Can anyone tell me how good Nevada is for gold detecting?

Badger 5

Mar 7, 2011
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab
Gold seeker
I don't know much about S. Nevada I'm up North,But I have heard a lot of guys go down to AZ. and have good luck. Vegas is not far from AZ. There is a GPAA club in S. Nevada you might look them up for Info. too

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
goldseeker4000 said:
I am thinking of spending next winter in southern NV hunting gold with detectors and wondering what areas I should look into for nuggets.

Hi there--I thought I'd respond as this request needs some attention, and even though I'm not the best person to help out (there must be someone here from the southern part of Nevada that can provide much better information), I'm sure someone will help you out with some specific information.

I haven't chased the gold (in any proper way) in Nevada (I did some detecting close to Vegas on a mountainside and recovered a lot of bullets--I think I stumbled on to an informal shooting range!). I know a guy from Idaho that detects up at Rye Patch, but that's way closer to Reno, and completely in the wrong direction.

However, I have been nugget hunting over at Gold Basin, and on some claims close Gold Basin, but that's in Arizona, but not a terribly long drive from Las Vegas though. If you're thinking of detecting in southern Nevada, why not see if Doc has any information on areas to hunt/clubs to join, etc.? Check out his forum and maybe post a request over there at his place.

All the best,

Lanny

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some righteous pure silver plates from a long gone stamp mill from the Colorado placers downstream from the dam but nuggets--sorry no as micro gold rules the deserts and mostly hardrock--but for every rule there are exceptions. Norther nevada much better or AZ. John

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a couple of places in the area but they're hard to get to and in the middle of nowhere .

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cherokee_kid, haven't seen you around for sometime and it's good to see you posting.
take care and be safe out there. ron

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I was gone for a while. My brother in law has been gone on his prospecting trip for about a year now so my trip that I went on seems short .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread