Any good spot to go panning in Ventura Cal???

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Texas,where we have lots of gold,I mean fire ants! :laughing7:

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
You may want to check out the California section.

Suggested reading are Eagledown's post.

Welcome to T-net.

OP
OP
G

gt40

Mar 16, 2011
NaturalJWL said:
You may want to check out the California section.

Suggested reading are Eagledown's post.

Welcome to T-net.

Cool thanks

smokeater

May 21, 2009
Started prospecting 30 years ago after seeing a guy panning on Piru creek above pyramid lake. He had good fines from panning. Look on the map for "gold creek road" in the Hungry Valley ORV area out of Gorman. DIG YOUR DIRT FROM AROUND THE BOULDERS AT WATER LEVEL. If it's hard to get material from around the boulders, thats the stuff to pan, stay away from the sandy, easy to dig stuff. There is alot of gold mining history in this area. The bedrock is cemented gravels that you can't dig, gold will collect on this false bedrock.
Again, dig around the boulders, there are fines and large flecks, I have found nuggets back in the day when it was open to dredging.

enjoy

1Beachnut

Greenie
Apr 3, 2011
You should check to see if there are any claims, on any of the area's you are considering. I know there is a Gold Prospectors Association of America (GPAA) claim in that area, (Piru creek), and unless you are a member, or become a member, it would be claim jumping to go ,look for gold on the claim. Joining a club, such as GPAA would be a great idea, as it would give you lots of area's (claims) to go and check out and it is fairly inexpensive for what you get. With the, like $65 membership kit you get the mining guide with all the GPAA claims to go to in it, there are 2+ GPAA claims within a 2.5 hour drive of Ventura, and many more within a 4-5 hour drive. In the starter kit you also get a good pan, snuffer bottle, and other stuff. It's a great way to start out, and stay legal. http://www.goldprospectors.org/
Don't expect to find much color in that pan though. Panning is great for "test panning" but you need to move more material than a pan can move to get any worth while amount of gold. Just bring a back hoe with you! :headbang:

Beachnut

B

Brookie

I have been going to the San Gabriel river looking for gold, its about an hour drive for me and it would be and hour and a half to go to Piru creek instead. I want to try above lake Pyramid and am planning on going soon! My friend lives like a half hour away so it would be great if he got the gold fever! I've only found about .4 in ten or more times at the San Gabriel. Im going for sure but it would be cool to be reassured I can actually dig a shovel for miles of the creek, like you totally should always be allowed to do. Well thanks for the advice Smokeater! Its what this site is for and Im very thankful for that. Hopefully I can find some so my friend will go with me again. I can't wait to go.

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
gt40 said:
Im new to the Site. Just getting started my youngest son is loving the Gold rush show And wants me to take him Panning.
Thanks for any help
Jim

Welcome. Call your local BLM get sum info and maps they will help guide you in the direction to go.

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
welcome to the net. Im not sure about your area im in bakersfield and there is gold all around here. i go to local parks and find good gold only downs side is all the deminstations you will give to all the people lol. good luck

B

Brookie

My cousin has a place at lake Isabella but my family is not that close. What do you mean when you say "parks"? Does that mean its legal if it is a park? Is it usually up mountains that you find gold? I assume you mean state parks but please specify. I look in the San Gabriel national forest and I know that its legal but I don't find much(still fun). How is the Kern, above or below Lake Isabella? Any better ideas closer to LA than the Kern? Thanks I appreciate the help.

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
im at a place called hart park near lake ming. it is on the kern about 45min drive to the mouth of the canyon going to (lower kern) lake isabella. the parks are legal no claims to worry about here and up in lake isabella is the original gold strike of kern county in keyesville and they have somthing like 400 acres of public land to prospect on but only hand tools. great place to fish too

Funphoto

May 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Panning in Ventura County

Im new to the Site. Just getting started my youngest son is loving the Gold rush show And wants me to take him Panning.
Thanks for any help
Jim

Hey all!
I know this thread was started several years ago, but if anyone still watches this, and is interested, I have a gold and gem mining/hunting club in Camarillo. I actually have an event coming up Saturday, May 21st, from 10am - 12pm at a local park. I'm purchasing, in bulk, about $200 in gold mine earth, and about the same in tourmaline mine earth. You can reserve either, or both, for $20 for 1 lb of gold earth, or $20 for 10 lb of tourmaline earth. I am also about to place an order for gold pans and gem classifiers/sifters, for $15 each. Please just let me know in advance so I can plan accordingly.
feel free to email me or call with questions or to reserve a spot!
[email protected]
(408) 422-3540
https://www.facebook.com/HVTGold/

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Randy Seden has more knowledge of that area than anyone I've ever known. He is fantastic about helping folks too. Good miner here on the forum, look'm up and pm for the best a the best bar none-John

S

stefen

Might want to try west Ventura County and all of Santa Barbara County...get a USGS maps and locate all streams (especially those emptying into the ocean)...

Most of the other sites mentioned are out of the region due to not being geographically familiar.

Your goal is to introduce your son to panning...not digging a mine...

Learn by taking baby steps...

Enjoy the father/son bonding...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread