What is the largest nugget ever found in CA?

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't ordinarily bring old threads back to life but this one turned up in a web search

The largest 20th century nugget found in California is a 44 pound (after processing) crystalline specimen found at the Jamestown mine (Sonora Mining Corp).

Here's a link with a pic:

Ironstone Vineyards - About Ironstone - Museum and Gold Leaf Specimen

I happen to have the inside story on the nugget, which I have copied from correspondence and offer following:

This is the piece of crystalline gold - reputed to be the largest [such] specimen in the world - found on Dec. 26th 1992 (not Christmas Day as the web site says, but it was known as the Christmas Nugget). Sharon was driving a 100-ton capacity haul truck in the pits that evening and *may* have been the one who hauled it in. No one knows for sure. It was only discovered when it stopped the crusher. The pocket contained much more but nothing even approaching the size of this one piece.

At the time it was found it was valued at approx $1.3 million and was given to the County in lieu of a cash bond against land restoration, something the County Supervisors threw in the way in their attempts to close the mine down. This nugget alone kept the mine operating for another 4 years.

I'm not a swinger but I married a gold digger! :tongue3:

Rascal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions