New coil for GMT Came

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! Let us know how it does for you. I been thinking about getting one of those for relic hunting on my MXT. I know your not going to be able to get into tight places with it but I know your going to be covering some more ground faster. Would be a great coil out in the open. Tim

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Fellas,
I've just returned home, been helping for two days to take care of my ailing mother. She smoked for ~ 30 years and is now paying the price as she has COPD, a breathing disorder likely caused by smoking. If any of you are smokers give it up, if any of you are thinking about starting DONT! Her life is now a living Hell of not being able to get enough air, can't eat properly as she can't breathe, she can't enjoy going out as she can't take the strain and can't breathe and in general her life is miserable. From watching her I know I'm glad I never smoked, what a bad way to end ones life!

I should get to messing with the detector and the coils next week as soon as I've taken care of some handyman jobs to pay for the $4.00 a gallon of gas I used on the round trip to Mom's.

63bkpkr

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there,

So sorry to hear about your mother--that's a real tragedy.

Hope you get a chance to use that new coil, and hope you find some gold to boot.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Lanny,
It's tough too see someone you love, especially someone who loves you and has cared for you and about you all her life, in such a miserable
and fearful situation and there is not much I can do except care for her while she is still alive. Smoking is an Evil thing!

This evening I thought I'd get the GMT out so as to bring all of the equipment into one box and to insure that I had everything I need together before I pack my belongings up and loose some part of the detecting system in a box in a storage shed. While I had all of the gear out I thought I'd take a few comparison pictures.
#8620 shows all three GMT coils side by side with a typical 9 volt battery for size
#8621 shows the standard GMT box and rod setup
#8622 shows the nonstandard rod setup with the box removed for hip mounting (note: the hip mount is for the "XLT" but fits the GMT)

Nitro as well as others including myself were concerned about the total system weight of the detector with the 8 x 14 coil installed. I've tried to cover all the bases concerning the Swinging Weight of the System so I have the "swingy thingy" adapter as well as the hipmount system to use. I should have some combination of setup choices that will allow me to use the 8 x 14 for long periods of time without turning my arms to rubber
thus making use of the 8 x 14 enjoyable. Now if the brush is not too thick so I can actually use the new coil over open ground. This is yet to be determined.

More info later..............63bkpkr

Attachments

• 186_8620.JPG
    186_8620.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 331
  • 186_8621.JPG
    186_8621.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 338
  • 186_8622.JPG
    186_8622.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 335

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
Nice looking lineup Herb.. Have you had a chance to do any testing on the 8x14 yet? I have my M6 sold, so with all my clad to cash in I'm hoping I have enough to get another GMT.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nitro,
I've moved and I'm helping to take care of our mother who is terminally ill from smoking for 30 plus years. I've not had time to do anything with the new coil except move it to the storage shed. Maybe this coming week I will be able to play with it some.

Doc's Swingy Thingy looks neat and will work with any of the coils and then I have the hip mount system from my XLT that works with the GMT so regardless of the weight of the coil I will be able to take the main weight of the detector down to a bare minimum, the coil-cable and rod.

I will test it all out asap but from what I'm thinking this will be a great summer with the detector and the new "stuff" for it!

Regards..........63bkpkr

Note - I've been getting a lot of floor cleaning with a wet mop so my arms will be in better shape for the summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread