Magnet while digging

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=robbor just wondering if it will interfear with the detector.
Just the metalic mass of the magnet as with any other similar piece of metal

However, it IS a good idea to keep it away from your control box, especially if it is non-metalic.

Tropical Tramp

T

TREETOPPER

Just curious,
How would a magnet truly benefit a metal detectionist or one who is prospecting with a detector? I would like to know as well, is it really necessary.

Jim McCulloch

Mar 27, 2003
Almost all serious nugget hunters use a digging tool with a super magnet affiixed to it. I carry a Mag Hoe with a super magnet attached to the handle end (i.e. opposite of the digging end) and then, while detecting, I carry the digging end of the Mag Hoe, with the magnet end pointing down. When I get a signal, I roughly pinpoint the target with my coil, pull the coil off to the side, and bend over and jab/scrape the target area with the magnet. If the target was a piece of loose iron, it will affix to the magnet. Passing the coil back over the site will reveal if the signal has now disappeared. Furthermore, when digging a target, probing the magnet in the loose dirt will help capture those pieces of iron which had been too deeply buried to capture earlier. So, get your self a strong magnet, it will save a tremendous amount of wasted time. HH Jim

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Good Question, Robbor.

I hadn't thought much about it, but know it does make sense. Not just for gold detecting either, but any type of MDing.

Seems with a good strong magnet it could latch on to a target or nuisance piece in cases where the pinpointer is just missing it.

Hope more chime in here; interesting :D

DFIU (Dick from IA)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a magnet recently with my detector and the signal bounced all over the scale. I couldn't figure out what the heck I had under my coil. I dug at it and couldn't find anything, swept it with my coil again and there was no signal. I thought that was odd so I started to move on and saw it sticking on the back of my digging tool! It was a little small black magnet, highly polished black color and looked to be about the size of a pinto bean. It was really powerful for its size and I have it sticking on my refrigerator with all the grandkids stuff. Just an amusing anecdote as my wife says when I tell her about something like that! ::) Monty

OP
OP
R

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
Re: Magnet for treetopper

Not 100% necessary but sure would save me alot of time with nails in some of the old mines, would also help for bottle caps. I just keep forgetting to bring one. Right now Im looking at a 2" diam rare earth magnet that should lift 170#s so hopefully it should make the nails jump to it a little easier. Give it a try and you will probably never be without one again.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
What exactly is a rare earth magnet? How does it compare to other magnets? I've heard of people talk of magnets from speakers. How do they compare to rare earth magnets. What size? power? or however they are measured.

I have used magnets to clean the magnitite from my black sands but I don't think they are as strong as what you are talking about.

Enlighten me.

OP
OP
R

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
I cant say for sure, but they are rated in N's for their strength and should be about 2x+ as strong as a normal speaker magnet at least. I have tons of speaker magnets they are un impressive. I have a few small 1/2 x 3/16 rare earth magnets and wow do they pull. The strength is kind of decieving because it has to be in contact to have that kind of pull. I have been looking at some 1" x 1" cylinders rated about n40-42 for taking prospecting. I would like to get 2-3 to have for the next time I got out(who knows when_) most of the guys that sell on ebay sell them for about $7 ea but you have to buy 4. her you go:
The highest grade neo magnet is the most powerful magnet so far. Comparing with ceramic 8 mangets, the grade N40 neo magnet is is roughly 8 times stronger.

I have no idea how a ceramic compares to a iron mag.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sometimes lock strap a magnet to my aluminum sand scoop. I use a magnet off an old drop light that is strong enough to pick up a bicycle. Not near the strength of that rare earth monster, but pretty darn stout. Monty

Colorado Bob

May 6, 2005
Just about all of us guys that nugget-shoot use the Neodymium [rare earth] magnet. There is no comparison what so ever, in strength, to any other magnet.

The ones we use come in different size, the large one which I think is the best, is somewhere around 2" long by about an inch wide, maybe a little more, by maybe 1/4" thick. I think that now they run around $20.00 for the large one.

We put it on the head of the pick, [the flat end, not the pointed end] due to the strength it will stay in place fairly well, even with the impact of the pick digging in the hard rocky dirt.

You need to be careful when you put it on as it can take a piece of skin off your finger if you get it caught between the mag. and the pick head and you will not be able to pull the magnet off with your hand.

If you need to take it off the pick, the best way is too try to slide it off and that is not so easy.

When you put it on, its best to hold the edge of the magnet up to the edge of the pick and try to slide it on. If you try to hold the flat side of the mag. to the flat side of the pick it will slam on so hard that sometimes it will crack the mag. as well as grab a piece of your finger.

A good place to buy them is from Nuggethunting.com, he also sells high-end metal detectors, gators, coils and other related gear. I have always had great and fast service from them.

He also has a nuggethunter forum, where a number of the pros hang out as well as some of the newbies. Its a good place to find professional advice if you are into this field of detecting.

Bob T.

staceysallaboutu

Jul 9, 2006
Fonda, New York
Detector(s) used
White xlt/Minelab Quattro
I use a small pen magnet its strong enough to grab them nails and i don't have to strain my eyes triing to find them. It is one of them telescoping magnets looks like a pen. clips on my pouch easy to carry and always handy in those trashy places.

outdoors2i

Greenie
Mar 25, 2008
Henry Co, VA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX w/ x-1 probe & sunray pro phones
If you don't want to purchase 1 of those rare earth magnets, you can find them in old computer hard drives. They are small, but pretty strong for there size. Just open up an old computer and the hard drive is the thing that looks like an aluminum box(which it is). You will need some of those small star bit screwdrivers to open the drive box(Radio Shack carries a small set of these fairly cheap) I epoxyied 1 of these to my trowel handle and another to my small mattox wooden handle. There are several of these magnets in all of the older computers and most people know of someone that has 1 or 2 old computers in the garage or basement. I hope this info helps someone. ( I even have 2 stuck to my folding pocket knife, never know what rock you might pick up and check with your magnet and be 1 of those meteorites!)

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
At Tractor Supply they have this round magnet (about two inch by two inch) on a metal rod about two feet long. Do you think that would work? I have one of those small ones that look like an ink pen and it is good at picking up black sand but not very much of it.
I'd really appreciate an answer.

Thank you,
Pepper

outdoors2i

Greenie
Mar 25, 2008
Henry Co, VA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX w/ x-1 probe & sunray pro phones
That sounds like a good 1 specially if it's 1 of the neo earth mags. Maybe someone there at the store knows if it is. The size you mentioned is about the size of the stronger mags. They can really pickup alot compared to their size. Hope that helps.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If you get a rare earth magnet 3/4 x 1/8 with or without the hole in the center you will not believe how much pulling power they have. If you get the one with the hole in the center you can screw it to your ax handle.without the hole it will clamp right on your sand scoop or your land digger.if 2 of them clamp together it is really hard to get them apart.Yes them n-42 rare earth magnets will make your detecting a lot more fun it is like haveing a pinpointer you don't leave home without it and once you use a good magnet you won't leave home with out it.....................==Jim==

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
Any feed supply store has very strong and cheap magnets used in one of cattle's 4 stomachs (the reticulum I think...) to pick up wires that they eat....They are cylinder shaped and rounded on both ends. I drilled a hole in the handle of my small pick and slid it in with some glue...works well and it's cheap!

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
I used the cow magnets killerwine described for a lot of years and they were great, but I abandoned them for those incredibly powerful ones someone described here that come out of hard drives. Only problem with the cow magnets or the HD magnets is they're difficult to clean up. Eventually I started keeping a sleeve, such as a freezer-bag around them and the tool they were attached to so's to make it possible to just pull off the sleeve and be left with a pristine magnet. Otherwise a person will end up with all manner of metal splinters nagging at the fingers from trying to rub off trash metal from the surface.

Jack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread