The New Fisher Gold Bug Pro? (Updated Received and Tested)

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can any of you folks tell me if they are any good?

Can't seem to find any sort of field tests for them. I know the Gold Bug 2 was decent.
I went and ordered a Gold Bug Pro for my daughter for X-Mas so she would have something to do while I am dredging.
I would have got her the LOBO ST but she doesn't like using mine, oh well, I think it may be the adjustments that she does't care for so much.

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Re: The New Fisher Gold Bug Pro?

GH--did a search, and the only ones I could find were on the Fisher site--someone else may have better luck.

All the best,

Lanny

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010

I think I understood Chris Gholson did a test with one and said it surprised him. He was doing the field test for an article, but I'm not sure what magazine or when the article will be out. I also talked to Oregon Prospecting in Sweethome and they said they were surprised with it too when they tested it. Sounds like it might be a good detector. Doug.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

so far mine seems to be a good machine . all I need to do is get to use it ! been busy lately working out of town . after the holidays I'll try to make up for it .

OP
OP
G

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Thanks Guys. I guess I will have to make my own Field report as I wasn't able to find anything also.
Lost Treasure Magazine will have a field report coming for the The Gold Bug Pro this spring. That might be the one you are referring to.

The new GBP will be here in a few days and might just have to put fresh batteries in it before wrapping it up for my Daughter.
And since I have it out of the box and batteries in it... might just salt some nuggets about and give it a test for myself. :laughing7:

patrukas777

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2010

Hi all, this is my first post. I haven't MD since I was a young teenager (now im 30), and I'm looking into getting back into gold prospecting. I've been reading a lot of the metal detecting forums, which brought me here. I'm considering the Fisher Gold Bug Pro...I want to primarily use it for hunting Gold. I live in Southern California and I'm wondering how this detector would work in the So Cal soil. Will the Gold Bug Pro also find larger nuggets? How does this MD compare to the Minelab X terra 705?? Any advice would help.

Thanks,

-Pete

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Pete, did you click on the link in the post above yours? They are still quite new, and thats the best info on the Gold Bug Pro I've been able to find so far, Strickman seems a knowledgeable, straight shooter type of guy. I'm sure he will have more to say on these after the holidays when he gets out more with it. I too am considering buying one :icon_sunny:. Nuggy

patrukas777

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2010

nuggy said:
Hi Pete, did you click on the link in the post above yours? They are still quite new, and thats the best info on the Gold Bug Pro I've been able to find so far, Strickman seems a knowledgeable, straight shooter type of guy. I'm sure he will have more to say on these after the holidays when he gets out more with it. I too am considering buying one :icon_sunny:. Nuggy

I too am looking forward to more info from Strickman. Just hope its soon, since there are great deals to be had. ;D

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Reliability and quality of build takes TIME and many 100's a hours of use. Like a marriage that sounds good at first but ends in divorce over 70% of the time-John :read2:

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

it will hit loud and proud on large gold as well ,then again a lot of detectors will hit larger stuff with no problem . mine screams on a 1ozer. small targets will be a whole lot more common than 1 oz nuggets . a pulse machine [minelab] will hit deeper IMHO ,but pro will hit smaller . I stand a lot better chance on small to medium targets than whoppers. and should i run accross a big'un it will hit it as well .

OP
OP
G

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Got the GBP yesterday and took it out for a test. WOW! I am IMPRESSED. WOW!
Here is my mini feild test of my own. :icon_thumright:
Super sensitive, unbelievably stable signals, great depth for a 5" coil, extremely light on the arm, user freindly adjustments and are all visible on LCD, very simple to use.
So far from what I have seen I would have to say for gold nuggets it will out detect the GB2 and the LOBO easily which I have been using for quite a while.
Will hit 1 grain pieces when gain and thresh are set up for the highest sensitivity, that would drive a man crazy digging those all day.
Tested a few nuggets as well, had to of course, one was a quarter ounce and another a two pennyweight and even baried under a heap of blacksand cons it will go deep.
Did't really test for relic and coin not what we use them for but I did happen find some coins in my yard, one of them was a penny at 8".
Might pick up the 11" DD coil for relic and coins, got a coupon to buy it for $75, don't know that it is really need for nugget shooting from what I seen the 5" is the way to go.
Sweet detector, might have to pickup one for myself or pry it out of my daughter's hands. She is going to love this gift for sure, definately the right choice.

Someone had PM'd me asking the TID for gold it and was 70 on those larger pieces but so is pull tabs and pop cans and who knows what other items. I found I liked to search in all metal mode, for it great sensitivity, with GG (ground balance) set and when I found a good target I switch it over to Disc. for pin pointing and digging.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
different gold will register different ,on the tdi display .diggum all. esp 50 -80 range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions