What is the largest nugget ever found in CA?

Badger 5

Mar 7, 2011
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab
I saw a marker on Hy 70 close to Portola CA. it said in 1850 a 51lb nugget was found. I don't know if that's the biggest,But I would like to find one like that.

Badger 5

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
A "nugget" suggests, at least to me a mass that is mostly gold. But the largest mass of gold from CA was actually a "boulder": a combination of gold and quartz, found near Susanville, CA in the 1860's. Said to have weighed over 400 pounds as I recall (and I can't give a citation for this one). I remember it was found several feet deep, and was shaped like a dumbbell, with masses of gold on either end, and a long, thinner quartz bar between the masses. In trying to lift the boulder, the quartz bar broke, leaving two fairly large masses of gold no longer attached together.

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
huge specimens aside,there was the 54 lb channel nug kicked up by willards pack animal while crossing the creek at magalia in the 1850 s i believe.he sold it for grubstake and spent every dime looking for more.according to records,he found little else in that area. :icon_scratch:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Need to point out there is a difference between "Niger", which is the scientific name for "thistle", and "Nigger", which the rest of your post suggests may be the actual site name, no longer politically correct.

"Niger" seeds are a favorite food of goldfinches, and what gardeners hate.

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
do you enjoy semantics?or just correcting people.the topic is big nugs in ca.,so contribute,or troll elsewhere.peace. :icon_sunny:edit,accidently posted this pic,can u see the western tanager nest center foreground,on tip of oak branch.hollow front door nest,standard,but they installed a piece of blue poly tarp on top,w. tanagers sorta like orioles,very colorfull.some are quite smart,as well.

Attachments

• PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,189

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Semantics is the study of the meanings of words. I did not suggest semantics, you did patches63.

And yes, my last job was as a proofreader for a major newspaper.

The problem is you don't understand semantics. Nor, apparently, the words being used.

English is a poor language for communicating with, at best. Using a malapropism instead of the correct word makes communication between Homo sapiens difficult.

Case in point: Have you never been bussed, or have you only been bused? Do you know the difference between these words? (semantics, but an important difference)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As said,there is a difference in Lump,and nugget.Many of the BIG finds of the gold rush were never recorded as it was a liability to have in a remote camp.I have read accounts of miners actually breaking huge specimens to make the split and to aid in concealment

The Carson Hill Lump was reputed as the largest,this account states 114 pounds but it was actually closer to 190 lbs

http://malakoff.com/goldcountry/carsonhi.htm

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
A "nugget" suggests, at least to me a mass that is mostly gold. But the largest mass of gold from CA was actually a "boulder": a combination of gold and quartz, found near Susanville, CA in the 1860's. Said to have weighed over 400 pounds as I recall (and I can't give a citation for this one). I remember it was found several feet deep, and was shaped like a dumbbell, with masses of gold on either end, and a long, thinner quartz bar between the masses. In trying to lift the boulder, the quartz bar broke, leaving two fairly large masses of gold no longer attached together.

:laughing7:Never heard that one before......thats not even a gold bearing area

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Makes my 6oz. seem like a puny nothing, thanks alot Kuger.
But at the same time gives me some hope of the chance of finding a bigger nugget. :tongue3:

There are a few good books that cover this topic of large nuggets, some try to catalog the nuggets and masses, some are worldwide. Got them here somewhere.
Don't like to read stuff like that much rather be out looking for my next largest nugget. :laughing7:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the largest nugget that ever came out of Montana was 16 lbs. from deadwood gulch. Another very large one came out of McClellan gulch. Not sure if I spelled it right. You will get shot going up in that gulch. The claim owner patrols every day on horseback and a rifle. Except for winter months.

OP
OP
ArizonaGoldFever

ArizonaGoldFever

Apr 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
ok, I should have made my question a little more specific. What is the largest "documented" nugget ever found in CA, i.e. pictures or newspaper accounts of the find? For the sake of this discussion lets ignore masses of gold embedded in quartz veins that had to be broken apart. If you can't get it out in one piece then it doesn't count in my record book. Perhaps another good thread to start would be what is the largest mass of gold ever found...I'll save that for another day.

As far as undocumented finds go...my research department tells me it was a 450lb nugget found in Sasquatch Gulch. It was actually picked up by Bigfoot and no one has seen either one since. (sarcasm) :laughing9:

Thanks to everyone for the links provided. Looks like I have plenty more research to do!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For over 150 years it's been called Niger Hill-maps state Niger Hill-always has been---always will be and let the panties twist as history changes for noboby--John :read2:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser John said:
For over 150 years it's been called Niger Hill-maps state Niger Hill-always has been---always will be and let the panties twist as history changes for noboby--John :read2:

The "hill",is still producing to his day John......some recent arrests were made last year.I knew it was there for years,just wasnt greedy as some were which they payed for in the end,but ruined it for everybody.....I am sure you have seen that happen a time or two?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread