Magnet while digging

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
I know that size matters, but I prefer several little magnets, to one big one. I have about a dozen ceramic magnets, (about 2 1/2" X 1" X 3/8") and about 20 rare earth magnets, (about 1" X 1" X 1/8"). Even separating one of the ceramic magnets from the stack, is something done with a great deal of caution. And getting one of the rare earth magnets to separate can easily result in injury. My reason for choosing to go with multiple magnets, over single larger magnets, is that its more convenient to be able to use them stacked, or separate them and lay them side by side on a piece of steel, with opposing poles facing each direction, N-S-N-S-N-S etc... When laid out as mentioned, they work great under a sluice box, but they do tend to leave a pattern in the black sand collected.

The reason for using steel backing the magnets in the above application, is that it keeps the magnets nicely in line and it increases the gauss (magnetic field strength), similar to the magnets used in stereo speakers, (another source for magnets). From what I've read on the subject, steel backing of magnets approximately doubles the gauss of the magnet, (but don't quote me on that).

As mentioned, it is a good idea to use something between your magnets and the items they may come in contact with. Making some single, or double plastic covers for your magnets from lexan/plexiglass, or other similar materials can save a lot of time consuming cleaning and possible damage. For example, someone who wants to use a barrel shaped magnet for removing black sand from concentrates, could use a pill bottle, where the magnet can fit inside the smaller pill bottle. Gluing, or otherwise attaching a piece of wire to the magnet as it sits in the bottom of the bottle and having the wire extend out through a hole in the top of the bottle, would allow you to pick up iron then release it by lifting the wire/magnet, (causing an increase in distance between the iron and magnet), enough to drop the iron elsewhere. I used to see a device like this advertised for sale, but that was many years ago.

F.

Ghalt

Greenie
Aug 3, 2008
dumb question, but isn't iron the only metal that will be attracted by a magnet?

I know I'm a newb, but I don't understand what good a magnet would be for finding more valuable targets.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghalt said:
dumb question, but isn't iron the only metal that will be attracted by a magnet?

I know I'm a newb, but I don't understand what good a magnet would be for finding more valuable targets.

Those rare earth magnets grab gold nuggets out of the ground like :happy1: Nah, just kidding.

If you have ever hunted old mining camps, those magnets will make it alot easier to check out a small iffy target which could be a nugget. Boot tacks, bits of wire and can slaw can drive you nutz when searching and a magnet will let you hunt faster by attracting the iron out of your dirt pile.

As far as coin shooting, get that iron out of the way and there might be a good target underneath.

My digging tools have wood handles so I drilled a hole in the end and epoxied a magnet there.

HH
Steve

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hubby got us both a magnet to use when detecting. He thought it would be good to use to pull whatever object it is in the ground out...but we have yet to use them. So, don't know how well it works. I might try it when we go on our Pipsico hunt..have to remember to bring it.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 464
  • 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 462

EARTHLING

Aug 17, 2008
DALLAS TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SHADOW x5.... GOLDTRAX... D.P. WADER.... NAUTILUS DMC II B
robbor said:
Does anybody use a magnet while digging to easily find nails and iron? If so what do you use?
Speaker magnet, rare earth magnet? I was thinking of a large rare earth magnet just wondering if it will interfear with the detector.

go to a pawn shop and find an old 6" or 8" speaker and tear it apart for the magnet.... just keep it on some kind of hook behind your back on your belt and it wont interfere

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread