Gold panning/nugget hunting in California or Arizona this summer. Need advice.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone. My family and I are going to Monterey Cali or anywhere in Arizona. this summer for a wedding. Anywhere even close to that is fine. I want to take my boys gold panning somewhere after the wedding. I have no idea how to do it and would like a touristy type place to go. Somewhere preferably that teaches you, is kid friendly and you can rent equipment. I think the boys would love it. Anyone suggest a place to go learn?

I plan on bringing a Teknetics G2 or Fisher Gold bug pro to use if I can.

Thanks for you responses! Love to hear any and all suggestions!

Upvote 0

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Gold panning/nugget hunting in California this summer. Need advice.

I have no experience with them but this outfit is in the heart of the Motherlode:
http://www.goldprospecting.com/

Looks like they might meet your expectations.

Good Luck-

OP
OP
Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That does look like a good one! Thanks! Anyone else with info??

scott565

Apr 20, 2009

Hi,
I was in Palm Desert at the end of January and did a bit of nugget hunting near 29 Palms and some sluicing in the San Gabriel River.
Detailed post here:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,376099.0.html

If you will be in the LA region and have time to get to a decent location, contact the Jeffrey's at American Prospector and Treasure Seeker store in Temecula(see my other post for their web site). They will be glad to assist you. In my case, they were right there with us - great people!

-Scott

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stoopstroop,

It will help for folks to give you ideas if they know what part of California you will be in.
The stae is about 800 miles long and there are a lot of prospecting areas.
Good luck, you and your boys should have a great time.

Mike

OP
OP
Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Monterey Cali, sorry.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, no, don't be sorry, I'm sure there are folks down that way to help.
I'm all the way at the other end of the state, right next to the Oregon border on the coast.
If you ever get up this way holler. Beautiful country and a lot of fun outdoor things to do, "for free".

Take care,
Mike
joescabinrental.com

OP
OP
Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry guys! Add Arizona to the mix. We might stop there instead I'd we found a good place. Driving thru there anyway!
Thanks for all the replies!

quartzhill

Jul 5, 2006
Turlock, CA, USA
I recommend Columbia, California (aka Columbia Historic State Park), 200 miles northeast from Monterrey California. It's preserved as a gold rush town. There's a real neat gold-panning vendor there with wooden troughs to pan in for about $10.00 each -I think. The fellow there gives a real good lesson, and caters to youngsters too. After the lesson, you can find your own spot along a local creek and strike it rich!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quartzhill said:
I recommend Columbia, California (aka Columbia Historic State Park), 200 miles northeast from Monterrey California. It's preserved as a gold rush town. There's a real neat gold-panning vendor there with wooden troughs to pan in for about $10.00 each -I think. The fellow there gives a real good lesson, and caters to youngsters too. After the lesson, you can find your own spot along a local creek and strike it rich!

Just know you cant just find a creek and go,good way to get an innoccent person in a bad situation :thumbsup:

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
if based in monterray,research ventana,etc.,old channel up there,au and major gems.in 99 was fighting the kirk complex fire,that area,nice area.sporadic reports of gem quality corundums.have fun.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
patches63 said:
if based in monterray,research ventana,etc.,old channel up there,au and major gems.in 99 was fighting the kirk complex fire,that area,nice area.sporadic reports of gem quality corundums.have fun.

Lots of "Green",farming going on down there,I would practice great precaution!!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stoopstroop said:
Hello everyone. My family and I are going to Monterey Cali or anywhere in Arizona. this summer for a wedding. Anywhere even close to that is fine. I want to take my boys gold panning somewhere after the wedding. I have no idea how to do it and would like a touristy type place to go. Somewhere preferably that teaches you, is kid friendly and you can rent equipment. I think the boys would love it. Anyone suggest a place to go learn?

I plan on bringing a Teknetics G2 or Fisher Gold bug pro to use if I can.

Thanks for you responses! Love to hear any and all suggestions!

We close for the season in very early June because of heat and rattlesnakes, but if you are in the area prior to that: http://www.ArizonaGoldAdventures.com Good luck! - Terry

Tom2hunt

Mar 22, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher Coinstrike, Fisher 1236-X2 and Gold Bug
Summer? Arizona?

Think

HOT
That is what I was thinking. I was there the first week in April about 4 years ago and that wasn't to bad. Highs in the lower to mid 80's and nights cool 60's. You need to be real careful stoopstroop. That summer heat is brutal.

OP
OP
Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank for all the advice guys! Watching gold fever on tv has got both my boys all excited. Me too!!! Lol

ArizonaGoldFever

Apr 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The Lynx Creek/Lynx Lake area of the Bradshaw Mountains might suit your needs. The Bradshaw Mountains are the most productive areas of the state. I would not bother going anywhere south of Phoenix. Too dangerous.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread