Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldfinder,
Thank you for the post, I've needed a digital scale and for 10.00 plus tax I think I will give this a whirl.

63bkpkr

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i also bought one of these for while out in the feild. these are cheap for sure but dont expect to use one of these for weighing gold that you want to sell or buy. these dont have a good repeatability and as for the accuracy, it is questionable for me! i wouldnt buy gold from someone that was using it! and not from most of these cheaper models that you see for sale either. i prbly have 5 or 6 scales and most of them i wouldnt use to weight anything that i need a accurate weight for.and its got to repeatable trys or its no good!but i do like these little scales for weighing my gold while out dredgeing for an APPROXIMATE weight for my own curiosity! you get what you pay for!

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That and gold is sold in Troy weight not metric, at least anywhere I sell to, unless you go to a jeweler and then your getting ripped off. Spot price is even in Troy.

Here is a scale I have been using for field for some time and it seems accurate enough when compared to certified brass.

http://www.americanweigh.com/produc...ucts_id=281&osCsid=t05f3fkqvcbc7ik2f8egqh2kj6

Here is a picture of my scale in action (2009 Dredging):

DSCF2355.jpg

OP
OP
G

goldfinder

Mar 31, 2003
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
russau said:
i also bought one of these for while out in the feild. these are cheap for sure but dont expect to use one of these for weighing gold that you want to sell or buy. these dont have a good repeatability and as for the accuracy, it is questionable for me! i wouldnt buy gold from someone that was using it! and not from most of these cheaper models that you see for sale either. i prbly have 5 or 6 scales and most of them i wouldnt use to weight anything that i need a accurate weight for.and its got to repeatable trys or its no good!but i do like these little scales for weighing my gold while out dredgeing for an APPROXIMATE weight for my own curiosity! you get what you pay for!

Mr. Russau,
I ran a calibration test on my HF $10 scale. I have a set of official Ohaus calibrated weights. The little cheapie HF scale was right on down to 0.1 gram. Plenty accurate for me. I'd stand by it on any nugget sale or test.
Goldfinder
PS maybe you should learn how to calibrate it. You can buy a nice 500 gram weight off eBay and calibrate your scale.

Darvin788

Dec 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a very good quality scale at lowest best price. You can also find some useful variety of Scale here at Prime Scales.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0.1= +-$5.50 gram ,so good for rough weights, BUT when in commerce at least 0.001 is the norm as =+-$ 0.05-John :occasion14:

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I picked this scale up at a yard sale recently, still in the box and new. Made by US Balance, about the size of a small smartphone. Perfect for in the field but would not sale my finds from it. For $2.00 it will find a home in the backpack.

scaley.jpg

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I got this one from Harbor freight about 2 years ago on sale for $9.95.. I think it runs abot 14.95 now..it is a..US-MAGNUM 1000XR. image_12008.jpg

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a little US Balance, US-Prospector with a 5 year warranty that weighs in grams, grains, carats, ounces, troy ounces, and dwt (pennyweights). It will weigh up to 150 grams, at 0.01 grams accuracy. Easy to pack with me in the field. You can find one in price from 20-30 bucks, depending on who you buy it from and if shipping is included or not.

All the best,

Lanny

robin jack

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also this type of portable scale in my personal use but, I don't know where I lost that, now I am trying to buy one more portable scale but in a cheep price. Round about 5$ to 7$ if any one have any scale in my deal price so tell me please thank you.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a triple-beam Adam and an O'Haus Cent-o-gram. Both are a little pricey but very accurate. Check out "oldwillknot" (goolgle them) for HUNDREDS of different scales for ANY purpose. All price ranges. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread