Garrett gold stinger questions...

pityocamptes

Jul 5, 2003
I own a garrett gold stinger but have used it primarily for metal detecting. I've used it a few times for prospecting but got very frustrated on which knobs to turn, what to listen for when nugget hunting, etc. I was wondering if the machine I have is decent and can anyone help me with how to be more proficient. (I realize this is the net and don't expect a real detailed explanation - perhaps someone can point me to a web site or book, etc.). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was my first detector, and looking back on it now, my advice to you would be to put it up for auction on Ebay and get something more workable. That machine was the objuect of tons of frustration. They have that stupid discriminator knob that you can't tell where it starts and where it stops and the settings are real confusing. If you want to keep it, the best way to set it up is to get a couple of different sized gold nuggets and tape them to a card (or you can even glue them to an old credit card) and then put these under your detector and turn the knobs until you get the desired signal when you swing the coil by them. I would sell this detector and focus on getting a Minelab gold detector. I think they make a cheaper one ($600-700) and a really expensive ($3000 model) one. Beleive me, you will get alot more satisfaction out of another detector and not spend so much time frustrated. I gave mine to my father in law (who probably has turned it on on two occasions in the last 5 years). Also, alot of folks do real well with the "Gold Bug" by Fisher?, ithink.
Detectors really are geared for three basic types of hunting. 1) Gold 2) Parks and inland hunting 3) Beach hunting. There are a few that do well in all three, but they are somewhat rare and can get expensive. My first question would be what type of hunting do yopu do the most of and what type of hunting do you think you want to focus on the most? Then you can gear yourself towards the type of machine that will give you the best results. Ask on this forum. Everybody has an opinion. I am partial to minelab detectors because they have been very good to me and are probably the easiest detector I have ever used. Just set it up once and turn it on and go. Now I just turn it on and go. No hassles.
Hope this answers some of your question. wink

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Pityocamptes,
Did you move to another detector, or have you had better luck using this one?

OP
OP
P

pityocamptes

Jul 5, 2003
I'm still on this one. Trying to get better at it. I figure since I spent over 3 bills for this thing I might as well get to know it. (Plus my wife probably won't sanction a new purchase :cry: )

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that's what I had bucking up against me initially too. Then I convinced her that it would make a great gift for her dad! I gave it to him and he's only used it maybe twice, but ... I was able to get a used spectrum xlt from a friend in a prospecting club I was in and that's when I started having fun. Don't get frustrated if you can't figure that one out. It is not an easy machine, by any means. At a minimum you will need 100 hrs of time with it before you begin to understand it. Re-read the manual 2-3 times and after every few hunts. It will help you cactch a lot of things you have missed in the beginning. I found that if I turned the one knob backwards at least 10 times (maybe more), that this would guarantee that I was starting from zero. That spinning knob thing with no stops drove me crazy. Try giving the detector to your father in law!
Then you will have accomplished three things. You will have made your wife happy to see her husband getting along so well with her father.
You'll have a new hunting partner, and you'll be able to buy one that will work well without too many bells and whistles right from the git go!
Good luck. Let us know what you find!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PRACTICE,PATIENCE,AND PERSEVERENCE!! It might not be the best by far but if ya could really learn it,even for coins,rings and things all ya need is good ring to buy a good used gold unit on the forums.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

S

srdraftcad

coinshooter

I am partial to minelab detectors because they have been very good to me and are probably the easiest detector I have ever used. Just set it up once and turn it on and go. Now I just turn it on and go. No hassles.

In AZ almost 99.99% Gold detector use GP 3000, and I will buy one as soon I find couple nuggets. Meanwhile I have to use My GTI2500, in all metal,12-1/2" imaging coil.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a nice unit, and if it finds gold, that's all that really counts.
I am not that smart when it comes to figuring out all the electronic gadgetry that these new "super detectors" have, so when something easy to use comes along, for a great price compared to the other units, I'm more than wiilling to give my opinion on how I've done with it. I think I will be a minelab owner for the rest of my life. I guess that's how we all become loyal to our detector manufacturers. Keep on huntin, perserverance, research, and stamina are the keys to this hobby!

Fred

Apr 3, 2003
Princeton,BC,Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
CS; It's too bad that we aren't close to each other. If you could see how easy it is to use the new Whites GMT that I have you would not believe it. Maybe you could send for their free video and see for yourself. Fred

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread