also designed the Tesoro Lobo and Diablo which are great gold units and the original gold bug and gold bug 2 which set the standard for VLF gold prospecting units. Go with the latest advancements in technology-would you buy or use a 10 year old cell phone because of good customer service when the newest technology has a warranty that is twice as long and you can access the internet and watch movies on the new ones? Dont let others brand loyalty convince you to make the wrong choice and invest in old technology.
not JMHO
JT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread