Gold in Texas

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Does anyone know of gold being in Texas? A few years ago GPAA said there was no gold here, but friends of mine are telling me bout gold in the LLano river area, no one has come up with amounts and I'm wondering, is it true? Are we gonna have a rush here...lol. One of my bucketlist items is to pan for gold and it would be so much easier if it was close, relatively, to do it in Texas....goat

Upvote 0

XT18000

May 26, 2008
There is Gold in the Llano and the GPPA has a place on it to hunt there but thats all I
can tell you about it. Unless you can get permission from one of the ranchers to do it ( yea right! )
on there property you can forget about it in Texass. If you are some place in East Texas you
might think about driving over to AL. and go to the Alabama Gold Camp. Thats about as close
a spot as you are going to find. If you are in North or West or South Texas then look at N.M.

ArizonaGoldFever

Apr 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, there is gold in Texas. Just ask the Spanish that made off with most of it! Seriously though, there are 2 GPAA clubs in Texas. One is in Llano and the other group meets in Round Rock. There is one public place in Kingsland/Llano area to pan. I was not a regular member of their groups when I lived there but I did go out a few times a year when they had outings. Most outings were on private property and they had the owner's permission to be there. That is why you do not hear much about gold prospecting in Texas, all land is pretty much privately owned. These groups do the research, find the gold bearing areas and make contact with the property owners. Most are quite friendly and happy to have the GPAA show them where the gold is. haha

You can find the chapter contacts in every edition of the Gold Prospector's magazine that comes out every couple of months. They will have the phone numbers and email of those GPAA groups in Texas.

I did not see large quantities of gold on the outings I went to. You do a lot of hard work just to find some fine flakes or coarse wire like gold. No nuggets have come out of those areas that I know of.

Hope this info helps.

~J
http://arizona-gold-fever.blogspot.com/

ArizonaGoldFever

Apr 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
there is more helpful info on a thread started in gold prospecting section:

TreasureNet Forum > Prospecting > Gold Prospecting > Panning For Gold (Moderators: jeff of pa, River Rat) > Topic: Gold Panning The Llano River In Texas

OP
OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
thanks for the info Arizona. Since I wrote this little missive, I have found that there are places to pan in Texas, up round the Llano area and a couple of others... also found a GPAA club in Granbury, right down the road from me....thanks for the help....goat

ArizonaGoldFever

Apr 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Well be sure to take some pics of that Lone Star Gold if you find some! I never had much luck there myself, just a few specks and flakes embedded in some quartz.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread