What to expect from landowners and detecting?

GOLDHUNTER2009

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2010
I am looking to start detecting in the upper South Carolina area where i work. Many, many, many old barns and im sure caches somewhere too. When asking a landowner to "comb" their property what are some instances/answers i may encounter when asking them? Do many landowners just say yes or no; or do they come back with stipulations. I've got several land owners im dying to ask that are sitting on early trade routes for the civil war etc. I'm going to ask soon but just don't want the answer to be "no" when i have the fever.

Upvote 0

XT18000

May 26, 2008
Best to be honest and up front with anyone you talk to right from the start. Limit your sales
pitch to as short a time as you can to find out if they are interested. People don't like people
wasting there time and in this day and time they don't trust people they don't know. This
makes it a hard row to hoe. Practice you speech first so you don't hem haw around trying
to tell them what you want to do and how you will do it. Don't cuss; smell like booze, or look
like you been sleeping under a bridge. After you knock on there door step well back and keep
your distance while talking if you get that far. Be SURE to get an agreement as to any split
of what you find and keep to it even if they don't. This is just a few ideas to get you started
in the right direction. And always remember the golden rule; He or She Who Holds The Gun
Makes The Rules !!!!!! ALWAYS

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be genuinely interested in the person you are going to speak to--let them know it and feel it from you. Be sincere and let them know that you care, that you won't destroy their property, you'll carefully fill any holes you dig, and that you'll show them anything and everything you find (unless they don't care, which is sometimes the case). As mentioned in the previous post, always, always get it clear what will happen in the case of any splits or what you're allowed to keep or not keep if you find it.

Generally, if you're sincere, and you care about the people and care for their property, it mostly works out.

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. Don't try to rush things. If people want to talk and tell you about their place, about their interests, ask questions about how your machine works, or chat about the weather, etc., let them talk!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: You must absolutely have a premade contract form for both your signatures indemnifying them from being liable, spelling out the cut % and terms covenents and conditions. Folks are righteously paranoid about being sued,booed and screwed nowadayz and this puts all at peace--and you get to PARTY ON :icon_thumright: John

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are off to a great start....you ar asking PERMISSION!!Please continue to do what is right :thumbsup:Expect the worst,you will get no's,but you will O.K's as well.Many times you can thank those that dont ask for the "NO's".Noting more frustrating than researching for months then getting told you cant put the coil to the dirt,but thats the way it goes :dontknow:

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man it does not matter if they say no or not you know they aren't going to find anything sitting in the house. Tell them anything you find you'll splitt it 40 / 60 ( for you ) see if that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread